GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

transmission Dipstick?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-18, 06:57 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
thanks - I need to keep these numbers handy. Sounds like same number I used several years back when I did the GS350.
Probaby the same parts as they fit multiple transmissions.

I have read on the Tacoma forums that once the fluid is at correct level after a temperature check,it is a good idea to put the vehicle in "relearn" mode.

Do we do that by simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal?
Old 02-12-18, 07:31 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
one of the reasons I like my 03 so much. has a trans dipstick, no tire pressure sensors and no vvti... which is just how I like it
Amen Brother!! Same reasons I bought the 03.
Old 02-12-18, 09:06 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wronglane
Probaby the same parts as they fit multiple transmissions.

I have read on the Tacoma forums that once the fluid is at correct level after a temperature check,it is a good idea to put the vehicle in "relearn" mode.

Do we do that by simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal?
No one does this or has information on this?
Old 02-13-18, 05:15 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

No one does this or has information on this?
no one does it. The truck doesn’t know it has new fluid in it, there’s nothing to relearn as a result.
Old 02-13-18, 10:26 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackCat81

no one does it. The truck doesn’t know it has new fluid in it, there’s nothing to relearn as a result.
True,but,here is the thinking behind it.As miles pile up on the fluid,the add pack and friction modifiers break down and shift quality is not the same as fresh fluid.For people like me with over 100K miles on the fluid,it may or may not be beneficial.Our truck is a 2004,so,its far from new. I know,some manufacturers of new cars will do this after working on a car. I have no idea what Lexus recommends though,so,I thought I would ask.

On another note,last night after a long ride,I went under the truck within 5 minutes with an IR gun. Pointing it at the drain plug or the pan,temps read 95-100 degrees.Pointing it at the over flow plus showed 130-135.Also sprayed the fill plug,drain plug and the over flow plug with power blaster.

Before doing this,I will practice getting the truck into "trans check" mode by jumping numbers 4 & 13 on the OBD. Some have had issues getting it into mode,we shall see. If that fails,I do have Scan Guage2 on another vehicle,which I can use as a last resort.I think the IR gun is the least accurate.

I think I will let the fluid drain from the drain plug over night to get the most out. Once I fill the trans with a little more than I drain,can I take it for a quick drive around the block to warm the fluid a little bit,then,let it idle until the correct temp is reached? I think this will greatly cut down the idle time as others have had to let it idle for 30-50 minutes on a cold engine.Air temp when I do this will probably be around 40. Your thoughts on this?
Old 02-13-18, 12:13 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

True,but,here is the thinking behind it.As miles pile up on the fluid,the add pack and friction modifiers break down and shift quality is not the same as fresh fluid.For people like me with over 100K miles on the fluid,it may or may not be beneficial.Our truck is a 2004,so,its far from new. I know,some manufacturers of new cars will do this after working on a car. I have no idea what Lexus recommends though,so,I thought I would ask.

On another note,last night after a long ride,I went under the truck within 5 minutes with an IR gun. Pointing it at the drain plug or the pan,temps read 95-100 degrees.Pointing it at the over flow plus showed 130-135.Also sprayed the fill plug,drain plug and the over flow plug with power blaster.

Before doing this,I will practice getting the truck into "trans check" mode by jumping numbers 4 & 13 on the OBD. Some have had issues getting it into mode,we shall see. If that fails,I do have Scan Guage2 on another vehicle,which I can use as a last resort.I think the IR gun is the least accurate.

I think I will let the fluid drain from the drain plug over night to get the most out. Once I fill the trans with a little more than I drain,can I take it for a quick drive around the block to warm the fluid a little bit,then,let it idle until the correct temp is reached? I think this will greatly cut down the idle time as others have had to let it idle for 30-50 minutes on a cold engine.Air temp when I do this will probably be around 40. Your thoughts on this?
i think you’re really, really overthinking it as far as relearning trans adaptations go. Drain it, fill it, get the level correct using whatever method you feel is best and easiest for you, and you’re done.
Old 02-14-18, 08:02 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Yes,I do tend to think too much at times. Late this afternoon,I broke both the drain plug and over fill plug loose without issues. Jumped in the truck to practice getting it into temperature mode.Took me 3 times before getting it,then I remembered I had the torque app on my phone.Tried it and trans temp was there,so,that part will now be simple.

Took it for a little ride,pulled it into the garage tonight onto 2x8's giving me 2 more inches of room to work. Waited 10 minutes to let things cool down and removed the over flow plug first where 36 ounces came out. Pulled the drain plug and am letting that drain over night,will measure amount of liquid tomorrow. Fluid is very dark! If you can change your oil,you can do this service. Thank you Blackcat for your advice!

