GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 01-06-15, 04:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 06:48 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install

keep in mind kids, this is a work in progress..............i installed them a couple of weeks ago and i'm just getting around to doing the DIY now. have patience!

tools needed:
a #2 philips head and flat head screw driver
a 10 mm deep socket wrench
a T25 driver
Electrical tape
Wire Strippers
Metal coat hanger or piano wire

1st you remove the door panels. i will be putting in links to the original thread that nigel posted for many parts of the DIY (some to my posts and some to other people's posts). i started with the passenger side.

credit goes to Mister T and Nomi...thanks guys with your DIY threads i managed to make a lame excuse for one but it'll help others! :-P

1 - remove the black cover directly behind the mirror and pry up the window switches and the leather arm rest as seen in the pic
door panel removal it's pretty much cut and dry....very easy, pop them up and remove any electrical connections. forgot to mention the door handle and lock cables

Last edited by LZMF1; 11-02-10 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-02-10, 06:56 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

2 - after you remove the cover behind the mirror and the door panel you will see the 3 10mm nuts holding the mirror assembly in place. remove the nuts and set the mirror down somewhere.

3 - carefully remove the little cover on the bottom of the mirror assembly to expose the T25 screws holding the the assmbly together.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-t25-screws-and-cover.jpg  

Last edited by LZMF1; 11-02-10 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-02-10, 06:57 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

after you remove the screws you'll see something like this (i say "something like this" because i don't remember how many screws were showing):

the blue tape you see is what i used for padding i will post a pic of the original cover that comes with some sort of adhesive padding and the LED cover that does not.
as you can see i decided to buy some felt pads and use those instead of the double-sided tape i put on the 1st one i did.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-t25-screws-and-mount.jpg   GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-img_20101013_172553_resize.jpg  

Last edited by LZMF1; 11-02-10 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-02-10, 07:07 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

4 - remove the mirror by following Mister T's DIY/mirror removal walkthrough

once you remove the mirror you will see several screws holding the motor/heater in place.....please refer to nomi's write up to remove it

Last edited by LZMF1; 11-02-10 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-02-10, 07:19 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

5 - after removing the mirror, remove the T25 screws on the metal mounting post and that will expose more T25 screws. remove them and you get to the fun part! depinning the connector.......once again i wil refer you to someone else's DIY for that

you'll need a jeweler's flathead screwdriver to pry up the plastic parts in the connector to de-pin

you can see the part that holds the pins in is up and my jeweler's screwdrivers on the floor in my pic.

BE SURE YOU MAKE AN EXPLICIT DIGAGRAM!!!! take pics, do what you have to so you don't screw it up like i did
Attached Thumbnails GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-pins.jpg  
Old 11-02-10, 07:34 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

once you depin the connector you will be able to carefully remove the motor/heater for the mirror from the mirror cover

Last edited by LZMF1; 11-02-10 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-02-10, 07:44 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

my apologies for the messy DIY
Old 11-02-10, 07:53 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

6 - run the wires through the mirror motor/heater base and basically do everything you did in reverse order. i know that Mr. T used a coat hanger i prefer to use piano wire because it's much thinner. here's a pic of mine with the wires run through the mounting post and then a pic of me using the piano wire to run the wires into the mount.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-run-wires.jpg   GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-img_20101013_181740_resize.jpg  
Old 11-02-10, 08:01 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

remember in step 5 where i said to make a really good diagram of the pin placement in the connector? i hope you listened because i lost mine.

7 - put the pins back into the connector.

8 - mount the mirror back on the vehicle.....step back and check your work out! i did ;-)
Attached Thumbnails GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-img_20101013_163306_resize.jpg  
Old 11-02-10, 08:28 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

9 - locate the longer of the 2 wires that came with your snazzy new LED mirror covers. put the pins in the connectors that came with the wires and connect the wire to your completed assembly.

now for the really fun part! running the wires to the driver side door sill and connecting them!

10 - remove the glove compartment and and the black plastic cover below it. while you're at it remove the covers on both the driver and passenger side footwell

11- on the side of the door near the waterproof sleeve you will find 2 10mm screws. remove them and the part that holds the waterproof sleeve.

12 - use your coathanger or piano wire with to run the wires through the sleeve. be sure to leave yourself a bit of slack in the wire inside the door

i found it much easier to go from the inside of the vehicle to the sleeve. in the 2nd pic you'll see the wire run through. it's the black, red, black white quad wire running horizontally across the picture.

once the wire is run close everything up....you're done with this side.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-10mm-screws-waterproof-wires-thru-door.jpg   GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-wires-for-directional-and-puddle-lights.jpg  

Last edited by LZMF1; 11-02-10 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-02-10, 08:33 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

13 -run the wire across to the driver side. use whatever way works for you. i ran mine beneath the carpet but at the very top of it so the wires don't get worn down by constantly being stepped on.

the passenger side one is mounted and the wire is run.....now you have to pretty much do the exact same thing for the driver's side! OH THE FUN!!
Old 11-02-10, 08:49 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

wiring...........

i know Mr T (or was it nomi?)grounded his....i didn't bother.

14 - remove the door sill on the driver side to expose a hefty bundle of wires.

15 - the LED puddle lights are the black and white wires and can basically be spliced together assuming that you want them to work like the courtesy lights for the step. be sure to label which wire are for the divers side and which are for the passenger side....you wouldn't want the left LED mirror directional going when you're turning right would ya?

i have to take better pics.....will continue later
Old 11-02-10, 09:41 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Default puddle light wiring

remove the tape and sheath towards the front of the bundle(and front of the vehicle).

that lil bundle of joy is what i had to go sorting through! luckily for you all i did it and took pics!

the + for the puddle lights is a rather thin red wire with sets of silver dots
the - is also red but it has 2 blue stripes on opposite sides running the legnth of the wire.

you can see how i spliced both wires together further up and ran a single wire to the + and the -
Attached Thumbnails GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-puddle-light-connections.jpg  

Last edited by LZMF1; 11-02-10 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-02-10, 09:57 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

now for the directionals..............

this part was a HOOT!!!!!! took me forever but with the help of a cheap electrical meter and one of my kids i figured out the wiring. to make a long story short i removed the driver side tail light assembly disconnected it and had my kid step on the brakes and turn the left blinker on while i was poking around in the connector with the meter.

the + for the right directional is medium in thickness, blue with a yellow stripe.
the + for the left directional is the same as the other but it has a black stripe instead of a yellow one. in the pic my fingers are near the one for the right directional and the one for the left is diagonally below and a bit to the right.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-directional-l-and-r-positives.jpg  

Last edited by LZMF1; 11-02-10 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typos :-/
Old 11-02-10, 10:18 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Default the final connection!

the - to tap into for the directionals was the most elusive one and took several tries. it wasn't in the bundle of wires that i removed the tape and sheath from to tap into for the + connections for the directionals and the connections for the puddle lights.

this puppy is located closer to the buttons for the driver seat controls in the sill and it's coming from the center of the vehicle to the sill and then heads towards the back. it is a thick white wire with a black stripe. you can clearly see it in the pic. i had screwed up and cut the wires short assuming that the place to tap into was closer to the other connections i soldered the two negatives for the LED directionals together to a wire to use for the tap and used red shrink tube to cover the soldering job up. that is visible in the pic in the post that is labeled "puddle light wiring". the soldered wires and red shrink tube is near the open white wire retaining clip.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install-img_3169.jpg  

Quick Reply: GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror DIY install