GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Do you see rust under your GX 460?
Yes
49.36%
No
50.64%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 05:52 AM
spectrum1c
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lanolin works!

I can attest to fluid film/woolwax preventing rust. We live in a coastal community which also gets snowy winters. Rust is pretty brutal here given the salt air, wet foggy mornings, and salted roads in winter.
I sprayed the undercarriage of our 2020 gx460 when new last summer with a full quart of woolwax and the application gun/nozzles/extension wand from the woolwax company. Last year I was able to find a coupon on the ih8tmud forum which may still be available. I did this on my lawn by driving the gx up 4 rhino ramps to give extra space underneath and it couldn't have taken me more than 2 hours max with alot of the focus being to spray inside any openings I could find (I've read these frames mostly rust from the inside out). Would have preferred to do it in the driveway but not sure if woolwax is safe for asphalt.
I went to recoat this year and there is absolutely no rust except for some very small areas which I had previously missed. Didn't even need a full quart this time around as most areas already had a thick coating from last year. This year took me about an hour to apply/touchup, again focusing on any openings within the frame which I could find.
Does anyone know if woolwax/fluid film is safe on asphalt. It gets pretty messy crawling around grass with woolwax overspray allover. Doing it on the driveway would be nicer
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (10-18-21)
Old 10-29-21, 11:58 AM
22GXOR
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are your thoughts on professional rust protection/ prevention from companies such as Ziebart?

https://www.ziebart.com/auto-care-se...ction-services

We bought a 22' GX and are planning to keep it till the wheels fall off. We live in NJ so it will see a fair amount of salt.
I was quoted $799 with annual $69 touch ups, which provides a 10 year warranty.

If any one has any experience with them I would appreciate the input.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-21, 03:30 AM
WTrouble88
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 22GXOR
What are your thoughts on professional rust protection/ prevention from companies such as Ziebart?

https://www.ziebart.com/auto-care-se...ction-services

We bought a 22' GX and are planning to keep it till the wheels fall off. We live in NJ so it will see a fair amount of salt.
I was quoted $799 with annual $69 touch ups, which provides a 10 year warranty.

If any one has any experience with them I would appreciate the input.

Thanks.
NEVER EVER EVER EVER use Ziebarts. This company is responsible for the destruction of many a GX, and any other makes/models they can get their hands on. The problem with these “Bedliner” type coating systems is that the eventually fail by blistering. Then water gets trapped under the coating and you can’t see the corrosion until it peels, revealing it’s devastating result. PLEASE….use an oil or wax film coating such as Fluid film, or even better….hard wax film marine grade CPC ( brands like CRC). I use CRC heavy duty marine grade CPC on the entire undercarriage, to include wiring, and then I fog in Fluid film inside the frame members and into all of the body panel and door drainage holes. Works fantastic. My daughter’s VW had the ziebart system and it literally destroyed the car due to hidden corrosion damage.
22GXOR (11-03-21)
Old 11-03-21, 12:42 PM
22GXOR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WTrouble88
NEVER EVER EVER EVER use Ziebarts. This company is responsible for the destruction of many a GX, and any other makes/models they can get their hands on. The problem with these “Bedliner” type coating systems is that the eventually fail by blistering. Then water gets trapped under the coating and you can’t see the corrosion until it peels, revealing it’s devastating result. PLEASE….use an oil or wax film coating such as Fluid film, or even better….hard wax film marine grade CPC ( brands like CRC). I use CRC heavy duty marine grade CPC on the entire undercarriage, to include wiring, and then I fog in Fluid film inside the frame members and into all of the body panel and door drainage holes. Works fantastic. My daughter’s VW had the ziebart system and it literally destroyed the car due to hidden corrosion damage.
Thank you very much for the warning as well as for the additional info. I have canceled my appointment with Ziebarts.
You saved another GX.
Trexus (11-03-21)
Old 11-08-21, 05:12 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Take it to a Line-X dealer yearly and have the Krown treatment done.
Old 11-08-21, 08:14 AM
22GXOR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
Take it to a Line-X dealer yearly and have the Krown treatment done.
Thanks.
Any reason not to do directly to Krown?
Looks like Line-X uses a their own protective coating.
Any experience with any of them?

Thanks.
Old 11-08-21, 01:31 PM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 22GXOR
Thanks.
Any reason not to do directly to Krown?
Looks like Line-X uses a their own protective coating.
Any experience with any of them?

Thanks.
Hmm. The Krown service centers around here are also Line-X distributors. Maybe that is just coincidental. Krown is what you want.

I've had my 2018 GX since early 2019 and will be taking it for its 3rd yearly Krown treatment this week. Their normal service includes drilling doors and some sills, spraying the substance into those holes and filling with rubber grommets. I declined all drilling and opted only for the undercarriage and engine bay treatment. It seems to work. I have many years of 4runner rust under my belt and have tried POR15 (hated it) and Fluid Film. If you start Krown treatments on a new car or truck--and do it every year--they will warranty no major rust anywhere below the windows.

Last edited by kgbagent1; 11-08-21 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-23-21, 01:11 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
Default video explaining why ziebart is bad

Originally Posted by WTrouble88
a video explaining why ziebart and coatings like it are bad.

GX4602011 (11-24-21)
Old 01-29-22, 01:20 PM
JohnnySack
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2013 GX 460 - thoughts on the rust level?

Looked at a 2013 gx 460 with about 75K miles on it listed for about 30k, 2 owners. Has had throttle body and secondary air pumps replaced. Tires look like they need replacing. Otherwise, decent maintenance records. Took some quick picks underneath and wondering what your thoughts are on the rust level.

Worth 30k?

Last edited by JohnnySack; 01-29-22 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-29-22, 02:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,347 Posts

TBH: Just looks like surface rust on the weld seams that would clean up pretty easily.
Old 01-29-22, 02:28 PM
JohnnySack
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
TBH: Just looks like surface rust on the weld seams that would clean up pretty easily.
I thought so too, but was kind of worried about how the control arms looked.

Worth 30k ?
Old 01-29-22, 02:30 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,347 Posts

PM me the VIN if you want and I'll give you my take
Old 03-18-22, 05:37 AM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Would this undercarriage concern you?

not being from the north, corrosion from salt roads concerns me but mostly bc I have no experience with it. Should I be concerned with this amount of corrosion on a 17’ Luxury?

Old 03-18-22, 05:44 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 205 Likes on 115 Posts

It doesn't look bad at all from the pics you've shared. The parts that are rusted, if the corrosion is just surface, can be dealt with using your favorite rust solution primer/paint.
Old 03-18-22, 06:32 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

That's nicer than mine underneath, lol. Pretty minor surface corrosion IMO.
Hehena (03-19-22)

Quick Reply: Rust