GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Do you see rust under your GX 460?
Yes
49.36%
No
50.64%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 03:55 PM
azfj60
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Did it hitch a ride on Hyundai's transport ship???

Old 04-27-21, 04:19 PM
AxisLexus
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by azfj60

Did it hitch a ride on Hyundai's transport ship???

Well now that explains it.
Old 04-27-21, 04:37 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

take it back and demand a new one. we had bot a suburu with same issue and dealer took back and ordered a new one. or u can have them replace all parts, then undercoat the whole thing with fluid film.
Old 04-27-21, 05:03 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I feel your disappointment.

My GX was a demo that was used all winter in the salt central of the western world and with zero protection/undercoating. It looks about the same as yours after ~3000km in those conditions, minus the odd aluminium corrosion. Based on that alone, it looks to me like prolonged exposure to very humid and salty air. With COVID delays, it probably sat somewhere near the ocean much longer than usual. I would agree it's not acceptable for a brand new truck.

I would try to negotiate for an extension of the comprehensive warranty, service-related freebies, or at the very least have them cover an undercoating treatment of your choice. I don't think they will replace anything, it's all surface rust. I would also personally defer to undercoat the truck myself due to QC concerns with the labor expectations I have of most workers in the automotive field.
Old 04-27-21, 05:10 PM
AxisLexus
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. I will report back what the dealership says. I have contacted Lexus corporate already. They said they would intervene if the dealership refused to do something.
Old 04-27-21, 05:18 PM
AxisLexus
Rookie

Even if the GX spent some storage time near saltwater, seems like the degree of corrosion is beyond what I would expect.
The following users liked this post:
azfj60 (04-27-21)
Old 04-27-21, 06:11 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 317 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by AxisLexus
Even if the GX spent some storage time near saltwater, seems like the degree of corrosion is beyond what I would expect.
Almost like the salt water got in to the container itself.
Old 04-27-21, 07:02 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah that is more than I would expect... and more than my 2018 with 45k miles has even now (recently purchased Florida car).
Old 04-28-21, 08:55 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 581 Likes on 352 Posts

That's not warrantable. It is surface rust on mostly uncoated/protected portions of the undercarriage which are expected to rust. (No dealer will warranty that, nor will Lexus.)
That is normal, even for a brand new vehicle sitting on the lot in the Northeast... throw some fluid film on the undercarriage and be done with it.
Old 04-28-21, 09:08 AM
AxisLexus
Rookie

@nuclearn8 Yes, after having a local Lexus dealer inspect it this am, they are of the same opinion - not a warrantable issue. Since I am a DIY'er, I will address the rust/corrosion in the coming days and test products/processes and find out which works best to address the problems. Since this may be an issue to more GX owners, I will post the results with pictures here. Maybe it will help others stop the rusting before it gets out of hand.
M4rk (04-29-21)
Old 04-28-21, 09:56 AM
SlickTRD
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

@nuclearn8 Yes, after having a local Lexus dealer inspect it this am, they are of the same opinion - not a warrantable issue. Since I am a DIY'er, I will address the rust/corrosion in the coming days and test products/processes and find out which works best to address the problems. Since this may be an issue to more GX owners, I will post the results with pictures here. Maybe it will help others stop the rusting before it gets out of hand.
project farm did a test of this to save you a lot of time - best is crc 6026 corrosion inhibitor - you can find it on amazon.
Old 04-29-21, 04:18 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickTRD
project farm did a test of this to save you a lot of time - best is crc 6026 corrosion inhibitor - you can find it on amazon.
Important disclaimer: the product may not be suitable for rubber components, or plastic. It is petroleum-based. I would save it for high wash areas and FF everything else.
Old 04-29-21, 07:15 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts

Not sure why this is a warranty issue. Does that mean they saying that your rust occurred since taking delivery? Or is Lexus saying that it is within the specs to sell new cars with surface rust? If that is the case, seems like perhaps they are incentivizing buyers to do a fuller inspection before taking delivery? The whole thing seems odd, unless surface rust isn't a big deal, and is a reasonable expectation?
Old 04-29-21, 07:20 AM
AxisLexus
Rookie

A second Lexus dealership said pretty much the same thing. While is is unsightly, the rust and corrosion is not a defect nor warrantable issue. Both dealerships said this is quite normal for northeastern cars to develop this level of rust/corrosion within a very short time. The dealership I bought it from is not returning my calls nor replying to emails. I suspect they do not want to deal with it or see it as a normal condition. Regardless, I plan to remove the rust/corrosion myself and then put a rust preventative coating on the parts as much as I can and then get on with enjoying the great GX. Thanks all for the interest in this problem I have.
CFAI (04-29-21)
Old 04-29-21, 10:19 PM
Heaveyfoot
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes me wonder if I should check the bottom of my car. I'm in New York and the car came from jersey. I bought the car in November of last year and only has 13xx miles on it. You would figure corrosion warranty would cover this but guess not

Quick Reply: Rust