GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Service history help, just bought 07 GX TPS sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 03:10 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Service history help, just bought 07 GX TPS sensor

Hi guys,

Need some help. I finally bought an 07GX after looking for some time. I had a dealer by one at auction which I refused (deal allowed me to refuse) since it was in poor condition. On the way home I stumbled on a used car dealership that had this 07 with 116K miles, carfax clean carfax showed all maintenance history done at LExus, car drove nice so I bought it! Only thing was the TPS sensor was, I figured since it's cold. I pumped the tires and the sensor never turned off on the drive home.

When I got home I logged into Lexus driver's and saw the following entry as the most recent. Am I really looking at over $2,000 repairs now? Can you guys help me out with what to do? Is this something that is urgent? Good news is timing belt and water pump were replaced at 61,000 miles.Thanks

BOTH FRONT AXLE CV JOINT BOOTS ARE COMPLETELY SPLIT OPEN AND LEAKING GREASE, REQUIRE end ngRepeat: Item in value $1395.38,

BOTH FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINTS LEAKING AND RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT $2274.94 WHIC end ngRepeat: Item in value TIRE PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT IS ILLUMINATED FOR FAILURE OF ID#2, PREVIOUSLY QUOTED TO GUEST AS WELL end ngRepeat: Item in value
Old 12-20-16, 03:51 PM
Listers
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First, your "TPS" sensor is called a TPMS. TPS is a throttle position sensor which is a whole other story and has nothing to do with tires. TPMS, the sensor itself might be bad or need replacing which is not super expensive, a few hundred at most or $50 on the low end. You need to measure the tire pressure for the correct amount or you need to get your TPMS reprogrammed to your specific car before you buy a new one.

Next is the CV boots in the front. They can both be replaced for less than $500. Depending on how long they have been leaking, you might need new CV axle bearings which might actually cost some good money. They need to be replaced very soon but dont render the car useless.

The last thing is the ball joints, which I cant comment on because I have no experience with them.

I am new to GXs but this is what I know from common car issues. Please correct me if Im wrong
Old 12-20-16, 04:04 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The first thing I'd do is inflate the spare and see if the light goes off. The TPMS sensors will not go on due to bad CV boots.
Old 12-20-16, 07:04 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

When I bought mine back in April, the TPMS light was on, and I used that to get the dealer to knock some off the price. When I got home, I noticed that there is a TPMS switch under the dash the selects between summer and winter tires. I flipped the switch and the TPMS light went off.

So be sure you try that before you spend money.

If that doesn't fix it, leave the TPMS light on until the next time you have your tires replaced. At that point the tire shop can fix it for you at very little cost, as they will repair it while replacing your tires. If you want to save even more $, you can supply the tire shop with new sensors that you buy yourself instead of using their sensors. For instance the Schrader sensors are as reliable as OEM and can be purchased online very cheap.

And definitely check the pressure in your spare tire, it has a sensor also.

Now for your other issues:

You can easily climb under the car and check to see if there is a CV axle boot that is torn open. They are the black rubber boots on the axle coming off of each front wheel and going to the front differential. Most dealers will repair problems like this before they sell a car, so it has probably been fixed already. But because it wasn't fixed at a Lexus dealer, it doesn't show up online.

If you really do have a boot torn open, the best option is to replace the whole CV axle. Rebuilt CV axles are dirt cheap to buy at any parts store and they are usually as reliable as new. It does take a bit of work to replace them, so figure in some labor $ if you can't do it yourself. It won't be thousands though unless you take it to a dealer. There's no reason to take a problem like this to a dealer, there are plenty of shops that replace these every single day and a reasonable shop will be able to do it for $300-$500. Or you could do it yourself for under $100 in parts if you are so inclined.

As for your ball joints, take the GX to an alignment shop and have them check the alignment and re-align if necessary. The cost for that should be $50-$80. If your ball joints are bad, they will not be able to do the alignment, and they will quote you their price to replace them. Alignment shops do this work all the time, again there is no reason to take it to a dealer for a simple problem like this.

Last edited by LoneHiker; 12-20-16 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-21-16, 06:29 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I drove on a torn CV boot for over a year with no issues. Moab, Cali, Arizona, through rivers, streams, sand, and mud. It took a year before it started making noise. I replaced it with a HD axle from Amazon, and continue to off road the truck. None of your issues are life threatening or need to be done immediately. Just verify the ball joints are tight and keep on keepin' on. Replace them as time/money allows.
Old 12-21-16, 11:22 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Any tire shop can replace a TPMS sensor and will almost certainly be cheaper than the dealer. Like was said, check the summer/winter selector switch under the steering column first.

So far as changing the sensor, the batteries in them usually last about 8-10 years, so it's in the timeframe of needing replacement. Think about getting them all done, or if you need tires, get them done then. Unlike most vehicles, there are five of them (the full-size spare has one too).

For the CV joint, look and see how much grease it's slinging. If there isn't much coming out, and the boot & joint look "ok", you can put this off. But depending on how long it's been like this, you're either looking at a new axle, or a replacement boot.

For the ball joint - don't delay. You sometimes get a long warning time, sometimes you don't. Consequences are the wheel falls off as you drive, causing thousands in body-damage to the front fender.

