RR Racing SuperCharger / Tuning - All GSF model years now - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS F (2016-present)
RR Racing SuperCharger / Tuning - All GSF model years now >

RR Racing SuperCharger / Tuning - All GSF model years now

Notices
GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

RR Racing SuperCharger / Tuning - All GSF model years now

 
Old 03-08-19, 08:54 PM
  #1  
biggame
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
biggame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 562
Thanked 52 Times in 39 Posts
Default RR Racing SuperCharger / Tuning - All GSF model years now

Just spoke with Rafi @ RR Racing. They are now able to tune all GSF model years!

For those that want the extra horsepower should definitely give them a shout! I can say with experience you won't regret the upgrade!


https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...rcfscr1001.htm
biggame is offline  
Old 03-09-19, 01:07 AM
  #2  
designo
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
designo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 2,609
Thanked 46 Times in 44 Posts
Default

When you install yours, let us know please.
designo is offline  
Old 03-09-19, 03:13 AM
  #3  
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE
iTrader: (11)
 
plex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: <-IAD->
Posts: 12,876
Thanked 46 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Sounds delicious.
plex is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to plex For This Useful Post:
Htowncory (03-18-19)
Old 03-09-19, 11:13 AM
  #4  
biggame
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
biggame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 562
Thanked 52 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by designo View Post
When you install yours, let us know please.

Did already?..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-take-2-a.html
biggame is offline  
Old 03-10-19, 07:07 AM
  #5  
Lurker9
Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 157
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by biggame View Post
So tempted to sell the NSX to fund something similar to yours.
How is the GSF holding up?
Lurker9 is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 02:00 AM
  #6  
designo
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
designo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 2,609
Thanked 46 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by biggame View Post
Oh la la... yes sir, now I know who it is!
Great news.
designo is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 11:34 AM
  #7  
biggame
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
biggame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 562
Thanked 52 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lurker9 View Post
So tempted to sell the NSX to fund something similar to yours.
How is the GSF holding up?
Been over a year now. No issues whatsoever..,..
biggame is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 06:16 PM
  #8  
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
iTrader: (2)
 
lobuxracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,720
Thanked 668 Times in 479 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by biggame View Post
Been over a year now. No issues whatsoever..,..
Is it a DD or weekend ride? Ours gets lots of miles. 46k on the clock already.
lobuxracer is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 09:13 PM
  #9  
biggame
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
biggame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 562
Thanked 52 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lobuxracer View Post
Is it a DD or weekend ride? Ours gets lots of miles. 46k on the clock already.
Not a daily driver, but not a weekend car either. Some weeks 2 days, some 4. But It does get use. Not to mention solid track days
biggame is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 10:48 PM
  #10  
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
iTrader: (2)
 
lobuxracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,720
Thanked 668 Times in 479 Posts
Default

What kind of track days? Drag racing or road course?
lobuxracer is offline  
Old 03-12-19, 12:32 PM
  #11  
TrevorR
Pole Position
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: MD
Posts: 206
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Would love to supercharge my GSF but I wonder what the weak points are in this motor? Obviously reliability would be a concern. Then again, even built motors can have issues I suppose.

TrevorR is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 05:40 AM
  #12  
Lurker9
Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 157
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TrevorR View Post
Would love to supercharge my GSF but I wonder what the weak points are in this motor? Obviously reliability would be a concern. Then again, even built motors can have issues I suppose.

There is a rumor of an LCF. Hopefully it will have a the same V8 with some FI. That would tell us how good this engine is.
Lurker9 is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 08:32 AM
  #13  
TrevorR
Pole Position
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: MD
Posts: 206
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lurker9 View Post
There is a rumor of an LCF. Hopefully it will have a the same V8 with some FI. That would tell us how good this engine is.

Even if the rumors are true, that an LCF will have an FI motor, that motor will have internals that are designed with boost in mind.

Toyota makes great engines but letís use the Tundra as an example, several years ago they offered a TRD supercharger kit for the tundras and the kit wouldnít void the power train warranty as long as you purchased the kit and had it installed at a Toyota dealer. Well, quite a few truck owners found that their engines blew up and eventually Toyota no longer offered the kit, the kit availability lasted only a few years. Iím guessing that they had to replace quite a few engines under warranty which negated the profit from superchargers.

It could be that you had truck guys beating on their trucks because of them thinking the trucks engine is bulletproof, which it is. Or it couldíve been that the engine wasnít designed to handle boost long term. Speculation on my part though.

With regards to the GSF, I think only the crank being forged could handle the boost, but not sure the piston rings could handle the boost neither could the rods since it is cast. In the drag racing world, cast rods and pistons are a no go for boost applications. Again, Iím just speculating here.
TrevorR is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 02:25 PM
  #14  
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
iTrader: (2)
 
lobuxracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,720
Thanked 668 Times in 479 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TrevorR View Post



Even if the rumors are true, that an LCF will have an FI motor, that motor will have internals that are designed with boost in mind.

Toyota makes great engines but letís use the Tundra as an example, several years ago they offered a TRD supercharger kit for the tundras and the kit wouldnít void the power train warranty as long as you purchased the kit and had it installed at a Toyota dealer. Well, quite a few truck owners found that their engines blew up and eventually Toyota no longer offered the kit, the kit availability lasted only a few years. Iím guessing that they had to replace quite a few engines under warranty which negated the profit from superchargers.

It could be that you had truck guys beating on their trucks because of them thinking the trucks engine is bulletproof, which it is. Or it couldíve been that the engine wasnít designed to handle boost long term. Speculation on my part though.

With regards to the GSF, I think only the crank being forged could handle the boost, but not sure the piston rings could handle the boost neither could the rods since it is cast. In the drag racing world, cast rods and pistons are a no go for boost applications. Again, Iím just speculating here.
Toyota forge all their cranks and rods. Pistons are cast though. Didn't seem to be a problem with the 2JZ-GTE engines up to about 2.5x rated hp. That's the real question - did Lexus skimp on something, like they did on the 2JZ-GE rods in the IS300s? Those engines suffered under boost with the OEM rods. But all you needed to do was replace them with 2JZ-GTE rods and life was grand. Few are daily driving the 2UR in the IS, RC, or GS F models with superchargers to be able to say what the reliability is, or how it has changed with boost. The only thing that is certain is, it is not logical to expect the same service life from an NA engine that has been boosted compared to the same engine that has not.
lobuxracer is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lobuxracer For This Useful Post:
Autobacs (03-21-19), ISF4life (03-14-19)
Old 03-15-19, 11:06 PM
  #15  
designo
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
designo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 2,609
Thanked 46 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TrevorR View Post
Toyota makes great engines but let’s use the Tundra as an example, several years ago they offered a TRD supercharger kit for the tundras and the kit wouldn’t void the power train warranty as long as you purchased the kit and had it installed at a Toyota dealer. Well, quite a few truck owners found that their engines blew up and eventually Toyota no longer offered the kit, the kit availability lasted only a few years. I’m guessing that they had to replace quite a few engines under warranty which negated the profit from superchargers.
Yup, we experimented with that on my GS460. It was awesome..... for about an hour.
Then all hell broke loose!
designo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: