GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Timing Belt - to change or not to change

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-17, 08:37 AM
arp1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt - to change or not to change

I just recently bought a used 2004 GX470 with only 46k miles. The car is in prestine condition and always been garaged. It even still had the original tires, which I have replaced already. Now, the question is, should I be replacing the timing belt already due to age? I have been getting mixed advices. Any input from fellow owners is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-07-17, 09:02 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Yes, it's set to be done on an age/mileage basis, whichever threshold is passed 1st. If the belt lets go and trashes your engine it's going to cost a lot more than doing the service would have.
Old 04-07-17, 09:24 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice must be in very good condition, if i would be in your place I would do it for sure cas after all it's 12-13 years old model so any wear and tear item could be effected.
Old 04-07-17, 12:24 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The 2004 has a non-VVTi motor, so it's not an interference design. If it breaks you'll just coast to a stop (hopefully not in busy traffic!)

But I would certainly do the full timing-belt service. You'll get a new water pump, serpentine accessory belt, and so on. Consider getting a new thermostat at the same time (minimal extra cost).

Afterwards, if you use the maintenance reminder in the Nav system, set a reminder for new long-life-coolant for 3 years from now.

Chip H.
Old 04-07-17, 03:28 PM
arp1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
The 2004 has a non-VVTi motor, so it's not an interference design. If it breaks you'll just coast to a stop (hopefully not in busy traffic!)

But I would certainly do the full timing-belt service. You'll get a new water pump, serpentine accessory belt, and so on. Consider getting a new thermostat at the same time (minimal extra cost).

Afterwards, if you use the maintenance reminder in the Nav system, set a reminder for new long-life-coolant for 3 years from now.

Chip H.
Thank you, Chip. So to be on the clear side, all non VVT-i 2UZFE motors are non-intetferance? And the VVT-is are? I know that the VVT-i's started in '05 based on what I'ved read, I'ved also read that VVT-i's were also in the late 04s. Mine was manufactured in 10/04.

I still will do the TB service soon. But at least with the info you provided, gave me a bit of "peace of mind" that my engine will not fall apart in case my TB breaks.
Old 04-07-17, 04:06 PM
anyoldiron
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arp1
Thank you, Chip. So to be on the clear side, all non VVT-i 2UZFE motors are non-intetferance? And the VVT-is are? I know that the VVT-i's started in '05 based on what I'ved read, I'ved also read that VVT-i's were also in the late 04s. Mine was manufactured in 10/04.

I still will do the TB service soon. But at least with the info you provided, gave me a bit of "peace of mind" that my engine will not fall apart in case my TB breaks.

............................its not infallible, but the VVTI motors have VVTI on the plastic silver cover that sits right on top of engine , mines a O4 and has this cover
Attached Thumbnails Timing Belt - to change or not to change-unnamed-6-.jpg  
Old 04-07-17, 04:43 PM
arp1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Mine does't have tge VVTI on the cover either.
Old 04-07-17, 06:45 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With a non-interference engine there's no risk, even then timing belts don't usually fail even when the service is severely overdue. I changed the TB on my 2008 for peace of mind.. at about 107k miles. The water pump needed to be replaced when I did the TB.

Keep an eye on your coolant level more regularly than you otherwise would (check once a month, maybe every tank of gas if you're really cautious). If it starts to get lower than normal there's a good chance your water pump is leaking and you need to do the service soonest. Both in the TB change guide linked from here and when I changed my own: the water pump was seeping and needed to be replaced. It was bad enough with mine that I noticed the coolant in the reservoir lower than usual prior to the service (first time ever .. didn't add coolant before the service).

Edit: Also the third anecdote I have is from a 10 year old GX with 50K miles I almost bought. The coolant reservoir was empty on it when the engine was cold. Probably either seeping from the water pump or the radiator. It's a common problem but fortunately it usually happens slowly and around normal service time.
Old 04-07-17, 07:42 PM
arp1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2008
With a non-interference engine there's no risk, even then timing belts don't usually fail even when the service is severely overdue. I changed the TB on my 2008 for peace of mind.. at about 107k miles. The water pump needed to be replaced when I did the TB.

Keep an eye on your coolant level more regularly than you otherwise would (check once a month, maybe every tank of gas if you're really cautious). If it starts to get lower than normal there's a good chance your water pump is leaking and you need to do the service soonest. Both in the TB change guide linked from here and when I changed my own: the water pump was seeping and needed to be replaced. It was bad enough with mine that I noticed the coolant in the reservoir lower than usual prior to the service (first time ever .. didn't add coolant before the service).

Edit: Also the third anecdote I have is from a 10 year old GX with 50K miles I almost bought. The coolant reservoir was empty on it when the engine was cold. Probably either seeping from the water pump or the radiator. It's a common problem but fortunately it usually happens slowly and around normal service time.
Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure to frequently check on the coolant level.
Old 04-08-17, 09:41 AM
arp1
Driver School Candidate

Default Non Interference

Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure to frequently check on the coolant level.
Please pardon my naiveness on this matter. Somehow, the more I read up on the GX an the 2UZFEs, the more conficting info I get about the engine being an interefence enging or non-interference. I could not find any solid info in regards to this matter. Obviously, I'd like to believe that it is a non interferece engine. Can anyone help shed some light?

Thanks again.
Old 04-08-17, 10:34 AM
anyoldiron
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please pardon my naiveness on this matter. Somehow, the more I read up on the GX an the 2UZFEs, the more conficting info I get about the engine being an interefence enging or non-interference. I could not find any solid info in regards to this matter. Obviously, I'd like to believe that it is a non interferece engine. Can anyone help shed some light?

Thanks again.

.............................probably due to the fact that the vast majority of internet information is regurgitated, and not first hand experience with something like ''here is a scan off so and so spec sheet''
Old 04-09-17, 08:22 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

My understanding is that it depends on the model year, and for MY2005 the specific vehicle since the change was made mid-production.

To be totally safe, go ahead and treat it as if it were.

Chip H.