GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Possible Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-13, 01:07 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tsa89
Ha. Don't know why I'd be dumb enough to argue with you after all the info you've given.
Too bad that's not the timing belt. Replacing it would be cheap and a piece of cake.

What should replacing the timing belt, water pump, radiator lines etc. cost? $1,400 sound about right? I've called 3 places in Austin and they've all been in that range.
That price is on the high side. Were any of those shops you called Toyota dealers and or independent Toyota repair shops? If not, try them. Toyota is usually cheaper than Lexus when it comes to repairs / maintenance.

On average replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioners, t-stat, radiator hoses and coolant should run around $1000. See if you can find a local shop that will let you buy the parts and you pay for labor. If you did that and you buy the parts yourself from Sewell you'll save a lot of money compared to that $1400 price!!

Sewell Prices
*Sign up and use your ClubLexus member name and you'll get a nice discount on all of the parts they sell*

Timing belt kit w/ water pump etc.: $331.69 :
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2005/4496.html

Upper & lower radiator hoses: $29.79
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2005.html

Shop labor should run: $300-$500

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
If you care about your vehicle, then RCsGX is someone you definitely want to listen to...
Old 11-19-13, 01:12 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

the only problem with supplying your own parts is...if there is a problem...shop may blame it on the parts and it will cost you again, at least if you buy the parts from them and there is a warranty issue, its all on them.
Old 11-19-13, 04:26 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ALAN553
the only problem with supplying your own parts is...if there is a problem...shop may blame it on the parts and it will cost you again, at least if you buy the parts from them and there is a warranty issue, its all on them.
You're right, I was just giving him different options because $1400 is high for what he's getting. If he hadn't already done so, my first option would be to call Toyota and or an independent Toyota repair shop and get their price. I can't see them charging anywhere near $1400 for what he wants done.

When I was looking for a GX I found one at a local Lexus dealer but the timing belt had not been done. I called them and got a quote of $1000-1100, can't remember the exact price. That was still too high for my area but you have to figure Lexus is doing it so 9 times out of 10 their cost will always be at a premium compared to Toyota or other independent shops.
Old 11-20-13, 08:47 AM
tsa89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Toyota and a few other shops around town. All were in the $1,500 range. I already had the car at the shop to get the hub bearings done, and the guys had treated me so well on the first problem that I just told them to do it. All in all will be walking out of there with about $2,300 or $2,400 worth of work done. I have 133,000 miles on the car and want to drive it to 200,000 so I have no problem paying it.

Any other items you all recommend I watch out for over the next 67,000 miles? I am all for preventative maintenance to save me in long run. Hoping I don't have any more "major" repairs though.

I sincerely appreciate all the guidance yall have given me. I could afford a new car easily but I really like this car and think it would be cool to say I took a car to 200,000 miles. Plus if I do so I might treat myself to the big body Lexus SUV next go round.
Old 11-20-13, 10:25 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I called Toyota and a few other shops around town. All were in the $1,500 range. I already had the car at the shop to get the hub bearings done, and the guys had treated me so well on the first problem that I just told them to do it. All in all will be walking out of there with about $2,300 or $2,400 worth of work done. I have 133,000 miles on the car and want to drive it to 200,000 so I have no problem paying it.
WOW I'm surprised it's that much even at Toyota.

As long as you take care of the maintenance it'll last well over 200K miles. These engines are designed and built to last.

Any other items you all recommend I watch out for over the next 67,000 miles? I am all for preventative maintenance to save me in long run. Hoping I don't have any more "major" repairs though.
You sound like you're good to go.

I might have missed it but did you have them change your front / rear diff and transfer case oils too? If not I'd do that. Also check your brake pads / rotors, of course oil changes, intake air filter, cabin filter (behind your glovebox), check your front axle boots for rips / tears and maybe get a brake fluid change. That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure others will chime in.