Chip H.
Old 12-22-16, 07:16 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks guys! I don't even know what these things are supposed to look like. Im not very savy when it comes to cars, so don't even know what a CV boot is or supposed to look like. I should be getting the title next week at which point I will take the car to the mechanic to check what you guys mentioned.

I'll check the spare tire didn't even think of it not having air. The spare is under the car I assume? Thanks so much for your help guys! I'll try to fill the spare with air tomorrow when I can figure out how to get to it, and check the switch you guys are talking about.

Do you think a regular mechanic would be able to check the ball joints? or should I take it an alignment shop as previously suggested?

*EDIT*
I just ran out to the car. I didn't see any switches under the steering column that said summer/winter tires, but I found a push-button that said "Main" when unpressed and "2nd" when pressed in. I pressed the button and the TPMS started flashing for about 30 seconds and then went on again constantly. When I pressed the button, again the TPMS continued to stay lit up. Is this what you guys are referring to?

Last edited by maxse; 12-22-16 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-23-16, 03:04 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by maxse
Thanks guys! I don't even know what these things are supposed to look like. Im not very savy when it comes to cars, so don't even know what a CV boot is or supposed to look like. I should be getting the title next week at which point I will take the car to the mechanic to check what you guys mentioned.

I'll check the spare tire didn't even think of it not having air. The spare is under the car I assume? Thanks so much for your help guys! I'll try to fill the spare with air tomorrow when I can figure out how to get to it, and check the switch you guys are talking about.

Do you think a regular mechanic would be able to check the ball joints? or should I take it an alignment shop as previously suggested?

*EDIT*
I just ran out to the car. I didn't see any switches under the steering column that said summer/winter tires, but I found a push-button that said "Main" when unpressed and "2nd" when pressed in. I pressed the button and the TPMS started flashing for about 30 seconds and then went on again constantly. When I pressed the button, again the TPMS continued to stay lit up. Is this what you guys are referring to?
thats the button. You may want to leave the instruction manual on the night stand for a couple of weeks, bedtime reading. It tells you how the truck works. Most of the answers on this forum come from it.
Old 12-23-16, 06:26 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Max,

Treat your car like 4 runner and you will save money. I had all 3 problems you mentioned.

1. TPMS - Fill air on all 5 tires to 35lb, leave it alone for few months and keep checking the tire pressure, mine went off after few months and never returned. The temp dropped here and the light came on again, I filled all 5 again and lights went off. I know there is a battery in there and cant be changed easily since its in the hard plastic resin and needs to be cut open.(lots of work)

2. Ball joint go with the MOOG for $70 for both side in parts, and can be installed by any shop, all the do is press it in. I would say labor is around $140 for both. If you decide to go with the moog, make sure you tell the mechanic to fill it with grease before he installs it on the car, the zerk fitting is placed as such when on the car there is no access.

3. CV axle, many t shop can do it on the vehicle and change the boot and pack with grease, rather than taking it off and changing the entire axle, if I had to do it again this is what i would do, I learned of this after I had it changed. If you go with new after market axle for $200 both sides in parts and labor is going to be under $200.

Like above poster mentioned all can be done for under $500.

Last edited by gxman1; 12-23-16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-24-16, 10:12 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Guys, thank you so much! Had the car at the mechanic, he said it's in great shape, he noticed not torn CV boots, and ball joints are fine. He said the car is in great shape. He filled all tires with air but the light is still on. I will do what you guys recommended and just change the sensors in the tires when I need them replaced. I probably have another 15K with these tires. Is that the battery you guys are talking about within the tires, correct?

I wonder if the Lexus dealership was trying to rip the previous owner off. In the history they recommended replacement of the Timing Belt and WP (which was done) at 70K miles!

I will do lots of reading. The other thing is I got this truck for my father who really loves it. He's not very mechanically inclined so I am trying to get it into perfect shape before giving it to him and I'm explaining everything to him. Thanks so much for your help everyone you guys are so awesome here.

It did come with 1 key. Im reading on the forums about the techstream now and will order 2 more keys from 1010keys on ebay.

BTW, this truck is AMAZING. I will be getting one myself when my current lease is up on my VW. I'm shocked that for $15K you can have such an awesome car. It's the smoothest car I've ever driven!
Old 12-24-16, 02:02 PM
ALAN553
Racer

I don't think the TPMS are serviceable. They just get replaced. They are one unit, valve stem/monitor.
Old 12-27-16, 12:10 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

On some of the units you can fiddle with them and replace the batteries. Not worth the pain, IMO. Just spend the money and be assured you got a good working unit.

Why do you care? Because sometimes (not sure if the GX is like this - would require insider knowledge), having a TPMS light on changes how the vehicle stability control works. If it thinks a tire is flat, it won't use the brakes on that wheel to bring your trajectory under control.

Chip H.
Old 12-27-16, 12:28 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by chiph9
On some of the units you can fiddle with them and replace the batteries. Not worth the pain, IMO. Just spend the money and be assured you got a good working unit.

Why do you care? Because sometimes (not sure if the GX is like this - would require insider knowledge), having a TPMS light on changes how the vehicle stability control works. If it thinks a tire is flat, it won't use the brakes on that wheel to bring your trajectory under control.

Chip H.
dont think the TPMS controls anything other than the pressure info on this truck, remember, the last year this truck was built was 09, thats 8 model years old already......that technology wasn't there yet, the NAV system is antiquated already compared to newer cars...so, maybe on more recent vehicles