Quick question. In removing the overflow plug on a trans that was at or near 115 degrees netted 36 ounces,does that mean that it was 36 ounces over filled? Sounds like a lot to be over filled.If that is correct,should I measure everything that was drained and add the new fluid in that exact amount before doing a final temp. check?
Attached Thumbnails transmission Dipstick?????-gx470-trans-temp.jpg   transmission Dipstick?????-gx470-trans-fluid.jpg  
Old 02-15-18, 07:50 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Done.........Very easy to do,if you are on the fence about it,do it yourself. It is slightly more difficult than changing your oil.Will do another drain and fill in a week or two changing both crush washers at that time.

Drained a total 110 oz. or 3.44 quarts

After a proper temperature check final total for the correct level was 116 oz. or 3.63 quarts.,so,in my case,transmission was 6 ounces under filled.
Old 02-17-18, 11:37 AM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans dip stick missing and lifetime ATF

Originally Posted by K-Bud
that funny cause i just took the GX into the dealer and no mention of a 40k mile diff and trans fluid change came up in the 40k mile inspection service. You sure about that claim?

I will say the same debate used to go on with BMW's and their lifetime claim for trans fluid but they are coming around to saying it should be changed now. i partcipate on a popular BMW board for my 5 series and it was highly debated for years but seems to have come around over there as well that its good to change the tranny fluid in at least the 40-60k intervals, some are doing it every 30k miles.

I would love to bring this up to my mechanic as he owns a GX as well. hmmmmmmmm

Thx
Dan
As a Mercedes owner as well, I've run into the same thing on both the lack of a dip stick and the Lifetime ATF fluid.
My indi Mercedes mechanic does not believe in either being the right thing to do.
All cars &.trucks should have dip stick, and all ATF fluids should be changed every 30K.
On my Mercedes, the tranny and rear end are changed at 30K...

It will be a couple of weeks before my GX 470 arrives from CA. The first thing is going to be ATF and any other fluids needing it changed out.
Old 03-16-18, 05:22 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Last month on February 15 at 170,000 miles,I did a drain and fill using Amsoil ATL. One month later,March 16, 1,073 miles later,I just did a second drain and fill.New crush washers were installed as well.

Last edited by Wronglane; 03-16-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 06:33 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I got to believe if amsoil oil is good for 1year or 15K miles..,their synthetic gear oils are good for 100K...let’s put it this way...always used their products...many cars, motorcycles. SUV, major mileage alway..... never had an engine, transmission, transfer case or differential failure ever. So 30,000 mile service is over kill...just makes for good banter, opinions and a little obsessive, compulsive debates on most automotive message boards, and that is part of the fun.
Old 03-17-18, 09:22 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I got to believe if amsoil oil is good for 1year or 15K miles..,their synthetic gear oils are good for 100K...let’s put it this way...always used their products...many cars, motorcycles. SUV, major mileage alway..... never had an engine, transmission, transfer case or differential failure ever. So 30,000 mile service is over kill...just makes for good banter, opinions and a little obsessive, compulsive debates on most automotive message boards, and that is part of the fun.
Alan,which oil and what viscosity are you using in your GX? In ours,I go one full year on the oil and the filter. For the SS transmission fluids,you can go double the mileage that the manufacturer recommends for "severe service". I agree,a 30k mile trans service on their trans fluid is over kill,but,you are not going to hurt anything. About 1.5 months ago,I changed the fluid on one of our vehicles with just 14,986 miles(pic below) on it.I did this solely to get the benefits of the Amsoil fluid in the trans.At that mileage,the fluid was surprisingly dark.I could not imagine going 100k miles or treating this as a lifetime fluid as the manufacturer suggests.
Old 03-17-18, 09:57 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I use the signature series 5w-30 and their filters, 1 year or 15K, whichever comes first. 75w-90 sever gear oil, front and rear diff and transfer case. Had an 04 with 180K that I traded for an 09 a few years ago, haven’t swapped out oem drive train fluids yet, truck still only has 50 K miles...probably do it this summer. First trans service will just be a drain and fill soon, then 100 K later do the total flush and replace all 12-13 qts....worked last time so I’m sticking to the plan...how much longer can ya possibly keep a v-8....there will be no gas stations in 10 years, either charging stations, hydrogen stations or a computer will be driving you around....or elan Musks hyper loop.
Old 03-17-18, 10:34 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Good oil and good maintenance,your truck will should last more than you will want it. I am using SS0W30 in our GX after logging over 10k miles on it in another vehicle which is GDI. Over the course of 10k miles,mpg increased by almost 2 mpg.....no joke. This equated to saving at the pump which over the 10k mile oci,it payed for the oil and the filter. In the GX,I did not see the same gain,but,I did see more than a 1 mpg gain.Whatever they put in that oil,it works. It costs a little bit more per quart,but,it is their best base stock which they do not publish.

LOL at your analogy.....remember the Jetsons??....:We are getting closer.....-)

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...T-EA%22?=55439