GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DAMN: Lowered on Eibachs + AWD = Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 08:03 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read up on numerous web car forums concerning lowered spring and "clunk" looks like if not seated properly the springs bind on recoil of suspension and when tension is release they snap free causing the dreaded clunk sound. NOTE: my front driver spring was about 1/8" to 1/4" not seated properly on the upper rubber bushing.

Just posting my personal experience and personal fixes for public info
Old 08-21-08, 11:54 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have steering wheel, floor and seat vibrations (65mph+) in which I cannot find the root cause?

The vehicle has been aligned numerous times, wheels/tires road force balanced 3 times this week and I have hubcentric rings (black plastic). I am on a new set of Sumitomo's but my previous Dunlop's had vibration as well. The car has no vibrations when my stock 17" wheels/tires are installed. I'm trying to find a place that can perform a "on-vehicle" wheel/tire balance. Any feedback would help!
Old 08-21-08, 01:07 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

many brands of cars have vibration at freeway speeds. including bmw, cadillac.

and these are stock height
Old 08-21-08, 01:18 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

pls explain --> bmw

never heard such things about bmw
Old 08-21-08, 02:18 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack

True, any car can have vibration. Most of the time it can be corrected with a wheel spin balance or road force balance. If the car has aftermarket wheels then the hubcentric ring is key.

My issue is that everything looks good (alignment, iForged road force balance results, I have hub centric rings, and the car rides great with the stocks) except when I have my iForged wheels installed I get vibrations.

I'm thinking that I have bad/damaged, innaccurate/precise hubcentric rings? If my car runs perfectly fine with the stock wheels/tires than my driveline, motor mounts, suspension, brake rotors, wheel bearings, etc. have to be out of the equations. Any thoughts?
Old 08-21-08, 03:27 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

process of elimination.

could be the big tires, wheels, or whatever is attached to it.
Old 08-21-08, 03:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whlkev
pls explain --> bmw

never heard such things about bmw
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...heel+vibration
Old 08-21-08, 03:49 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

ahh.. all old bimmer, me no care then
Old 08-21-08, 05:57 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

*nardeezy*
if you are not having a vibration issue with stock wheels, and u had ur iforged wheels balanced numerous times, then i guess it's definitely a problem with hubcentric rings?? i have the same problem on my beater (not my gs), vibration on steering wheel, seat, 65+mph to be exact only because my wheels are not balanced..
Old 08-21-08, 07:16 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

I think my car is just really sensitive to tire pressure, temp and humidity. On my drive home from work the vibration was not that bad. Sometimes it wasn't even noticeable at 65mph. owever, I could still feel it during high speed acceleration, deceleration and braking. Luckily, I have a friend that has alot of tools and experience working on cars. We're gonna try and analyze the wheel/tire rotation while the car is lifted.

Ideally, I'd like to find a place that can perform a "on-vehicle" wheel/tire balance for an AWD. As a backup, I am going to order a new set of hubcentric rings.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 08-21-08, 08:02 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nardeezy
I have steering wheel, floor and seat vibrations (65mph+) in which I cannot find the root cause?

The vehicle has been aligned numerous times, wheels/tires road force balanced 3 times this week and I have hubcentric rings (black plastic). I am on a new set of Sumitomo's but my previous Dunlop's had vibration as well. The car has no vibrations when my stock 17" wheels/tires are installed. I'm trying to find a place that can perform a "on-vehicle" wheel/tire balance. Any feedback would help!

Nardeezy, to be honest with you,

I have 18 GS wheels and even they were causing some vibration in my steering wheel no matter what if I had bridgestone, continentals, or michelins. I found out later that 2 rims were 2cm bent on the side (unseen by the naked eye but presence of little too much weight on the rim to balance (about 1.5 to even 2.5 ounce was too much). The tire doesn't really contribute too much since road force was very low. With my michelins, vibration was almost nonexistence but was slight there at times on some highways but when I got fed-up I looked at my rims and decided that since the tires are all new and not causing this, the rim themselves are defective due to more weights. The good rims require NO WEIGHTS at all !! SO, you might want to get rid of your rims themselves or replace them with another brand. Dont worry about the tires, they are not the cause since road force and balancing has been done numerous time like mines. My car was fine up till 23,000 miles. I have 30,000 and its back to new after 5,000 miles of problem.

