GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear window will not roll up after battery disconnect & bad gear changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 08:50 AM
tuffyturf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window will not roll up after battery disconnect & bad gear changes

So I had some work done on my 04 GX470 which required some work to be done on electronics so they disconnected the battery. I know how to bring the windows back to life etc. But when I did the sequence on the right rear window, it rolled down and will not come back up. It has been that way for 3 days now, and makes the car almost impossible to ride in as all the other windows have to be down to off set the air pressure. The sunroof took 2 days to come back to life. But there is a weird thing going on with the gear sequence too. The car takes off out of 2nd gear and has no power until you speed up. If you pull over, turn the car off and turn it back on, the transmission then is fine, and the car has all its power and runs fine until it does it again intermittently. NONE of these things were happening before I took the car in, they changed the starter motor when all it needed was a new fuse that blew and caused the car not to start.. so I paid for a new starter for nothing but oh well.. now I have these other problems. any ideas out there to get this stupid window to roll up so I can at least drive the car?
Old 02-06-18, 11:56 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

If you did not have these issues before then a return trip to shop that did it is in order. If they cant fix it then they are still culpable. You may have to have Lexus look into it and see what recourse you have with original shop.I am suspect to the original diagnosis
Old 02-06-18, 12:41 PM
tuffyturf
Driver School Candidate

Default Shop is cooperating

Yes, I have been in contact with the original shop.. they have told me that I can bring it back and they will bump all other business to get it fixed, but it is 15 miles away and I just feel like there is a quick fix to it, without having to take a couple hours out of my day to take it back to the shop.. I am hoping it is just a computer reset that needs to happen.. but it has been 3 days now.. also they claim that they have hook-ups to give the car power even when the battery is disconnected so the memory does not get wiped in the computers...but they obviously did not do that in this situation..
Old 02-06-18, 04:32 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Whats the voltage read at the battery when running? And when off? Should be 14.4V running. 12+V when off. But best is to take the battery out and load test it. Your local parts store does this for free. Make sure you have a healthy charging system and battery, then disconnect negative for 30 min. If that doesnt work, look for loose connections wherever they did the electrical work.
Old 02-06-18, 04:49 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Based on the diagram Here, an easy thing to check is if youre getting power to the window motor. Pop the window switch assembly out carefully from the door panel. On the harness, check for 12V on the blue/black wire. Should be hot at all times. Looks like green is hot too. Black is ground.

Last edited by RushNatU; 02-06-18 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 11:00 AM
tuffyturf
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery is Good

Thanks for the idea's Nat... the battery is good, originally I was have intermittent starting problems when the car would get hot.. so the battery has been checked by AAA, Lexus and my mechanic ... Turned out just to be a bad fuse... but they found some leaking gaskets while they were investigating and when all was repaired... I went to re-engage all the windows and sunroof etc.. but when the right rear rolled down, it did not come back up.. the light on the switch is blinking and there is power as the window tries to go down when you press it down.. it lurches but nothing happens when you pull up. I disconnected the battery- reset the ECU and everything came back online, but that stupid rear window. It is almost like the computer senses that the window is up.. and will not allow it to go up, because it thinks the window is already up.. Back to the shop we go...does anyone know if there is a separate fuse for each rear window? I recall that their is an A3 fuse that controls all the windows and sunroof.. but is there another set just for each window?
Old 02-08-18, 04:50 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Per the wiring diagram, there is a 20A fuse for each window switch which in turn powers the window motor at that door.
Old 02-10-18, 04:54 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

If OP can hear the motor attempt to go down when the down switch is pressed, it's not the fuse, since the motor runs one way, then the other way, to raise/lower the glass.

What electronics work did they do? I'm wondering if there's a loose connector, or a loose pin in a connector that they undid.

Chip H.