GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DAMN: Lowered on Eibachs + AWD = Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 07:26 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DAMN: Lowered on Eibachs + AWD = Vibration

Well chalk up another one....

Although the GS350 now looks like all the promotional ads that I was fooled with at the dealership. I have that annoying vibration when I engage the car in Reverse or Drive. it isnt horrible but it does jingle the coins in the center console coin holder.

I have not taken the car out for a drive yet, but I plan to do so tomorrow. I am still running on stock 17's I will try driving around for a few days and see what becomes of it.

I dont want to put the stock springs back in as I'd rather keep the better looking profile with the damn vibration.

I have my new TOM's wheels ready in the garage to be mounted on car in 2 weeks once the springs settle and I make note of all the bugs associated with this install.

After looking at the front strut assembly pretty close, I think it is VERY easy to make a coilover system for this car. the front strut actually unscrews from the "Question mark" looking fork that attaches the upper A arms and lower control arms and steering knuckle. There is plenty of room for a threaded body and adjustability.

I will try to contact MEGAN Racing and see if they are interested in supplying a market everyone else has failed to recognize.

Last edited by B.Diddy; 05-15-08 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 08:51 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i heard that with AWD u cant really lower them..just wat ive heard.
Old 05-15-08, 11:14 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
........ I have that annoying vibration when I engage the car in Reverse or Drive. it isnt horrible but it does jingle the coins in the center console coin holder.
thats exactly what ive heard and the reason why springs made for RWD GS's dont work on AWD cars!!!

........I will try to contact MEGAN Racing and see if they are interested in supplying a market everyone else has failed to recognize.
Good luck on that one!
Old 05-16-08, 07:28 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Well chalk up another one....

Although the GS350 now looks like all the promotional ads that I was fooled with at the dealership. I have that annoying vibration when I engage the car in Reverse or Drive. it isnt horrible but it does jingle the coins in the center console coin holder.

I have not taken the car out for a drive yet, but I plan to do so tomorrow. I am still running on stock 17's I will try driving around for a few days and see what becomes of it.

I dont want to put the stock springs back in as I'd rather keep the better looking profile with the damn vibration.

I have my new TOM's wheels ready in the garage to be mounted on car in 2 weeks once the springs settle and I make note of all the bugs associated with this install.

After looking at the front strut assembly pretty close, I think it is VERY easy to make a coilover system for this car. the front strut actually unscrews from the "Question mark" looking fork that attaches the upper A arms and lower control arms and steering knuckle. There is plenty of room for a threaded body and adjustability.

I will try to contact MEGAN Racing and see if they are interested in supplying a market everyone else has failed to recognize.
My car had the same vibration you're talking about even before I lowered it. Are you positive that the vibration wasn't previously there? Also, I don't think the vibration is as bad as you describe!

I see what you're saying about the AWD front struts and I was thinking the exact same thing. Can that piece be bolted on/off? For me, I wouldn't dis-assemble the "question mark piece" and assemble onto an aftermarket coilover spec'd for the 2WD. Although, I think it may work. I think the aftermarket manufacturers would like and AWD to test the idea.

As for the other posts. I don't see any problems with lowering the car with 2WD spec'd springs. If anything, the front CV boots might wear faster (depending on how low the car is). The overall design of the AWD system shouldn't be any different from an Audi, Subaru or Mitsubishi and lots of those owners lower their cars. I think the aftermarket manufacturers do not want to spec their components for the AWD yet because they have limited or no test data. Basically, it's most likely a liability issue. Being that there are more customers with an AWD GS (since late 05) and a larger market of owners wanting to modify their suspension, I think that you might start seeing AWD spec'd aftermarket lowering components within the next year.
Old 05-16-08, 09:22 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Im going out for a test drive.... I'll report back this afternoon. The vibration was 100% NOT there before. I made note of these things. its annoying and it does jingle the change in my coin holder. I am not one of these guys that blindly does things.... I been reading all the lowering posts for months, I double checked all the items that could have been problematic, and so far so good.

