GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Proxenon vs. Xenondepot (Yes, the debate continues....)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 11:24 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballast install mounts

The ballasts from my XD kit were mounted on the body frame on both sides (see example pic) and bolted in very securely. The relay was also bolted down amongst several other OEM stuff in the engine bay. Of course, my XD has only been on for a couple of weeks, so I am hoping I won't have any problems with it. XenonDepot's Steve is a great guy. Responds in time, excellent customer service and just a top notch person. WIth competition may affect price. But when you are investing $50K+ on your Lexus SUV, ensure you get the best kit, not necessarily the cheapest....

Good luck with your choice. Mine was easy to make, reading from the many forums dedicated to HID installs on CL.
Attached Thumbnails Proxenon vs. Xenondepot (Yes, the debate continues....)-ballast_install.jpg  
Old 01-16-06, 07:24 AM
man8959
Driver

Originally Posted by bluestar
The ballasts from my XD kit were mounted on the body frame on both sides (see example pic) and bolted in very securely. The relay was also bolted down amongst several other OEM stuff in the engine bay. Of course, my XD has only been on for a couple of weeks, so I am hoping I won't have any problems with it. XenonDepot's Steve is a great guy. Responds in time, excellent customer service and just a top notch person. WIth competition may affect price. But when you are investing $50K+ on your Lexus SUV, ensure you get the best kit, not necessarily the cheapest....

Good luck with your choice. Mine was easy to make, reading from the many forums dedicated to HID installs on CL.
must be a new ballast or something, because my is also from xd and it's like 2 inches thicker than the one in the picture
Old 01-16-06, 10:30 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Decided to go with xenondepot--Here's why:

I spoke at length with Steve @ XD and he tells me why they use a relay. There are 2 main reasons.
1)To avoid overloading vehicle wiring harnesses. He says that while some vehicles will work just fine without a relay, they can't guess how every vehicle will react, hence using a relay as an extra margin of safety

2) Avoids stress on the ballasts. Steve tells me that some wiring harnesses are a bit thin and will allow too much voltage fluctuation at idle when under load, i.e. when there is a greater current draw. Tapping the power right from the battery gives a much more consistent power flow.

I voiced my concern about having only one relay, to which he states one can certainly use two, adding that they are now considering a dual relay harness---but not for the reasons we would think. He is quite confident in the single relay set up, but says that many newer cars, like MB, will trigger a "light out" warning if there is no load attached to both light connectors.

As for proxenon, I liked their products, but was put off by the many spelling/grammer errors in their websites-almost like Japanese stereo instructions.

Bottom line: I'm going with the XD setup.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Last edited by JWS3; 01-16-06 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-16-06, 04:22 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by man8959
must be a new ballast or something, because my is also from xd and it's like 2 inches thicker than the one in the picture
Yes. The new ballasts are thinner than the earlier ones.
Old 01-17-06, 02:47 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had XD kit for some time and couldn't be happier. I was skeptical at first because I am so far away but after talking with Steve @ XD, I was convinced I'd get a quality product. Sorry, I don't have any experience with proX.

MAC
Old 01-17-06, 06:21 AM
25cliffy
Rookie

Piece of mind is worth a few extra bucks in my opinion. Spend the extra dollars and sleep easy!
Old 01-17-06, 09:31 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peace of mind, for a few dollars more... hehehehehe...

...isn't this the reason why we chose Lexus to begin with...

-Alex