GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Trailer Package - Replace 7-Pin Wiring With Longer Cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 06:03 PM
MotoGuzzi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trailer Package - Replace 7-Pin Wiring With Longer Cable

I bought an '05 GX470 last week with the factory tow package but no receiver. I also purchased a Draw-Tite receiver made specifically for the GX (and 4Runner) and installed it this evening. However I was unable to remount the factory 7-pin receptacle. Like I've seen in other posts, the factory location of the 7-pin receptacle is now obstructed by the receiver. The Draw-Tite receiver has a bracket for the receptacle, but the factory cable is too short to reach it. Is there a Lexus or after market receptacle with a cable that is longer but also plugs directly into the factory wiring harness? I can splice the factory cable, but I'd like to keep things looking as clean and stock as possible. Thanks for any suggestions you can give.
Old 04-20-18, 09:28 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoGuzzi
I bought an '05 GX470 last week with the factory tow package but no receiver. I also purchased a Draw-Tite receiver made specifically for the GX (and 4Runner) and installed it this evening. However I was unable to remount the factory 7-pin receptacle. Like I've seen in other posts, the factory location of the 7-pin receptacle is now obstructed by the receiver. The Draw-Tite receiver has a bracket for the receptacle, but the factory cable is too short to reach it. Is there a Lexus or after market receptacle with a cable that is longer but also plugs directly into the factory wiring harness? I can splice the factory cable, but I'd like to keep things looking as clean and stock as possible. Thanks for any suggestions you can give.
I have the same setup as you. The draw tite kit came with a relocation bracket for the 7 pin. You just have to re route the wiring
I believe you disconnect it and route the wires over or under the frame mount and that gives you enough room to install the connector on the relocation bracket. Sounds like when the draw tite was installed you did not re-route the wires . Google instructions and you will find out how to re-route the cable.
Old 04-20-18, 09:29 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoGuzzi
I have the same setup as you. The draw tite kit came with a relocation bracket for the 7 pin. You just have to re route the wiring
I believe you disconnect it and route the wires over or under the frame mount and that gives you enough room to install the connector on the relocation bracket. Sounds like when the draw tite was installed you did not re-route the wires . Google instructions and you will find out how to re-route the cable.