GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 03:21 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cdew002
It's all marketing. Companies have to make the most of their advertising dollars, and the best way to do that is to make sure they are marketing to people that need their product.

So if you post a thread about how to convert your low beams to a HID setup, you'll probably see a banner for someone's HID product.

There is no conspiracy brother. And if there was, there's not a thing you can do about it. Don't you watch movies!?!
Right, and another way to look at the "data collection" done on us: "Just follow the money."
Old 06-13-12, 05:43 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cdew002

There is no conspiracy brother.
Speak for yourself, I am watching his every move.
Old 06-14-12, 10:49 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to hear more detail on the X5diesel you're buying (or bought?). New/used? Options?

I'm kicking around the idea of replacing my '07 GX with either an X5 or Touareg, both diesel. I've never owned a diesel, and love the idea of nearly 30mpg on the freeway. Would love any thoughts you have on the comparisons between the different trucks. And, congrats on the purchase!
Old 06-14-12, 06:14 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I'd love to hear more detail on the X5diesel you're buying (or bought?). New/used? Options?

I'm kicking around the idea of replacing my '07 GX with either an X5 or Touareg, both diesel. I've never owned a diesel, and love the idea of nearly 30mpg on the freeway. Would love any thoughts you have on the comparisons between the different trucks. And, congrats on the purchase!
The torque is so very addicting. I can admit now that I have become a torque-o-holic.
Old 06-18-12, 07:25 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
The torque is so very addicting. I can admit now that I have become a torque-o-holic.
Yep, right there with ya... very addicting!

Originally Posted by stiles_s

Thanks, it's a new '12 X5d w/ premium pkg (comfort access, nav w/ live traffic, rear camera w/ top view, PDC, 4 zone HVAC), premium sound (hi-fi and sat radio), cold weather (rear heated seats and steering wheel) and compact spare. Eventually will dump RFTs and don't want to feel 'naked' like you probably do in your C2S. No spare, as someone who drives a lot, is a troubling trend but all mfgs are heading this way... both to cut costs and improve mileage, etc. Considered finding one w/ running boards too but looks good w/o them and truly think they'd get beat hard in my harsh winters w/ all the salt and rocks liberally applied.

Briefly looked at Touareg TDI too but IMNSHO it's uglier in person and looks/feels cheap in spite of comparable price tag when optioned like X5 (particularly w/ BMWs $4500 eco credit). With how good their sister companies are at designing sharp LED DRLs, it's somewhat comical how bad/ugly VW is w/ theirs. Hard comprehending, particularly in light of the upstairs price range on TDI, that VW tries to get away w/ a 3/36 warranty/maintenance. I can tell you how I really feel if you want . Good luck in your decision.

Anyhow, so far it's been very good w/ the new ride
Old 06-18-12, 08:58 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Yep, right there with ya... very addicting!

Thanks, it's a new '12 X5d w/ premium pkg (comfort access, nav w/ live traffic, rear camera w/ top view, PDC, 4 zone HVAC), premium sound (hi-fi and sat radio), cold weather (rear heated seats and steering wheel) and compact spare. Eventually will dump RFTs and don't want to feel 'naked' like you probably do in your C2S. No spare, as someone who drives a lot, is a troubling trend but all mfgs are heading this way... both to cut costs and improve mileage, etc. Considered finding one w/ running boards too but looks good w/o them and truly think they'd get beat hard in my harsh winters w/ all the salt and rocks liberally applied.

Briefly looked at Touareg TDI too but IMNSHO it's uglier in person and looks/feels cheap in spite of comparable price tag when optioned like X5 (particularly w/ BMWs $4500 eco credit). With how good their sister companies are at designing sharp LED DRLs, it's somewhat comical how bad/ugly VW is w/ theirs. Hard comprehending, particularly in light of the upstairs price range on TDI, that VW tries to get away w/ a 3/36 warranty/maintenance. I can tell you how I really feel if you want . Good luck in your decision.

Anyhow, so far it's been very good w/ the new ride
Congrats. Sounds like a nice one. From what I've heard, while the running boards look nice they do zero for function and end up getting your pants dirty every time you climb in (gasp).

I don't get your comment re: not having a spare, when it sounds like you have the compact spare...? Is it just lamenting the fact that most manufacturers are moving away from spares? If so, I totally agree. I really dislike the trend, personally. VW and Audi are still pretty good about it, with a few exceptions. BMW's been a leader in the move to run-flats, which is frustrating. But, hasn't really hit their SUVs too hard yet.

Good luck w/it. I think it's probably going to be my next car (X5D).
Old 06-18-12, 09:51 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks and correct I did get the spare option. I was commenting about disturbing trend towards eliminating them completely - on some cars it's not even an option w/ or w/o RFT. You just get a pump, some goop and a hearty good luck. Whereas in some non-US markets they're required by law.
Old 06-18-12, 01:06 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plunger
I do wear a tinfoil hat lol.

No facebook, prepaid cellphones, paying in cash, piggybacking on other people's wifi, etc.

Didn't expect to be tracked around the web from a car forum. Why do they want to collect my personal info for? I just came here to get tips and gather info about my GX.

Piggybacking on somone's wifi is a federal offense punishable by up $10,000 and 5 years hard time so good luck with that too. Did you just wake up in the 21st century?? Welcome to the internetz and modern technology.....
Old 06-19-12, 07:21 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Thanks and correct I did get the spare option. I was commenting about disturbing trend towards eliminating them completely - on some cars it's not even an option w/ or w/o RFT. You just get a pump, some goop and a hearty good luck. Whereas in some non-US markets they're required by law.
Yup my 335d did not come with a spare, just crappy rft's. I ditched them quick for non rft's. Now I carry the Conti Comfort Kit and my AAA card whereever I go. I am really living life on the edge now.