GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking for a GX

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 05:06 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Looking for a GX

I have been looking for a couple of years for a deal on a GX an now am becoming more serious about getting one. Looking from 2007-2009 and would like mileage under 60k. Any suggestions on year and options. What to look for that may be problematic. Thanks
Old 12-08-12, 06:36 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
I have been looking for a couple of years for a deal on a GX an now am becoming more serious about getting one. Looking from 2007-2009 and would like mileage under 60k. Any suggestions on year and options. What to look for that may be problematic. Thanks
Nothing much stands out really. They are pretty solid machines. Have had my 03 eight years and no issues. The only topic that seems to be regular around here is what to do when the rear suspension needs parts. Some debate converting them to a standard spring and Bilstein 5100 setup or spend the money to keep it stock.

If you pick one up from the Lexus dealer with just under 60K, you'll likely have a CPO warranty or the ability to add one, if desired.

Like any other car purchase. If it smell like crap, runs like crap and drives like crap, it's crap. Look for anything seemingly strange. These cars don't squeak, rattle or transfer much road noise to the cabin, but occasionally, the engine can sound a bit truckish under load. It mostly happens when it's hot out and the big fan starts to spin, but doubt that should be a factor this time of the year.

Things should fit super tight all around, even on older ones like mine. Pay attention to the two wood strips around the navi too. Even the dealers break those trying to remove them. If they look pried up and not flush at all in any spot, they are broken. Funny thing is, they are absolute cake to remove, if you do it right.

See if you can talk your dealer into an updated navi DVD at the time of signing too. They want a mint for them, unless of course, you happen to stumble across the few without.

You'll love the truck. There are fortunately and unfortunately, some good deals to be had, because of the economy.
Old 12-08-12, 06:40 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The Subaru dealer here in Grand Junction has an '07 beige one they're asking $24K for: Ivory interior, 3rd row seat and NO NAV! 80K miles, but most folks seem to drive their GXs many miles before selling/trading them. Best of luck finding one with low mileage--hard to find for sure. Here's a link:

http://www.rockymtnsubaru.com/used/L...75ec400ccb.htm

My recommendation is to take a very LONG test drive and test/check everything you can while you're out with it. Ask for service records or check the VIN number on the Lexus Drivers site to see if any records exist there. Anything that doesn't work will cost you big bucks to fix. Don't forget, salespeople know NOTHING about the 470--even Lexus salespeople--the newest one is 4 years old (2009).

Last edited by RickC5; 12-08-12 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-08-12, 07:03 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Don't recall there being much difference between and 06 and 07 and this one looks pretty nice:

http://tinyurl.com/a6oqms9

That's a pretty tough to find color too, if you happen to like it. Not sure where the dealer is to your proximity.
Old 12-08-12, 07:25 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't be confused - the GX is not sporty. It's a big, softly sprung SUV that's great at being a big suv hauling loads of gear smoothly all over creation. I like our '08 GX a lot (my wife's car), but wished the suspension was firmer. The ride is undoubtedly sublime, but it bugs the crap out of me to see the nose porpoise up and down under braking.

The MPG blows, but that's to be expected and clearly noted on the window sticker. I wouldn't trade the V8 for a V6 if it were available, but think I would have liked to evaluate a torquey diesel option.

I won't sell mine anytime soon for loads of reasons and look forward to retiring it to 3rd car status one day if I'm lucky enough. That said, when it's time to replace my 2GS430, it'll be a FX50S or CTS-V for me (fingers crossed).

