GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Thinking to buy GSF, few question for you all

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 07:16 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Indeed we are all salivating for that car...

And people wonder why my next car will be a Mclaren...
curious to know, would you give up on getting a McLaren if you knew Lexus would come out with a new ISF?
Old 02-21-19, 07:41 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1A1
Thanks for the feedback. I am in the market for either an IS-F or GS-F. I like the GS-F because of the newer interior and more room, but it is a lot heavier too, which hurts performance. The seats in the GS-F are also much more comfortable if you ask me. I have a 535i Sport now, which is slightly more roomy and has better seats that the IS-F, but man oh man has it been unreliable. I bought it with 54K miles on it and don't even want to add up how much I have spent fixing stuff and it's left me stranded 3 times.....ugh. I had an LS430 before this and wanted something more sporty....should have bought the IS-F or held out for the GS-F.

Steve

i wouldn’t worry too much about the extra weight hurting performance. The pics below are motortrend test results from a 16 GSF(top) and a 12 ISF(bottom)

As far as the op wondering about going from turbo to na v8 I did and I don’t regret it. My last car was around 400hp/410tq awd turbo. I do miss the low end pull and the instant acceleration from a stop. What I love about the gsf that I didn’t have before was that sexy v8 growl and the sound/feeling of bringing it up to redline. There’s really nothing like it and maybe nothing ever again in a few years as na v8s get phased out in favor of turbos...

Old 02-21-19, 07:54 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500

i wouldn’t worry too much about the extra weight hurting performance. The pics below are motortrend test results from a 16 GSF(top) and a 12 ISF(bottom)

As far as the op wondering about going from turbo to na v8 I did and I don’t regret it. My last car was around 400hp/410tq awd turbo. I do miss the low end pull and the instant acceleration from a stop. What I love about the gsf that I didn’t have before was that sexy v8 growl and the sound/feeling of bringing it up to redline. There’s really nothing like it and maybe nothing ever again in a few years as na v8s get phased out in favor of turbos...

Comparable numbers that's for sure, but it took the GSF 50 more HP to match the numbers of the GSF. However, its impressive that the GSF (according to the numbers) handles just as well as the ISF despite being heavier.
Old 02-21-19, 11:05 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

estimated combined mpg is 19 but real says its 23??? who experiences this??
Old 02-21-19, 11:48 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
estimated combined mpg is 19 but real says its 23??? who experiences this??
I experience 16 although I never use Eco mode
Old 02-21-19, 02:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR

curious to know, would you give up on getting a McLaren if you knew Lexus would come out with a new ISF?
No. I won't be replacing the IS F, I'll be replacing the Supra. The IS F is getting some work done to make it more focused on what I want, but in the end, the Mclaren is vastly better at everything I want it to do except cart the kids around.
Old 02-21-19, 05:36 PM
m335
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR

i haven’t driven the ISF and have the GSF.

I look at the ISF in pictures and I’ve seen a few in person, I just think the GSF looks better and has a much better interior. Highly subjective of course.

However, I have not taken my GSF to the track yet. So perhaps the weight difference does matter in high performance driving but it shouldn’t with daily drivers which is perhaps the reason why Lexus opted for the GS instead of IS?

I agree, GS F seem better daily and practical for family. I have one question for GS F owners, i was reading other threads and someone mentioned that TVD broke on few cars and it costs 10k+ to repair..Is this big issue with this car? i will be too scared to drive it hard if there is even remote possibility of 10K+ repair.
Old 02-21-19, 08:12 PM
embassured
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A pretty good split between city and highway and my experience, according to the car's calculation, is 21.6. That said, I'm not heavy on the throttle except for periodic stabs of the throttle. I have yet to have a long highway run on a full tank of gas.
Old 02-21-19, 08:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by m335
I agree, GS F seem better daily and practical for family. I have one question for GS F owners, i was reading other threads and someone mentioned that TVD broke on few cars and it costs 10k+ to repair..Is this big issue with this car? i will be too scared to drive it hard if there is even remote possibility of 10K+ repair.
There is a 70k mile drivetrain warranty from Lexus before considering an extended warranty. If anyone paid for a fix, they weren't paying attention. I am on the GS F forum here all the time. I have not seen a thread with a member saying the TVD has failed. We've talked about what if, but no member has had this happen.
Old 02-22-19, 08:31 PM
m335
Rookie

There is a 70k mile drivetrain warranty from Lexus before considering an extended warranty. If anyone paid for a fix, they weren't paying attention. I am on the GS F forum here all the time. I have not seen a thread with a member saying the TVD has failed. We've talked about what if, but no member has had this happen.
thanks! I am pretty sure someone mentioned about failed one. But glad to know it's not common problem.
Old 02-23-19, 07:26 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 304 Likes on 209 Posts

No. I won't be replacing the IS F, I'll be replacing the Supra. The IS F is getting some work done to make it more focused on what I want, but in the end, the Mclaren is vastly better at everything I want it to do except cart the kids around.
Keep the Supra. It will be worth more than the McLaren in a few years. Those things depreciate terribly and repairs costs are ridiculous.

Steve K.
Old 02-24-19, 06:22 PM
m335
Rookie

Can some of you GSF owners chime in about maintenance requirements and reliability of this car?
I have highlander hybrid, only thing I worry there is chaning oil, filter, tires, fluids etc
also got BMW and I keep watching for misfires, plugs, coils, injectors, pump etc ..you get the point. I would appreciate information along those lines for GSF.
Old 02-24-19, 07:58 PM
shu5892001
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Brake rotor and pads are considerably more expensive than other Toyota’s but cheaper than M or Amgs. Other than that it’s just basic fluid change, it does use a lot of oil as it’s a big V8 compare to the V6 in highlander.

This drivetrain is pretty bullet proof, many ISF are over 200k miles.

Originally Posted by m335
Can some of you GSF owners chime in about maintenance requirements and reliability of this car?
I have highlander hybrid, only thing I worry there is chaning oil, filter, tires, fluids etc
also got BMW and I keep watching for misfires, plugs, coils, injectors, pump etc ..you get the point. I would appreciate information along those lines for GSF.
Old 02-24-19, 08:35 PM
m335
Rookie

Originally Posted by shu5892001
Brake rotor and pads are considerably more expensive than other Toyota’s but cheaper than M or Amgs. Other than that it’s just basic fluid change, it does use a lot of oil as it’s a big V8 compare to the V6 in highlander.

This drivetrain is pretty bullet proof, many ISF are over 200k miles.

appreciate your response! This is direct and port injected engine. Is there change interval for plugs/coils/injectors etc? Are those considered wearable on Gsf?
Old 02-24-19, 09:04 PM
embassured
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

With the last ride being a Merc CLS550 - the 4.7 TT, the GSF is absolutely boring relative to repairs, costs, and concerns regarding durability. I had a GS400 from way back and then went on to multiple Jag S-Type Rs and CTS-Vs. I am enjoying the drama free relationship with Lexus/Toyota.

Quick Reply: Thinking to buy GSF, few question for you all