GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Stock Muffler with Aftermarket Midpipe + Headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 05:52 PM
avion
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Stock Muffler with Aftermarket Midpipe + Headers

Anyone running a setup like this? I currently have a resonated Apex'i Catback and it drones to high hell (I'm fine with it, but the lady isn't). Problem is, I'm dead set on PPE UEL headers (unsure if I'll go catless or catted). I have my stock axleback sitting in the attic and was thinking about throwing that back on + the Apex'i midpipe and PPE headers. This might give me the noise and power gains I'm looking for, but less drone. Would love anybody's thoughts or experiences here.

Other (pricier) option is get a Tom's or valved axleback, I've heard this significantly reduces droning even with headers, but this will be an additional $2500 atleast. May just have to suck it up and pony up the money or deal with drone.

Lastly, anyone upgrade from just an Apex'i catback and add EL or UEL PPE headers? How much more noise/drone did you get? I'm sure it sounds amazing.

Thanks all!
Old 08-11-22, 06:52 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I got the HotRodScott exhaust and zero drone when closed just like stock. But when open it turns heads.
The following users liked this post:
avion (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 07:04 PM
1wacko
Intermediate

Received 183 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by avion
Anyone running a setup like this? I currently have a resonated Apex'i Catback and it drones to high hell (I'm fine with it, but the lady isn't). Problem is, I'm dead set on PPE UEL headers (unsure if I'll go catless or catted). I have my stock axleback sitting in the attic and was thinking about throwing that back on + the Apex'i midpipe and PPE headers. This might give me the noise and power gains I'm looking for, but less drone. Would love anybody's thoughts or experiences here.

Other (pricier) option is get a Tom's or valved axleback, I've heard this significantly reduces droning even with headers, but this will be an additional $2500 atleast. May just have to suck it up and pony up the money or deal with drone.

Lastly, anyone upgrade from just an Apex'i catback and add EL or UEL PPE headers? How much more noise/drone did you get? I'm sure it sounds amazing.

Thanks all!
I have the PPE EL headers and a dual free flow complete exhaust replacement without valves. The car gets really loud and there is drone at low gears.
Another thing if you decide to go with headers, are you going to keep it decatted or are you going to add cats? If you go without cats, the car may through errors (CEL) and the exhausted will smell. I did eventually add high flow cats to my mid pipe to get rid of the smell and to pass emissions too.
I would recommend to go with headers with cats similar to the OEM (both PPE and Novel offer this option-PPE just introduced it recently), which this option was not available when I purchased my PPE headers, thus you will avoid CELs and the smell.
Old 08-11-22, 07:11 PM
avion
Driver

@WaterFish Where can you purchase/view his exhausts? I thought he was a custom shop in Toronto?
Moos0004 (08-15-22)
Old 08-11-22, 07:15 PM
avion
Driver

Originally Posted by 1wacko
I have the PPE EL headers and a dual free flow complete exhaust replacement without valves. The car gets really loud and there is drone at low gears.
Another thing if you decide to go with headers, are you going to keep it decatted or are you going to add cats? If you go without cats, the car may through errors (CEL) and the exhausted will smell. I did eventually add high flow cats to my mid pipe to get rid of the smell and to pass emissions too.
I would recommend to go with headers with cats similar to the OEM (both PPE and Novel offer this option-PPE just introduced it recently), which this option was not available when I purchased my PPE headers, thus you will avoid CELs and the smell.
I was planning to run it without cats at first and see how I feel about the noise + smell. As for the catted PPE headers, I saw those and they seemed really promising, but RR Racing put out some results and the net gain was something like 9 whp, where as a cat in the midpipe or catless gained 20+ (from what I recall). When you added high flow cats, how much did that bring the noise level down? It seems more and more that drone is inevitable and just something I'll have to accept.
Old 08-11-22, 07:43 PM
1wacko
Intermediate

Received 183 Likes on 97 Posts

I was planning to run it without cats at first and see how I feel about the noise + smell. As for the catted PPE headers, I saw those and they seemed really promising, but RR Racing put out some results and the net gain was something like 9 whp, where as a cat in the midpipe or catless gained 20+ (from what I recall). When you added high flow cats, how much did that bring the noise level down? It seems more and more that drone is inevitable and just something I'll have to accept.
just a little, also it depends on the exhaust system you have. Some systems are less loud than others. I would recommend to go with a valved exhaust to avoid having a loud car all of the time if you are trying to avoid this.
avion (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 07:57 PM
avion
Driver

Originally Posted by 1wacko
just a little, also it depends on the exhaust system you have. Some systems are less loud than others. I would recommend to go with a valved exhaust to avoid having a loud car all of the time if you are trying to avoid this.
Yeah valved seems like the best option. Did some digging and found some RCF guy(s) ran PPE headers with the stock exhaust with no issue and still got a decent power gain (might be even better with an aftermarket mid pipe + no cats and the stock axleback). This maybe be the route I go until dropping another $3K+ on a good valved axleback is an option.

Thank you for your input, very much appreciated!
1wacko (08-11-22)
Old 08-15-22, 05:17 PM
Moos0004
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

@WaterFish Where can you purchase/view his exhausts? I thought he was a custom shop in Toronto?
@WaterFish I am also interested in this option
Ghicks99 (08-25-22)
Old 08-16-22, 04:41 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry for the late reply.

just send them an e-mail, I can send him a text message and will ask him too. Their exhaust is branded and I assume they would do shipping for their system. Cory is the owner's son if interested.

My system is with Cats and Resonators.

here is a video of it:

And another video of it on a racetrack:

The following 2 users liked this post by WaterFish:
1wacko (08-26-22), avion (08-17-22)
Old 08-26-22, 02:15 AM
Ghicks99
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I need my car to sound like this!!! Definitely need this. Mind to share what it cost? I’m currently just on a meisterschaft midpipe

Originally Posted by WaterFish
Sorry for the late reply.

just send them an e-mail, I can send him a text message and will ask him too. Their exhaust is branded and I assume they would do shipping for their system. Cory is the owner's son if interested.

My system is with Cats and Resonators.

here is a video of it:
https://youtu.be/4AniQWh9QiU

And another video of it on a racetrack:

https://youtu.be/cYzBuVACPkk
Old 08-26-22, 06:00 AM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Sikky headers, apexi mid pipe resonated, TOMs axle back. Zero drone at cruising speeds and then sounds nice and throaty with spirited driving!
The following 2 users liked this post by ping83:
1wacko (08-26-22), avion (08-26-22)
Old 08-26-22, 06:38 AM
avion
Driver

Originally Posted by ping83
Sikky headers, apexi mid pipe resonated, TOMs axle back. Zero drone at cruising speeds and then sounds nice and throaty with spirited driving!
Installed PPE UEL's this week, have an Apex'i resonated midpipe, and picking up a TOMs axleback tomorrow... seems like this will complete my hunt for an setup with no drone between 1-3k rpm and a good sound above 4k/WOT
The following 2 users liked this post by avion:
1wacko (08-26-22), Meraki Autoworks (08-26-22)
Old 08-26-22, 08:28 AM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Installed PPE UEL's this week, have an Apex'i resonated midpipe, and picking up a TOMs axleback tomorrow... seems like this will complete my hunt for an setup with no drone between 1-3k rpm and a good sound above 4k/WOT
Yep, should sound quality on both ends! Enjoy!
avion (08-26-22)