Let's see what happens. Im being optimistic.
Old 05-16-08, 04:46 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how is the car driving? or what are the results your getting?
Old 05-16-08, 11:40 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

I had the same problem.. i didn have some vibration before the springs.. the springs really amplified it and dealer removed them at no cost and even put newer factory springs in.. vibration is 'mostly' gone but still occurs on occasion.. sux to be back to 3in gap
Old 05-17-08, 06:00 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kuch123
I had the same problem.. i didn have some vibration before the springs.. the springs really amplified it and dealer removed them at no cost and even put newer factory springs in.. vibration is 'mostly' gone but still occurs on occasion.. sux to be back to 3in gap
Are you serious, how was the dealer able to do that at no cost?
Old 05-17-08, 06:10 AM
kuch123
Pole Position

because the problem was still there (although not as severe) after removing them and they upgraded my springs to a newer 'stock' version (apparently there was some factory change w/o a TSB).. so irregardless of which springs were removed, the work was still going to get done anyway.. plus they were the ones that installed the Tanabes for me.. they are a very mod friendly dealership.. most any time you go in there they have an IS or something sitting in the showroom with an intake, exhaust, custom rims, springs, etc.. that you can buy as is.. on a side note, i stopped in yesterday and drove the IS-F .. love it.. will write more later, but i hope they do the same with the GS-F.. love how it downshifts in sport mode.. amazingly fast shifts.. an excellent 'first try' for a lexus performance car..
Old 05-17-08, 07:59 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kuch123
because the problem was still there (although not as severe) after removing them and they upgraded my springs to a newer 'stock' version (apparently there was some factory change w/o a TSB).. so irregardless of which springs were removed, the work was still going to get done anyway.. plus they were the ones that installed the Tanabes for me.. they are a very mod friendly dealership.. most any time you go in there they have an IS or something sitting in the showroom with an intake, exhaust, custom rims, springs, etc.. that you can buy as is.. on a side note, i stopped in yesterday and drove the IS-F .. love it.. will write more later, but i hope they do the same with the GS-F.. love how it downshifts in sport mode.. amazingly fast shifts.. an excellent 'first try' for a lexus performance car..
I understand, the dealer installed the Tanabe's and warranted the work. That's weird, the dealer installed Tanabe springs spec'd for a 2WD on your AWD. I totally understand that they're mod friendly but I'm surprised they installed springs that weren't spec'd for the AWD and warranted the work!
Old 05-17-08, 11:05 AM
kuch123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nardeezy
I understand, the dealer installed the Tanabe's and warranted the work. That's weird, the dealer installed Tanabe springs spec'd for a 2WD on your AWD. I totally understand that they're mod friendly but I'm surprised they installed springs that weren't spec'd for the AWD and warranted the work!
again, they didn't warrant the tanabe work. They 'somewhat' resolved the vibration issue that existed with my original stock springs to begin with.. That resolution involved installing updated factory springs.. so removing the currently installed springs was part of installing the newer factory springs irregardless of them being stock or tanabe..
Old 05-17-08, 11:32 PM
spider_55
Driver

so do we know what is causing the vibration? How can other owners have no issue with vibration after lowing and others do? What is the cause and reason for the discrepancy?
Old 05-18-08, 02:46 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spider_55
so do we know what is causing the vibration? How can other owners have no issue with vibration after lowing and others do? What is the cause and reason for the discrepancy?
It's hard to say what the actual reason is, too many factors. The degree of vibration is subjective amongst owners, some may not notice it while other think it's major. The cause and reason for the vibe will need to be investigated more thoroughly.

By the way, do your questions refer to a stock of modified suspension?
Old 05-19-08, 12:03 AM
lexusgs408
Lead Lap

oh boy that sucks but hope you can fit it soon.......
Old 05-19-08, 10:16 AM
spider_55
Driver

Originally Posted by nardeezy
It's hard to say what the actual reason is, too many factors. The degree of vibration is subjective amongst owners, some may not notice it while other think it's major. The cause and reason for the vibe will need to be investigated more thoroughly.

By the way, do your questions refer to a stock of modified suspension?
Modified. I have no vibration issues now, but will be installing NF210's next week on my GS350 AWD. I just want to see if it is an installation issue since the results vary from AWD owners, or if people know what the cause is and if a workaround can be accomplished by a good mechanic.

Thanks for your reply.

Quick Reply: DAMN: Lowered on Eibachs + AWD = Vibration