GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lets Talk Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 05:31 PM
Jafch1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lets Talk Tires

Hey guys,

My GX when I bought it came with OE Dunloap tires, same ones that came stock on the car. The fronts were recently replaced and have 60% tread left, but the rear has 10%. So I am in the market to start looking for tires and wanted to get some opinions.

The majority of my driving is done on paved roads. Id say maybe 100 miles out of the entire tire's life would be spent on dirt trails (nothing extreme).

I have been looking at two tires lately and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions or comments on them.

- The first was going with stock Dunloaps again
- The second tire I was looking at was the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A

I personally like the aggressive tire tread the BF Goodrich has, but am worried that might bring exessive noise into the cabin or vibrations. What do you guys think, or know from experience?

Thanks,
James
Old 06-07-11, 06:59 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

You will find most here will vote for Michelin, either the cross terrains, or the LTX/MS2
Old 06-08-11, 07:42 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

My GX came new with Michelin Cross Terrains. I just replaced them at 63k mi and they probably had another 10k mi to go! I was EXTREMELY happy with them, so much so, I replaced them recently with the exact same tire. Very quite on the road, great in the snow and soft sand (I drive on the beach), and great wet traction. Truely fantastic tires. Michelin had a $70 rebate going when I bought mine. I believe BJ's is offering a $70 rebate right now for a limited time on Michelin tires.

I am a fan of Michelin tires. I put LTX/MS on my Jeep and CT's ont he GX. If your driving includes mostly paved roads with an occasional offroad romp, the CT IMO is one of if not the best all around tire for the GX.
Old 06-08-11, 05:45 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Latitudes and have been very pleased. Very similar to the LTX.
Old 06-09-11, 05:52 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jafch1
I have been looking at two tires lately and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions or comments on them.

- The first was going with stock Dunloaps again
Are you CRAZY??? Dunflops are the worst tires for your truck. I could never understand why Lexus would use such a poor-performing tire as OEM...

Check the review section on tirerack.com and you will find Dunflop GranCrap AT20 all the way at the botom of the list. Where they rightfully belong...

Originally Posted by Jafch1

- The second tire I was looking at was the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A
BFG T/A is a great tire. But its a little too much All-Terrain, at least for my taste. I had them on my Bronco a loooooooong time ago and, while offering great performance, they were NOISY.

Also, you will sacrifice some of the ride comfort for that more aggressive look. That applies to ALL A/T tires.

I would look at 2 other A/T tires: Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor and Nitto Terra-Grappler. Both offer great performance and great looks. You can actually see NTG's on the GX on this forum - on the members has them.

I have GYWSAs on my 4Runner and I love these tires.

And I run Michelin LTX M/S 2 on my GX.

Good luck.

Last edited by snhrph; 06-09-11 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-09-11, 06:26 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Agree, OEM dunlops are the worst. Actually the Dunlop radial rover AT is a good all terrain tire, but if you are not using the truck true off road the cross terrains are great, the LTX is a step up in winter traction.
Old 06-16-11, 07:28 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Agree, OEM dunlops are the worst. Actually the Dunlop radial rover AT is a good all terrain tire, but if you are not using the truck true off road the cross terrains are great, the LTX is a step up in winter traction.
I agree MICHELIN CROSS TERRAINS or LTX M/S2...Tireracks ratings are right on. Also UTQG ratings are the best way to determine how many miles you should get before replacing. Michelins are the BEST and Dunlops are the WORST
Old 06-17-11, 05:53 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

General Grabber UHP. From tire rack. Hated the look of the originals. Love these and look great. I dont get snow. The not all season. The UHP Ultra High Performance. Great for Wet and Dry Performance. Help improve traction in Corners. Horrible for snow and off road
Old 06-17-11, 09:16 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

i will be shopping tires throughout the summer, michelins are leading the pack but i am also contemplating the goodyear silent amours. a friend has them on his LR3 and really likes them - quiet, good traction, kevlar sidewall supposedly made his ride a little sportier.
Old 06-17-11, 03:04 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BlairC
i will be shopping tires throughout the summer, michelins are leading the pack but i am also contemplating the goodyear silent amours. a friend has them on his LR3 and really likes them - quiet, good traction, kevlar sidewall supposedly made his ride a little sportier.
Silent Armor is the best Goodyear has to offer(although im not a Goodyear fan- "Good for a year") However the Michelins still are superior in all categories- especially treadwear IMO. I am a Police Officer and primarily drive Ford Explorers and have used close to every SUV tire out there(depending on contractural suppliers) and we ended up with Michelin Cross terrains on 1 cruiser and we put 80k miles of hard driving before they needed replacement. Goodyear wrangler, Cooper, and goodyear forteras were the first to wear out(appx. 25k miles)
Old 06-17-11, 04:43 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Costco currently has $70 off a set of 4 Michelin tires. Pretty good, but you have to buy 4, buying 2 won't get you the discount.

Turby
Old 06-17-11, 10:07 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Silent Armor is the best Goodyear has to offer(although im not a Goodyear fan- "Good for a year") However the Michelins still are superior in all categories- especially treadwear IMO. I am a Police Officer and primarily drive Ford Explorers and have used close to every SUV tire out there(depending on contractural suppliers) and we ended up with Michelin Cross terrains on 1 cruiser and we put 80k miles of hard driving before they needed replacement. Goodyear wrangler, Cooper, and goodyear forteras were the first to wear out(appx. 25k miles)
great great info. thanks.