GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

XenonDepot HID Technical Difficulties

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-05, 05:45 PM
StarbuckGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post XenonDepot HID Technical Difficulties

Hey all... having recently installed a H11 4300k kit into my GX, the lights have been acting quite strangely. For example, today the lights turned on spontaneously during the day but the light control was set to OFF in the vehicle. The lights remained on once the vehicle was powered off and the key was removed. Another example, after shutting down the vehicle, the lights began to flash sporadically, almost like a strobe light type of effect, but individually and not in unison. This happened in the OFF, Parking, ON and Auto positions on the light selector.

What could be causing these problems? I have triple checked all of my connections but could be missing something. Perhaps I have a bad relay or something? Has anyone else experienced these problems? Any advice? Thanks!
Old 12-26-05, 06:30 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default I would guess its a sticking relay, but call them first.

Sounds like a sticking relay to me, as its the only "moving" part.
Old 12-27-05, 09:44 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Starbuck

Yeah sounds like the relay might be bad but shoot Steve @ Xenondepot.com an emal he is really good at customer service. He will make things right.
Old 12-27-05, 06:39 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

I was thinking for getting the 4300 HID myself...please keep us posted on the problem...by the way who makes the relay..is it Philips?
Old 12-28-05, 09:18 AM
StarbuckGX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks gang... XenonDepot sent me a diagram to test the relay, which I will try to get too today. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-28-05, 09:22 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Xenondepot kit

The Xenondepot kit uses philips components. This is the first time on two different boards that I have ever heard of any problems with the kit. I am sure he will have it resolved.
Old 12-28-05, 01:36 PM
StarbuckGX
Driver School Candidate

Still waiting for Steve to get back to me again... the diagram he sent suggests that I should have 2 relays (one for each side) but I only have one relay that connects both right and left. Does anyone else have one relay or do you all have two?
Old 12-28-05, 03:21 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Starbuck you should only have one relay

Did you look at my original step by step install. I took pics with the diagram and everything. You should only have one relay on the drivers side. All cables go to that one relay and its the only moving part. Make sure you go back and check all of your contact points such as the ground and positive wires.

Look at my DIY install guide.
Old 12-28-05, 03:29 PM
StarbuckGX
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I reviewed your guide thoroughly before installing... the thing is that the diagram from Steve is totally different than what we have... it describes two relays in the kit. I will have to wait to hear back from Steve to see what the deal is... maybe he sent the wrong test diagram by accident.
Old 12-28-05, 04:03 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Two Relays

Originally Posted by StarbuckGX

Yeah I reviewed your guide thoroughly before installing... the thing is that the diagram from Steve is totally different than what we have... it describes two relays in the kit. I will have to wait to hear back from Steve to see what the deal is... maybe he sent the wrong test diagram by accident.
Starbuck.....

I have always thought that having both headlights on one circuit was a bad idea. The circuit fails, you have no headlights.

As you may know, the GX has two circuits, one for each headlight. Actually, four circuits, two for the low and two for the high beams.

It's possible that XenonDepot has seen the error of their ways and are now separating the left and right side headlights. Thus, the two relays.....

~ Cap
Old 12-29-05, 03:51 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Starbuck whats your status

Hey Starbuck did you fix your problem with the HID kit.
Old 12-31-05, 07:57 PM
steevr
Pole Position

My fuse on my XD kit blew one night for no reason. I was glad that the fogs and the parking lights still worked. I managed to stop at the next gas station and get an extra fuse. Now I carry an extra, but luckily never needed it again.
Old 01-09-06, 09:14 AM
StarbuckGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed

Ok gang... seems to be fixed... I replaced the relay and now all is well. It seems to be that water corrosion was the cause of failure in the Tyco relay, which is weird because it failed within two weeks of installation. (damn Seattle weather!!) Once I purchased the replacement relay, I realized how crappy the relay was that is included with the XD kit. Do the rest of you have a Tyco brand relay as part of your kit? Anyways, I re-inspected the entire install and found no other issues.