Oh, and for that tire pressure thing u mention, my car was also sensitive to the tire pressure. One day when the weather was hot and pressure was high, vibration was minimal. Few weeks later, cooler morning, felt more vibration, IT WAS ANNOYING> I then put more air in my tires up to 44 in the front and 38 in the back to minimize it and it worked half the time. Now, with the new replacement rims, my pressure is down to 36 in all 4 tires and no vibes or road feel in the wooden steering at all no matter what the temps are outside. Its a great peace of mind now. SO THIS IS WHY UR 17 inches are fine since the car is fine and since u change tires TOO MANY TIMES, its those optional rims u have.

Last edited by Rexus300; 08-21-08 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 09:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

True, any car can have vibration. Most of the time it can be corrected with a wheel spin balance or road force balance. If the car has aftermarket wheels then the hubcentric ring is key.

My issue is that everything looks good (alignment, iForged road force balance results, I have hub centric rings, and the car rides great with the stocks) except when I have my iForged wheels installed I get vibrations.

I'm thinking that I have bad/damaged, innaccurate/precise hubcentric rings? If my car runs perfectly fine with the stock wheels/tires than my driveline, motor mounts, suspension, brake rotors, wheel bearings, etc. have to be out of the equations. Any thoughts?
I have a very very very small vibration from the rear at about 78-80 mph. I have had the car back for balance and all is well. I am taking it back in next week to have the rings replaced in the wheels in the rear. I will let you know what happens. Are your wheels 3 pc.??
Old 08-22-08, 07:39 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Nardeezy, to be honest with you,

I have 18 GS wheels and even they were causing some vibration in my steering wheel no matter what if I had bridgestone, continentals, or michelins. I found out later that 2 rims were 2cm bent on the side (unseen by the naked eye but presence of little too much weight on the rim to balance (about 1.5 to even 2.5 ounce was too much). The tire doesn't really contribute too much since road force was very low. With my michelins, vibration was almost nonexistence but was slight there at times on some highways but when I got fed-up I looked at my rims and decided that since the tires are all new and not causing this, the rim themselves are defective due to more weights. The good rims require NO WEIGHTS at all !! SO, you might want to get rid of your rims themselves or replace them with another brand. Dont worry about the tires, they are not the cause since road force and balancing has been done numerous time like mines. My car was fine up till 23,000 miles. I have 30,000 and its back to new after 5,000 miles of problem.

Oh, and for that tire pressure thing u mention, my car was also sensitive to the tire pressure. One day when the weather was hot and pressure was high, vibration was minimal. Few weeks later, cooler morning, felt more vibration, IT WAS ANNOYING> I then put more air in my tires up to 44 in the front and 38 in the back to minimize it and it worked half the time. Now, with the new replacement rims, my pressure is down to 36 in all 4 tires and no vibes or road feel in the wooden steering at all no matter what the temps are outside. Its a great peace of mind now. SO THIS IS WHY UR 17 inches are fine since the car is fine and since u change tires TOO MANY TIMES, its those optional rims u have.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. As a matter of fact, when the shop was road force balancing the wheels/tires they mentioned that one of the wheels/tires was slightly out of round. However, he mentioned that it passed the road force balance. We also talked about wheel mfg. tolerancing for roundness and concentricity, and that because the wheel seems visually out of round or non-concentric that it may be within specification. Anyways, that's a seperate GD&T topic. Basically, I have one wheel that is possibly defective.
Old 08-22-08, 07:40 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have a very very very small vibration from the rear at about 78-80 mph. I have had the car back for balance and all is well. I am taking it back in next week to have the rings replaced in the wheels in the rear. I will let you know what happens. Are your wheels 3 pc.??
2 Piece iForged formula series.
Old 08-22-08, 08:33 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. As a matter of fact, when the shop was road force balancing the wheels/tires they mentioned that one of the wheels/tires was slightly out of round. However, he mentioned that it passed the road force balance. We also talked about wheel mfg. tolerancing for roundness and concentricity, and that because the wheel seems visually out of round or non-concentric that it may be within specification. Anyways, that's a seperate GD&T topic. Basically, I have one wheel that is possibly defective.
Hey, you are totally right. However, the road force balance can say that the wheel is in spec even if there is some degree of variance in the lateral and radial run out, but bear in mind that Lexus are totally sensitive to the wheel roundness and may require even more narrow degree range of how much runout u can have for radial or lateral. Road force balance will still pass since the tire is a major contributor to the force while the wheel mainly acts neutral when turning mainly. Thus, if you try to look at your rim, find the rim with the lowest balancing weight and look at the rim with the highest balancing weight. Consider replacing the rim with the highest balancing weights out of the 4 first and try to see if the vibration minimizes, it might really work. Hope you find the defective wheel or 2 if possible.

Quick Reply: DAMN: Lowered on Eibachs + AWD = Vibration