GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Detailed HID Fog Light Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 12:17 AM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Detailed HID Fog Light Installation

I would first like to thank 14wr3nc3 for showing us how this could be done. Having said that, I would like to add my experience and pictures of my HID installation. I decided not to add this to 14wr3nc3's thread because of the length, but Kudos again to 14wr3nc3 he is the MAAAAN!!!!!!

This picture already shows the plastic pins and the two 10mm hex screws removed (14wr3nc3's thread already shows you how to remove them).

View showing 2 10mm Hex screws removed (Hex screw under car not shown but removed).

When I pushed in on the liner, I found it easier to remove if I also pulled out slightly on the bumper body near each clip starting with the bottom clip. The plastic bumper will flex but don't over do it. Then pull back the liner as shown and remove the halogen bulb from its housing. Connect the conversion cable (two wires from the ballast) to the HID bulb. Unscrew the protective cap on the HID bulb and remove the protective plastic base plate (used nippers to cut off). I suggest that you use latex gloves (examination gloves) when handling the HID bulb. Insert the bulb in the fog housing (just align tangs, insert and twist to lock). Then connect the car wiring bundle (two wires) to the ballast input power cable. If the cable does not already have a connector on the end, but an adapter connector like my kit had, make sure you install the wires from the ballast so you have the right polarity. The green wire with the yellow stripe going in to the car's power connector is the POSITIVE lead. If you get the hookup reversed it should not damage anything but the HIB bulb wont ignite.

With all the connections made, turn on your fog lights to confirm everything is working. After you confirm, install the ballast in a suitable location. As you can see I chose the bottom of the bumper. I used the two sided tape provided, but also used a cable tie to secure it further (there are convenient holes to thread though and around the ballast as shown below). Then use smaller cable ties to secure the cables and then button her up.

End result as shown.

Note:
The driver's side installation was more difficult due to the headlight washer bottle interference. But after doing that side first, the passenger side was a 10 minute job (already went through the learning curve).

Good luck
Old 11-03-07, 09:22 AM
drewdogg80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics! I'm awaiting my HID fogs to be delivered and will refer to this thread for installation.
Old 01-06-08, 04:49 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

I just did my fogs with 6000K bulbs, following this tutorial No problems encountered, it was a breeze!
Old 01-06-08, 04:51 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gotta love HID fogs

Old 01-06-08, 04:58 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Nice. Doesn't look very 6000K in the pic though...

I got a single inverted LED city light bulb that matches 6000K very well. Got it for like 7 bucks shipped (for the pair). I'll post the link later.

I'm waiting on my D4S 6000K bulbs to arrive...

My HID kit with ultra slim ballast was 99 dollars shipped. The HID bulbs 75 bucks shipped and the 7-8 bucks for the LED city lights. Not bad for less than 200 bucks. Maybe I should sell some of that stuff here and mark it up
Old 01-06-08, 05:02 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea, HID colors are very hard to capture. but they are very purple at startup
Old 01-06-08, 05:15 PM
wimbley100
Driver School Candidate

Looks awesome. Please post the link. I want to get them ASAP. Any idea how to change out the DRL's to a whiter look ?
Old 01-06-08, 11:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by wimbley100
Looks awesome. Please post the link. I want to get them ASAP. Any idea how to change out the DRL's to a whiter look ?
Your best bet is to get highbeam bulbs that are hyper white or ultra white (blue coated glass).
Old 01-06-08, 11:46 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Your best bet is to get highbeam bulbs that are hyper white or ultra white (blue coated glass).
Or have the dealership turn that nastiness off!!! I can't wait till mine gets turned off, it's so ugly!

Here are the bulbs I got for the city lights:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...186326027&rd=1

Here's the permanent link to the seller's store: http://stores.ebay.com/V-LEDS

I got the Inverted cone LED (HID White 194 wedge as they call it).

Then I got my HID kit here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...185203498&rd=1

Permanent store link: http://stores.ebay.com/HID-Outdoor-Equipments

I bought an HID kit from this guy before, but the big ballast style one. This small style has more wires. It has a separate ignitor, which I've never seen before, which attaches in line with the ballast. Then there's a separate fuse holder. A lot of wires I suppose, but whatever, it's nice, and for the price, you can't complain!!!! $99.98 shipped, I'm there!

Here's a video of my previous 6000K fog light kit I got from this guy (H3) on my old E55 AMG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8NLSSnTXs0

I'll post the info on my D4S bulbs once I get them and can attest to the quality.
Old 01-07-08, 06:18 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Crap so I just noticed tonight, one of my LED bulbs crapped out.... sigh...
Old 01-08-08, 05:43 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Oh well that bulb is back on now... lol weird.
Old 01-09-08, 08:51 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Crap so I just noticed tonight, one of my LED bulbs crapped out.... sigh...
It might eventually start flickering. Both of mine did. I switched to Polarg M4's.
Old 09-18-12, 04:03 AM
3GS350RWD
Driver School Candidate

thanks to HotShotEng and 14wr3nc3.

I installed my HID fogs. I did went into a little problem. Here is my 2 cents. The base of the bulbs is little thicker than the original and I couldn't lock the bulbs in position. My work around was to loose the screws a bit ( red arrow pointing to the screws) and turn the bulbs into lock position, then tighten the screws. Hope this helps someone who has the same problem I had.

Old 09-28-12, 12:31 PM
blkvader
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone heard that HID bulb on the fog lights housing can catch on fire? since the HID burn a bit hot, can this be true
Old 09-28-12, 05:04 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They'll run no hotter than regular halogen bulbs will, so don't sweat over it.
If you're referring to the ballast that is used to increase the voltage to strike the arc, again, it'll not be running any hotter than lukewarm, if even.
All this will have been tested, if they have genuine UL/TÜV/BS conformity approval.

Quick Reply: Detailed HID Fog Light Installation