GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-22, 08:11 AM
Supremec28
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
For you Houston folks, Royz in Cypress is probably the best tint shop in town. Their attention to detail is second to none. They removed my old tint that was peeling on the front windows and added 25% ceramic. This pretty much matches the rest of the windows.

how much did they charge you to remove and replace for the front two windows?
Old 04-29-22, 08:13 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 730 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Supremec28
how much did they charge you to remove and replace for the front two windows?
$160 out the door for the mid grade ceramic. Can roll the windows down immediately and no hassle warranty. They did a full tint removal and reinstall on my LS430 in addition to a few other cars that I've had, always top notch service.
Old 04-29-22, 08:14 AM
Supremec28
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
$160 out the door for the mid grade ceramic. Can roll the windows down immediately and no hassle warranty. They did a full tint removal and reinstall on my LS430 in addition to a few other cars that I've had, always top notch service.
that’s a good pric! I went to Tint World and got 20% ceramic for front windows for $199 plus tax.
The following users liked this post:
raiders3 (04-03-23)
Old 05-02-22, 07:41 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts

Huper Optik ceramic in 35% with 80% on the windshield. If the cops can’t see through the vehicle from the roadside, it may result in your meeting them personally. They don’t seem to be as ardent about it nowadays but you never want to be the example.

Old 05-04-22, 12:46 PM
stilleni30
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Piney1
Huper Optik ceramic in 35% with 80% on the windshield. If the cops can’t see through the vehicle from the roadside, it may result in your meeting them personally. They don’t seem to be as ardent about it nowadays but you never want to be the example.
How much did you lay out for the h00pers?
Old 05-04-22, 05:35 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts

The front windows and windshield set me back 275 If I recall correctly. This place is very good, the guy is an artist, never a blemish and quality work. Nothing worse than a crappy tint job.
Old 04-02-23, 07:42 PM
raiders3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Window tinting preferences and experiences

Interested to receive feedback regarding experiences with window tinting on the GX 460.

I bought a 2017 GX on March 26th.

Two local auto window tinting companies gave me estimates.

One uses 3M while the other uses Xpel.

My GX is black with gray interior.

Any tinting of the front windshield appears not to be an option because of the forward facing camera that is part of the pre-collision system.

I am considering 20 for the driver and passenger front doors.

I do want to darken all of the back windows.

Thank you.
Old 04-03-23, 01:47 PM
raiders3
Driver

Originally Posted by tigmd99
My GX front side window has “UV” symbol. The rear are tinted glass. Thus no aftermarket tint for me.
I will be checking out my new to me 2017 GX for symbols.
Old 04-03-23, 01:48 PM
raiders3
Driver

Originally Posted by Supremec28
that’s a good pric! I went to Tint World and got 20% ceramic for front windows for $199 plus tax.
How have you liked the 20 percent ceramic for front windows?
Old 04-05-23, 08:30 AM
claarn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Had the front windows tinted 20% with Llumar ATC (non-ceramic) which is a fantastic match to the rears. The place was sold out of the 3M 25% ceramic which is probably what I would have sprung for had they had it. But I wasn’t hell-bent on the ceramic simply because the front factory windows are already UV protected and the ATC film reduces the IR by about 30% (3M ceramic was 90'ish I believe) and I was alright with that considering the A/C works just fine in the GX.
FYI the rear windows were metered at 22% and I opted for the 20% on the front as the guy said that with the amount of light that is coming thru the windshield, I won't notice that the front is slightly darker especially with the light / ecru interior. He was right. Now if I had the darker sepia or black interior I would definitely go with 25% or even a 30%.
I warned him ahead of time of the NX tinting experience I had with the UV coating and how it scratched with a razor blade at a different shop and they had to replace the $700+ window.
He said that there wasn't a coating to be concerned about on the GX windows. Again as previous comments stated, seems as though the UV coating is strictly on the NX windows.

The following users liked this post:
raiders3 (04-09-23)
Old 04-09-23, 02:38 AM
raiders3
Driver

Default Beautiful tinting

Originally Posted by claarn
Had the front windows tinted 20% with Llumar ATC (non-ceramic) which is a fantastic match to the rears. The place was sold out of the 3M 25% ceramic which is probably what I would have sprung for had they had it. But I wasn’t hell-bent on the ceramic simply because the front factory windows are already UV protected and the ATC film reduces the IR by about 30% (3M ceramic was 90'ish I believe) and I was alright with that considering the A/C works just fine in the GX.
FYI the rear windows were metered at 22% and I opted for the 20% on the front as the guy said that with the amount of light that is coming thru the windshield, I won't notice that the front is slightly darker especially with the light / ecru interior. He was right. Now if I had the darker sepia or black interior I would definitely go with 25% or even a 30%.
I warned him ahead of time of the NX tinting experience I had with the UV coating and how it scratched with a razor blade at a different shop and they had to replace the $700+ window.
He said that there wasn't a coating to be concerned about on the GX windows. Again as previous comments stated, seems as though the UV coating is strictly on the NX windows.

Your GX is sharp.
Beautiful tinting.

If I lived in your area, I would be seeking the name of the company that tinted your GX.

The company I am considering in TN has 20% and 35% available, but not 25% or 30%. I do have the sepia interior in a bl ack 2017.
Old 04-09-23, 03:13 AM
sekr8squrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by raiders3
Interested to receive feedback regarding experiences with window tinting on the GX 460.

I bought a 2017 GX on March 26th.

Two local auto window tinting companies gave me estimates.

One uses 3M while the other uses Xpel.

My GX is black with gray interior.

Any tinting of the front windshield appears not to be an option because of the forward facing camera that is part of the pre-collision system.

I am considering 20 for the driver and passenger front doors.

I do want to darken all of the back windows.

Thank you.
I have tint all around my GX with around 40% on the front windshield and 20% around the rest of the vehicle. It's 3M Ceramic IR tint done by Auto Tint King in Halethorpe, MD.

The following 3 users liked this post by sekr8squrl:
M4rk (04-09-23), raiders3 (04-09-23), RDLGX (04-09-23)
Old 04-09-23, 05:10 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

The Bronze wheels look very sharp against the Nori Green ! Beautiful !
Old 04-09-23, 05:31 AM
raiders3
Driver

Default tint

Originally Posted by sekr8squrl
I have tint all around my GX with around 40% on the front windshield and 20% around the rest of the vehicle. It's 3M Ceramic IR tint done by Auto Tint King in Halethorpe, MD.

Beautiful!
Old 04-09-23, 06:01 AM
sekr8squrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RDLGX
The Bronze wheels look very sharp against the Nori Green ! Beautiful !
Thanks! I really like the color combo. Reminds me of the gold Rolex with the green face dial.

Quick Reply: Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns