GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 08:05 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX Key

Want to get a spare transponder key that will both unlock and start GX.

I've looked on Ebay but not sure of the best vendor that sells reliable keys.

I could just get one online from Sewell or others, but thought I would check with the experts before proceeeding.

After perusing YouTube, it appears you can sync key yourself. Is this true or a dealer only function?

What says the group?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-18, 07:23 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I got mine at myLparts.com with code CL5. Send a copy of registration they will cut it for you. I used bootleg tech stream I bought off Amazon to program mine. 2 Steps: windows/locks and immobilize.
Old 03-16-18, 08:39 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

There's three parts to the key -

1. The cut keyway (the metal part)
2. The remote door unlock (the buttons)
3. The anti-theft transponder inside the key.

The key can be cut by a dealer or any good locksmith. The remote door unlock can be programmed yourself, as long as you haven't gone through too many keys (there's a system limit). The anti-theft transponder, however, needs a dealer tool, or tech-stream software (which can be challenging to get running on a modern laptop).

Chip H.
Old 03-16-18, 09:37 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Ebay seller 1010keys is good, the key comes cut and you'll need a techstream cable/software to program the transponder chip.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PRE-CUT-LEXU...s/152939320872

They also to switchblade keys too I think.
Old 03-18-18, 01:56 PM
kdburtch
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought off of 1010 keys and it works great (the flip key feels cheap though) Tried to program myself and ended up losing program on original key. After 45 minutes of frustration, called a locksmith and got all keys re-programmed for like $75. I suggest if you don't have tech stream get a 1010 key and be prepared to call a locksmith.
Old 03-24-18, 08:22 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

Thanks to those who reponded!

I ordered a spare from 1010, and also got cracking on one for my '15 IS250.

Today I used Techstream (eBay cable/disk) and a virgin IS Fob from eBay as well. Programmed it and worked. A couple of great YouTube vids explain the process in detail.

Saved time and money, plus the added satisfaction of DIY.
Old 03-28-18, 05:47 PM
Mars00
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

for my first post, i would like to add...that the 1010keys are legit. the instructions they provide are not. they can cause you to erase the codes on your original master key. i did this and had to search and search for a solution. i emailed 1010keys with my problem, and all they responded with was: "we are sorry you are having problems." that's all they said. so here is what you need to get your keys working:

this video programs your ebay keys to be able to start your engine:

this video programs your ebay keys to be able to lock/unlock your doors:

I have a 2008 GX470 and this worked for me (with the 1010keys). no techstream needed. hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mars00:
LJGS300 (03-28-18), rbassett (05-08-18)
Old 03-29-18, 01:16 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

Just a heads up, I cannot recommend 1010keys.

I would describe their operation as less than reputable.

On the upside, the Techstream software/cable I got from eBay, it works excellent. The following videos are the best I could find to program a GX key using Techstream, neither are exact to an 08 GX key, but between them you can learn what you need.

I used an old netbook I had gathering dust still running 32bit Windows 7. The 64b Windows versions supposedly can be challenging to get working.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 04-07-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 02:22 PM
smitty22d2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about buying from 1010 keys, but I was a little intimidated by the programming process and the fear of messing it up. I ended up meeting the local Car Keys Express tech and got a new (aftermarket) key cut and programmed for $187 including tax. It works perfect. I had him cut me another key and I salvaged my old remote which I had glued together. Only one key came with the GX when we bought it , so now it's nice to have two working keys.
Old 03-29-18, 06:55 PM
Mars00
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@lumbergh yeah i was not impressed with their lack of help at all. i will say that they got my keys out to me pretty fast. as for those who want to buy 1010keys, try out the videos i posted before additionally buying the techstream.
Old 04-07-18, 05:41 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

Update to this as I finally completed the 3 tasks necessary to get an 08 GX key fully working.

FIY: You only get 4 keys per car, and this was made to be a spare for our 2 daily use keys.

The key I got from 1010keys from eBay did indeed work, though some commentary here. The key will come uncut unless you pay their highly questionable business practice of the hidden upsell, which I did not use or trust. The instructions they included were worthless, and possibly can cause you to make your existing keys non-functional.

I used Techstream software to program the transponder portion of the key.

A local locksmith cut the "laser cut" blank key for $25, and I was able to make sure it worked before leaving the business.

The third portion of the operation is the programming of the wireless lock/unlock. I could not find a definitive video on YouTube demonstrating my model year (2008). Apparently the old way of opening and closing drivers door in a certain sequence is no longer valid post 2007. Techstream does the work for you for 2008+, use "Body Electrical" and Wireless Registration function to program the key lock/unlock function.

Good luck to anyone who does this, not too hard. But requires a bit of time and persistance to get it done. But the $$$ savings is significant.

I didn't call my local dealer but am confident this is a $400+ job, all in it cost me about $60 (I already had the cable/software for other Lexus, but its $16 on eBay and works great).

Last edited by Lumbergh; 04-07-18 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 01:49 PM
idntcare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mars00
for my first post, i would like to add...that the 1010keys are legit. the instructions they provide are not. they can cause you to erase the codes on your original master key. i did this and had to search and search for a solution. i emailed 1010keys with my problem, and all they responded with was: "we are sorry you are having problems." that's all they said. so here is what you need to get your keys working:

this video programs your ebay keys to be able to start your engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E23V...ofoqufQoxpWoFm

this video programs your ebay keys to be able to lock/unlock your doors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIQG...ofoqufQoxpWoFm

I have a 2008 GX470 and this worked for me (with the 1010keys). no techstream needed. hope this helps.
This worked on my 2007 GX

I just got my order from 1010keys. I order two keys with the “laser cut” and transponders/alarm buttons, and the OBDII Port plug gizmo. Relatively painless going through the process. Both keys look great, better than the key that came with the GX. The videos posted above walked me through the procedure without issue. Both of my spare keys would have worked except one of the keys I received from 1010 was not completely cut and there is a tiny metal nub in the center of the slot preventing the key from fully inserting into the ignition. The other key is perfect. I may take my dremel and clean off that small blemish and the key should work. But just wanted to point out that I played the videos in the car and did the step by step procedures along side them and it worked perfectly. I did not need the OBDII plug or any additional software to get my keys working

Forgot: It was just under $80 for both keys and the OBDII port from 1010keys. I’m sure there’s a cheaper option if you bought just the keys.

Last edited by idntcare; 04-10-18 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-21-18, 08:26 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

One last update, I just realized that the "Key Code" is printed on the valet key/emergency key from the leather binder.

So for those ordering from an internet dealer/ebay seller you can have this info in hand before ordering the key and get it pre-cut, and it will work for sure (as its coded).

Just a heads up, didn't realize until I was going through some keys today.

YMMV.