GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Can someone please point me to a list/diag of all bulbs in our headlight cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 08:33 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can someone please point me to a list/diag of all bulbs in our headlight cluster?

I know low beams are H11. The DRL seems to also be our turn signal bulb and amber, not sure what bulb type that is. What else is in there? It seems there is another light that comes on when your lows are on. Is that a parking light that also doubles as the high beam bulb? If so, what bulb type is that? Any other bulbs I am missing?

What about our fogs? What bulb type are they?

TIA
Old 03-24-12, 10:41 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...l=1026&make=51

You can put in your year but they should be the same as yours.

Theres:

High (large projector)
Low (smaller projector)
DRL / turn signals
running light (between the high and DRL / turn)

Last edited by RCsGX; 03-24-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-24-12, 01:29 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Thanks man. What youre referring to as the running light, that is what the reference guide is referring to as the parking light, correct? That is a 168 bulb? Also, does anyone know if you replace the DRL/turn signal bulb with a high quality super white, will the reflector still give it an orange tint or is it possible to get a clean, bright white light out of there?
Old 03-24-12, 01:41 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Muti007
Thanks man. What youre referring to as the running light, that is what the reference guide is referring to as the parking light, correct? That is a 168 bulb?
Yes its the parking light, and it takes a 168 bulb.

Originally Posted by Muti007
Also, does anyone know if you replace the DRL/turn signal bulb with a high quality super white, will the reflector still give it an orange tint or is it possible to get a clean, bright white light out of there?
Its the bulb that gives it the amber color so if you swap it out with a white bulb you will have a white output w/ no orange / amber color.
Old 03-27-12, 06:53 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Hey guys, just a note. Both that chart and just about every other Ive seen, including the ones at parts shops list the 3157/4157 bulbs as the replacement bulbs for our turn signal/DRL bulbs. This is incorrect. You will need a 1156A bulb.

Just an FYI and something I had to learn the hard way, hoping it might save someone some time and aggravation down the line.

Last edited by Muti007; 03-27-12 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 09:56 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Yes its the parking light, and it takes a 168 bulb.

Its the bulb that gives it the amber color so if you swap it out with a white bulb you will have a white output w/ no orange / amber color.
So wanted to add, the drl/turn signal lens area does have a very slight orange tint of its own, even without the amber bulbs. It's odd. Pull the bulb and you'll notice it right away. Now, I upgraded to Piaa super white bulbs which have a slight blue tinge to them, so if you look at them in a certain way, they can actually appear greenish. Not to worry though, in isolation, as drls, generally speaking I think they look great and very much like hids,mor at least a crisp, clean super white. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed.
Old 04-12-12, 06:09 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

My DRL / turn doesnt have any orange / amber color. If anything it has a very slight green tint to it, like i light colored Coke glass bottle.
Old 04-19-12, 07:43 AM
Muti007
Advanced

My DRL / turn doesnt have any orange / amber color. If anything it has a very slight green tint to it, like i light colored Coke glass bottle.
Oh hey bud, just saw this. Yes, mine are also all greenish as you say, but have you ever removed your amber bulbs completely? I guess you probably have wince youre working on a full HID retro. Well anyway, when I removed my ambers, there was still what looked like a bit of an orange hue in that part of the light cluster. Kind of hard to explain, but it was there. No worries and not a big deal, but thats the best way I can describe it.
Old 04-19-12, 10:47 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

On my headlights the chrome in the DRL reflector is still perfect, no bubbling at all. On the extra set of headlights I bought the chrome on the DRL reflector was badly bubbled up where the bulb sat and somehow the amber color infused itself into the chrome turning the chrome amber around where the glass bulb would sit....thats what youre seeing.

If you ever remove your headlights, remove the bulb and take a peak in the DRL and youll see exactly what Im taking about. Its weird!!? I'll take a picture of both reflectors when I get my headlights back.
Old 04-28-12, 07:18 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

On my headlights the chrome in the DRL reflector is still perfect, no bubbling at all. On the extra set of headlights I bought the chrome on the DRL reflector was badly bubbled up where the bulb sat and somehow the amber color infused itself into the chrome turning the chrome amber around where the glass bulb would sit....thats what youre seeing.

If you ever remove your headlights, remove the bulb and take a peak in the DRL and youll see exactly what Im taking about. Its weird!!? I'll take a picture of both reflectors when I get my headlights back.
Any update on the process? Got a pic with super white DRL lights. I'm interested to see how it looks. TIA.