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 12-09-12 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-08-12, 08:34 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

thanks guys. I am still in a toyota 4runner that I love, but ready for a change. Wife and daughter both have Lexus sedans. They are very easy to work on and I have had great luck with the toyota/lexus brand.
Old 12-09-12, 10:47 AM
Tim29641
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Looking to go to a LX

I have a blizzard white 2008 that just turned 42k clean as new. Thinking of going up to a LX . I put a set of 18 inch Lexus factory wheels off a new Gx 460 about 10k millers ago with new Michelin Lat tires. The only other thing I did was to put dual exhaust on it and it looks great .I am in VA. also ( VA Beach) let me know if you have any interest.
Old 12-10-12, 02:35 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes a lot of self discipline, to go through a car on the lot, that you are excited about buying. I would make up a pre check list. You know about all of the common problems, like the "clunk fix", with the drive shaft, wheel pitting, etc. I would make a list. There are other smaller items, that you find out later, you don't have. Owners manual, took kit, jack, locking wheel lug socket (usually in with the jack). Look under the car, did they break any bolts off in the front skid plate. Look under at the spare tire. If the car is "Certified" ask to see that documentation or paperwork. That lists the pad remaining wear, rotors, etc. Open the back door and stand up to look at the roof. I had a couple of small dents, from someone loading stuff on top. Didn't bother me, but it was supposed to be listed on the certified sheet. Any dents on the car, are supposed to be listed on the sheet. This is the pdf of the CPO blank checklist.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CPO_161_Checklist.pdf (426.4 KB, 298 views)
Old 12-10-12, 08:30 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

thank you sir. What is wheel pitting?

Last edited by burny; 12-10-12 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-10-12, 09:08 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The aluminum casting, corrodes behind the painted surface. This is common for many owners, that live in areas where salt is used on roads, but has happened in other areas as well. It starts with bubbles in the paint. When they become larger, the paint peels off, leaving the aluminum showing. This is a factory defect and I had two of my rims replaced in a 2008, with 46,000 miles, two years ago. Depends on the dealer. Most wheels are sent out for reconditioning/ repainting.
Old 12-10-12, 03:40 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, I checked out what our GX's current value is on Edmunds yesterday. To my surprise, it's still worth what we paid for it last May. Looks like they hold their value pretty well.
Old 12-22-12, 06:25 AM
dandg
Driver

Went through the same process this summer and found a 08 470 with 25k on it( CPO-ed)What I found was the very best condition GX's with the lowest miles where kept by the Lexus dealers and CPO'ed.Ours was a trade in,all serviced at the same dealer.They can buy them for less ( in a trade for the newer model) from the retail customer they they or a another used car seller could at the auctions and they have a bit more room to move on the price.
I also,thou not planned,ended up taking advantage of the CPO finance rate (.9) .The pricing,when factoring in the extended factory warranty was not that much higher then buying at a non Lexus dealer.
Old 12-23-12, 06:33 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

I have looked at a couple. One was poorly maintained and the other one was so nasty on the inside I didn't even get in it
Old 12-24-12, 04:06 AM
dandg
Driver

All of the ones I looked at had pretty good carfax's and I was able to go over the CPO inspection docs,its not worth for them to CPO one unless it has been maintained.Not sure what dealer you went to but "so nasty on the inside" is kinda of hard to believe,one thing all dealers do is make any car look better,even the ones that shouldn't.

As there are not going to be many 470's with low miles you might want to expand your search,I ended up buying mine in another state-they delivered it. You can go on the Lexus CPO site or use one like car guru's.
Old 12-25-12, 07:44 AM
Mparent
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased a 2007 with 90k on it from the local Sewell Lexus dealer. The 07's were the last year model to have any significant upgrades (iPod jack & Gen 5 navigation). I didn't care about the high miles since the vehicle had been maintained at the dealership and was in perfect condition inside & out. I also get the free car washes at any Sewell location which has become a fun weekly trip (or twice a week if it rains). The service manager spent 20-30 minutes with me and it was clear he believed in the brand and had no fear of the high miles. He had owned several Lexus cars with over 100k and sees many with 200k or 300k every week that run perfectly. It's up to you what you buy but I will say that I will probably buy my next one fom the same dealer if it is at all possible. The wait would be worth it. Edmunds does a good job of telling you what new features come with each new year model. No matter what year you pick, I don't think you will be disappointed. Best of luck to you. Mike

Quick Reply: Looking for a GX