GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Telescopic steering column squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 06:44 PM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telescopic steering column squeaking

My steering column is squeaking when it extends at start up. This seems to worsen in warm weather. Anybody have luck at lubing the telescopic mechanism?
Old 10-29-14, 07:03 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I don't know about lubricating the mechanism, but the movement of the steering column upon start up and shut down can be disabled via the available personalized settings. If I remember correctly, you can access that setting with Toyota TechStream. I disabled mine about a year ago. Not only did I find it annoying to have to wait for the steering column to stop moving every time I started the vehicle, but I also wondered about how long the mechanism would last if the steering column was moving every time the vehicle was started or shut down. And I find that, with leaving the steering wheel in the normal driving position, I still have plenty of room to spare when entering or leaving the vehicle.

If you don't find another solution to stop the squeaking, you might want to consider just disabling the steering column movement upon start up and shut down.
Old 10-30-14, 05:11 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

^This. I used techstream to disable this nuasance in all 3 of my vehicles.
Old 10-30-14, 06:11 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by burny
^This. I used techstream to disable this nuasance in all 3 of my vehicles.
Yep. On my ES, it is a double nuisance because the default setting is for both the steering column and the seat to move with every start up and shut down, and I've disabled both on the ES, as well as disabling the steering column automatic movement on the GX.
Old 10-30-14, 10:00 AM
abatodu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice- I don't have any need to keep that telescopic function working so disabling sounds like the way to go. I love this place! (Club Lexus)

Do you all know what techstream would work for our first gen GX? Will this work?

Amazon.com : Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software : Toyota Mongoose Cable : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software : Toyota Mongoose Cable : Car Electronics

Last edited by abatodu; 10-30-14 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 10:08 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lesz
I don't know about lubricating the mechanism, but the movement of the steering column upon start up and shut down can be disabled via the available personalized settings. If I remember correctly, you can access that setting with Toyota TechStream. I disabled mine about a year ago. Not only did I find it annoying to have to wait for the steering column to stop moving every time I started the vehicle, but I also wondered about how long the mechanism would last if the steering column was moving every time the vehicle was started or shut down. And I find that, with leaving the steering wheel in the normal driving position, I still have plenty of room to spare when entering or leaving the vehicle.

If you don't find another solution to stop the squeaking, you might want to consider just disabling the steering column movement upon start up and shut down.
Do you have to use the tech stream to disable the telescoping function? Can I do this in my own?
Old 10-30-14, 10:48 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Barnesie
Do you have to use the tech stream to disable the telescoping function? Can I do this in my own?
Yes, you need to use the TechStream software and the OBD connector to change the personalized settings on your own. The software and connector can be purchased for around $30. If you go to the dealer to have them change the settings, they are likely to charge much more than that every time you want to change the settings.
Old 10-30-14, 10:53 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by abatodu
Great advice- I don't have any need to keep that telescopic function working so disabling sounds like the way to go. I love this place! (Club Lexus)

Do you all know what techstream would work for our first gen GX? Will this work?

Amazon.com : Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software : Toyota Mongoose Cable : Car Electronics
There are several people selling them on Amazon. I believe that the one to which you linked should work. Also, note that, to legally use TechStream, you have to buy a (very expensive) subscription, but you can legally use it 25 times (it might be 30) without registering it and buying the subscription. So, that should give a good number of years worth of usage for the typical vehicle owner.

Also, note that you might need to use an older Windows XP laptop to get it to work, but some people have reported success in using it on Windows 7 laptops.

Last edited by lesz; 10-30-14 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 10:58 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you disable the telescoping function, can you still adjust the steering wheel?
Old 10-30-14, 11:03 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by abatodu

Amazon.com : Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software : Toyota Mongoose Cable : Car Electronics
I have same one. Wors fine on windows XP. read this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tool-ever.html
Old 10-30-14, 11:04 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 470SNC
If you disable the telescoping function, can you still adjust the steering wheel?
Yes you can.
Old 10-30-14, 11:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 470SNC
Yes, you can still adjust the steering wheel position. All that you are disabling is the way that it automatically moves every time you start up or shut down the vehicle. And, even if you disable it, the steering wheel position is still kept for use with the memory buttons on the door.
Old 10-30-14, 11:21 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

There may also be another alternative to using the TechStream software for changing the personalized settings.

There is an Android App that will allow you to change the settings.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...sta-app-5.html

As of the last time that I checked about 6 months ago, the Carista app only worked with more recent Lexus (and Toyota) vehicles, including the Generation 2 GX, but the app developer said that he planned to develop a version that would be compatible with the Generation 1 GX. You might want to check to see if that has been done. The cost of the app and the OBD Bluetooth connector is about the same as the cost of the Techstream software and connector.