GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Fog Lamp DR Replacement (HID)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 04:25 PM
Jbauer71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lamp DR Replacement (HID)

Hey everyone!

So I ordered my HID kit from Kbcarstuff.com (Great site highly recommend it for replacement light bulbs) and I installed all my HID just fine. (Fogs, Driving, Brights) However, when I got out of work today my driver side fog light is now out and I have a fairly good idea why.

When I was installing the fog lamps you were required to drill a 1in hole underneath the fog lamp plastic. I measured everything correctly and drilled the hole. Here's the kicker... On the passengers I drilled the hole on the bottom. For whatever stupid reason, I drilled the hole on the top of the fog lamp . (both side looked identical at the time) The wires still fed through fine and everything work correctly when I tested it. I used the rubber stopper that fit the 1in hole and knowing that moisture is going to get there I sealed the rubber grommet to the fog lamp unit.

It has probably been over a month since I had them installed but today I noticed it was out and when I checked there was a good amount of moisture in the fog lamp ds unit when. (I am assuming the bulb shorted ).

I guess my question really is... Would it be advised to purchase a brand new oem DS fog lamp unit re-drill the hole correctly and buy a new bulb? I think the only website I found was sewellparts and they wanted 280 for just the DS fog lamp and its around 25-30 for the bulb.

OR!

Is there a way I could create a proper seal around the hole I drilled above the unit and I could just redrill the bottom hole and get away with just replacing the bulb?

I would prefer option 2 since I can get away with it being cheaper but if you think I would just run into the same problem in the future I might as well buy the whole new fog lamp and replacing everything.

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-13, 08:41 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Look at this thread and this is what I did as well---the cap that rotates off to get to your fog light bulb, you go in thru there! much more neat and if you mess up you only need to replace the center screw cap )

Great choice in going with steve and Xenon depot--awesome service, he will hook you up with new bulb and such im sure. I have had his kits lows/fogs for almost 3 years now---

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ll-08gx-2.html