GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

door panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 01:55 PM
costanza
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door panel removal

Can someone PLEASE post pics and instructions on removing the door panels on a new 2006 GS?

thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-05, 11:00 PM
blue06gs
Driver

----------------------bump---------------------------------------
Old 05-18-07, 03:33 PM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone help me on this? How to remove of the door panel?
Old 05-18-07, 08:27 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have access to Repair Manual Volume 5, it is explained with figures on pages ED-66 and 67. The steps are, ver batim:

1) Remove door inside handle bezel.
(a) Using a screwdriver (tape the tip first) detach 3 claws and remove the 3 claws and remove the bezel plug.

2) Remove front door trim panel assembly.
(a) Detach the 2 claws and remove the trim lower cover. (This is a small panel located above the door pocket, below the handle.)
(b) Disconnect the connector
(c) Remove the 2 screws. (One is behind this lower trim cover, the other is behind the door handle bezel.)
(d) Remove the 9 clips and the trim cover (the entire door panel).

It makes more sense if you can see the figures. Claws are those little plastic clips molded into the edges of the bezels. I get the sense that the small screwdriver is used to depress the clip so it will disengage from the mounting surface.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-07, 10:25 PM
mickey99us
Rookie

its a royal pain in the butt when you end up breaking some tabs off or when your all said and done and you look in the center console and find a few tabs that you missed
Old 05-19-07, 05:48 PM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrexLex
If you have access to Repair Manual Volume 5, it is explained with figures on pages ED-66 and 67. The steps are, ver batim:

1) Remove door inside handle bezel.
(a) Using a screwdriver (tape the tip first) detach 3 claws and remove the 3 claws and remove the bezel plug.

2) Remove front door trim panel assembly.
(a) Detach the 2 claws and remove the trim lower cover. (This is a small panel located above the door pocket, below the handle.)
(b) Disconnect the connector
(c) Remove the 2 screws. (One is behind this lower trim cover, the other is behind the door handle bezel.)
(d) Remove the 9 clips and the trim cover (the entire door panel).

It makes more sense if you can see the figures. Claws are those little plastic clips molded into the edges of the bezels. I get the sense that the small screwdriver is used to depress the clip so it will disengage from the mounting surface.

Good luck!

Can you post any of the figures (pictures)?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-07, 10:33 AM
wingster
Driver

*****Bump*****
Old 05-25-07, 11:12 AM
Toasterdog
Driver School Candidate

Wingster, I don't have pics, but I will try and give basic instruction. First off, this is very easy. I actually had to remove 3 of my door panels to replace damaged weather stripping (thnx tint guy) Anyway, evrything prolly took my 45 minutes to get them off, replace molding and put back on.

The hardest part is locating a couple hidden screws. Like Drexlex said, there is one located behind the door handle. 1) If you slightly pull on the door handle from the inside (like u r getting out of the car) u can use a small flathead screwdriver to pop the lil black plastic that sits behind the handle...remove the screw that is hidden behind it. 2) The lil white LED light that shines down into the side pocket on the door can easily be popped out with a small flathead on the end of the light. Doing this will reveal another screw, remove it. 3) There is a small screw holding the round rubber bumper on the door (screw is visible), kinda where the door latches closed, remove this. 4)The final screw is in a recessed area in about the 1 o'clock position if you r looking at the panel like a clock. It actually butts up against the side of the dashboard when the door is closed. You can see the screw without removing anything, just a flashlight, remove the screw. 5) Other than that you can just basically pull the door panel off, there r some pressure clips that pop right out(just pull out gently on the panel and work your way around) and easily get pushed back in when reattaching, These r all located on the outer edges of the door panel. When the panel is loose, just lift up slightly on the panel.

This really is much easier than it sounds. I wish I had time to take and post pics but I don't. Hope this helps you some. But, i really don't think u have anything to sweat...it really was very simple. Good luck!
Old 05-25-07, 11:49 AM
wingster
Driver

Thanks toasterdog!

I'm familiar with removing Honda and Acura door panels, but Lexus hides the screws pretty well... and I don't really want to pull without removing all the hidden screws.

Last edited by wingster; 05-25-07 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-16-07, 09:56 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's two screws. One is behind the chrome door handle pull, and the other is behind the door pocket's LED. I pulled the door apart yesterday, and it went easily.

Behind the chrome door handle is a flat plastic plate. With the handle pulled to the open position, you can see an opening behind it at one edge. I used a hook and pulled it right out from that corner. Pops off.

Remove the LED light in the storage bin. By pushing on the panel area next to the LED housing, a gap opens between them. A flat blade driver inserted there gently releases the light. Then disconnect the wire connector.

Remove the screws in each of these locations (2 total).

Now just pop off the door panel, same as with other cars. There's 9 clips around the edge. I used a flat blade driver at the bottom to get my fingers in there, but after the first one popped, I used my hands for all the others.

Make sure the window is open. It's easier to wiggle the top of the panel off the metal edge.

Once the panel is free, the only thing left is a wire connector and the 2 cables which actuate the door handle and lock. These come off very easily. Slide the plastic collars off the bracket, then the ball end of the cables come right out. It's easy to put them back on. Take note of which color goes where.

Once the main connector is removed, you have to reset the window by running it up/down 3 times from that door in order to get the driver's control to work again.