GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

URD USA Aftermarket Exhaust, Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 10:57 AM
QSVeilside
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URD USA Aftermarket Exhaust, Supercharger

The aftermarket for the 4.6L is dismal. In an effort to improve our options I have contacted Gadget at URD. He is willing to fab up a 304 stainless steel catback exhaust. He also has a 4.6L presently being evaluated for a supercharger application. If anyone is in the area and is interested in a stainless catback exhaust please swing by as he needs to take a look at the undercarriage.

His contact info is as follows:

Underdog Racing Development, LLC
P.O. Box 39
Huntingtown, MD 20639
USA

Tel: (877) 887-3872
Fax: (410) 630-5011
Old 02-26-14, 11:11 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not in the area but my question is, will this be a dual cat back exhaust which will retain the factory spare tire location? If so I'm interested.
Old 02-26-14, 11:18 AM
QSVeilside
Rookie

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I'm not in the area but my question is, will this be a dual cat back exhaust which will retain the factory spare tire location? If so I'm interested.
Unless it is a true dual exhaust, meaning no y pipe - manifold to x pipe or straight pipes, and dual mufflers exits, it's kind of a waste of time as it probably hurts performance. I am unsure if Gadget can fab up a true dual system. The folks that have fabbed up duals on this forum have done so primarily for cosmetic reasons - single muffler with two exits.

Last edited by QSVeilside; 02-26-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-28-14, 04:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by QSVeilside
Unless it is a true dual exhaust, meaning no y pipe - manifold to x pipe or straight pipes, and dual mufflers exits, it's kind of a waste of time as it probably hurts performance. I am unsure if Gadget can fab up a true dual system. The folks that have fabbed up duals on this forum have done so primarily for cosmetic reasons - single muffler with two exits.
Please explain why my muffler replacement with the Max Flow 1 in and 2 out would "hurt performance". I have less chambers so my system allows better expel of exhaust so I assume this to be a positive in performance. I also recall a second muffler near the tip that was eliminated.
Old 02-28-14, 07:58 PM
QSVeilside
Rookie

Originally Posted by tecman
Please explain why my muffler replacement with the Max Flow 1 in and 2 out would "hurt performance". I have less chambers so my system allows better expel of exhaust so I assume this to be a positive in performance. I also recall a second muffler near the tip that was eliminated.
Google it.
Old 03-01-14, 07:25 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Some mufflers dampen more noise than others, and performance exhaust mufflers are tuned to enhance the natural rumble of your exhaust. Some mufflers have a splitter at their backside that converts a single head pipe into dual exiting tailpipes, giving the cars, trucks and SUVs the appearance of a dual exhaust. True dual exhausts, though, have two mufflers - one for each exhaust manifold.

Quote from,
http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A6A116A1.aspx
see mufflers
2012 video

I did Google and found limited results. I tried to call Flow Master but they are not available at this time. My search has not found any negative results regarding my set up, only positive.

I will contact Max Flow to get there input and report back.

Last edited by tecman; 03-01-14 at 08:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oldmanb777 (04-22-17)
Old 04-20-17, 09:33 PM
visuthdy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anybody ever get a custom catback exhaust from URD or any other manufacturer? All is see if first gen gx470 and nothing for gx460.
Old 04-22-17, 07:32 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
You opened a can of worms with that question. I built some exhausts many years ago for my race bikes, and some cars. All things must perform together. Today all the systems are very closely matched, and if you change one, without compensating in some way with all the other items going on, you WILL hurt all around performance. Something will suffer. A very successful engineer I knew when growing up tried to explain all that to us on many occasions. He built a successful racing enterprise. Designed for some successful racing teams.
Ever stand behind a 2 stroke motorcycle, and feel the sound wave hit you? that is lost power coming out the tail pipe, was his analogy. The ONLY time a free flowing exhaust(noisy) is of benefit, is at full throttle, red line RPM and ONLY if all other things are capable of matching it.
Yes it helps your seat of the pants feel better, but usually it results in poorer performance in most driving situations.