Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which exhaust is good

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-01, 08:58 PM
changster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to sound stupid, I don't know much about exhaust system. I am new at this, in the market to get a good exhaust that is not too loud. There are few different exhaust, I am looking at Tanabi exhaust I think that is the right spelling. RMM, Blitz. Don't know which one is good, or if there are other that I don't know about. Any input will be helpful. thanks
Old 06-23-01, 09:29 PM
Risk3233
Driver

I'm going to do my best to integrate what I know about this subject. BTW this topic is discussed beyond in-depth on IS.net.

The OEM exhaust is a traditional baffled type of cannister which has 2" piping leading to the cannister. It's rather heavy about 15 lbs. It creates decent power, and is really quiet.

Most of the aftermarket exhausts systems out there replace only the rear section of the exhaust. The exception is the Tanabe which replaces the exhaust at the main catalytic ("cat") convertor.

Generally the aftermarket exhaust have larger piping leading to the cannister; generally 2 1/4" or in some cases 2 1/2". The cannister is also different in that some of the systems use low restriction baffled units similar to the stock unit (i.e. Stillen, TRD) or round cannisters (i.e. 5Zigen, HKS, Blitz, Magnaflow).

Two things to consider is noise and power. Generally, most of the systems will be louder than OEM, but do create noticeable power increases. I'm not qualified to state the noise increases because I haven't heard them all. Personally, I have the 5Zigen and it is louder than stock, but not as loud as other systems as reported by others. You will get add'l power w/an aftermarket system when compared to OEM. BTW some of these aftermarket systems have independent dyno runs posted on IS.net. The added benefit of the 5Zigen is that it is 7 lbs. lighter than stock.

Perhaps an add'l consideration is whether a back portion is better or just as good as a full cat-back system. IMO the OEM piping from the main cat is pretty good and that any gains from a full cat-back system will create small power gains at the expense of a lot of noise.

All the systems currently being offered are quality units and you really can't go wrong w/any of them. It boils down to the noise of the system and the desired power gains.

Sorry it's so long.

Old 06-24-01, 01:14 AM
changster
Rookie

thanks risk your inform helps me understand alot more now
Old 06-24-01, 03:07 PM
YLW IS300
Pole Position

putting sound aside and going strictly for power what order would you rate them in?
Old 06-24-01, 07:38 PM
Risk3233
Driver

I'm only basing this recommendation of documented proof, but the HKS Hiper appears to make over double digit hp gains in the low teens.

The Hiper has been documented on individual dyno runs by IS net members.

IMO it probably makes the most at this time, but I haven't seen the Toyomoto dyno runs.
Old 06-26-01, 09:12 AM
sbmIS300
Driver School Candidate

GReddy just released their cat-back EVO exhaust. Check out this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=16675
Old 06-28-01, 08:09 AM
aust182
Rookie

great info for those of us thinking about getting a system. I wish there was a way of raniking the systems in dB gains. Sure would be nice to have a trade-off matrix of sound vs. power gains.
Old 06-28-01, 11:15 PM
wdskuk
Rookie

Default get the tanabe

I have the tanabe and it sound so sweet. It sound almost liek a turbo muffler. Not too loud or soft. It's perfect. As for power i'm thinking of 8-10