GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Thinking to buy GSF, few question for you all

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 07:24 PM
m335
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thinking to buy GSF, few question for you all

Coming out of N54 BMW 335i modded with about ~400 at crank. I was looking around it seems that Lexus says GSF 0-60 is 4.5, wanted to check what is your experience coming from low 4 sec cars turbo cars, any remorse?
Also Q50 redsport seem to match or exceed GSF time, anyone cross shopped? any feedback would be great!
reliability, performance and quality of build are main priority for me this time, spend my share of issues with bimmer

thanks!
Old 02-18-19, 07:54 PM
embassured
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What you give up in "nth" degree of, pushing the envelop, modified performance will be compensated by build quality, craftsmanship, and durability. If that remotely sounds like an unfavorable compromise - the GSF will be disappointing.

Regarding turbo power vs NA, you'll miss the broad power band, the initial thrust of torque and will instead only find power from 4,000 to redline. The throttle work is it's own reward. If you ever enjoyed the e92 M3 or e39 M5, you'll thoroughly enjoy the GSF. It's not even remotely close to being the fastest kid on the block but, overall, it's a very difficult package to beat.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-19, 09:15 PM
ludecrashr
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I just got my GSF a few weeks ago, coming from a CLA45 AMG, I had mine at 380hp atcthe wheels, and although I do miss the pull of the turbo, I wanted a reliable car I can keep a long time, and the instant response to the throttle is amazing compared to my 45. No remorse here. By the time I’m done with this car I won’t miss my AMG.
Old 02-18-19, 09:35 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ludecrashr
I just got my GSF a few weeks ago, coming from a CLA45 AMG, I had mine at 380hp atcthe wheels, and although I do miss the pull of the turbo, I wanted a reliable car I can keep a long time, and the instant response to the throttle is amazing compared to my 45. No remorse here. By the time I’m done with this car I won’t miss my AMG.
did you ever have any issues with your reliability on your gla? I met a kid the other say with a cla45 and he had to have his entire engine replaced under warranty, no modifications
Old 02-18-19, 09:41 PM
ludecrashr
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cptnslo
did you ever have any issues with your reliability on your gla? I met a kid the other say with a cla45 and he had to have his entire engine replaced under warranty, no modifications
not one issue whatsoever. But I did hear horror stories about that, so I went to get extended warranty and they wanted $9K for three years! I was like no thank you time to switch it up. They extended my warranty for the GSF for $1600 for 3 extra years! I’m covered till 2025 unlimited miles!
Old 02-19-19, 07:55 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

My wife drives the Audi TTs 2016 and it has 300hp turbo. I would take the GSF N/A V8 over the turbo anyday. For reg city drive the turbo has more boost on the street, but the V8 and sound is unbeatable. It depends if you are a turbo or a N/A person.
Old 02-19-19, 10:45 AM
shu5892001
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Not a direct comparison to the Q50 red. Q50 red is just a regular sport sedan with a huge engine unless they make a Q50 Nismo. The GS-F although may have lower hp but matches M and AMG in everything else such as chassis, suspension, feel, handling and etc.
Old 02-19-19, 09:18 PM
m335
Rookie

thanks everyone! this is great information! Until recently I preferred twin turbo setup that everyone is going for these days. But i think i am grown over it and Lexus V8 really seems good balance of power and reliability. I think engine is barely used to mid range with 467hp which should help.
btw, read article that lexus might replace V8 with new twin turbo setup in future IS-F and probably all F models ...is that for real ? cant really say about reliability of those engines
Old 02-20-19, 08:39 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by m335
thanks everyone! this is great information! Until recently I preferred twin turbo setup that everyone is going for these days. But i think i am grown over it and Lexus V8 really seems good balance of power and reliability. I think engine is barely used to mid range with 467hp which should help.
btw, read article that lexus might replace V8 with new twin turbo setup in future IS-F and probably all F models ...is that for real ? cant really say about reliability of those engines
That's where the market is going. BMW is having a heck of a time selling cars with the B58 turbo (not twin turbo, but a single twin scroll turbo). They have a contract with that engine manufacturer and are way behind in meeting their quota. They are teaming up with Toyota on the new Supra (it should not be called a Supra!) and will also team up with Toyota for the Lexus IS series as well. This will be the base engine for the mid-level IS. The ISF will have a TT V6 like the LS500. In exchange for cheap engines, Toyota will share some of their Hybrid technology with BMW.

I am not sure if you have heard, but the EU has recently passed ridiculous smog laws that will basically cripple the European auto industry and force them to all go electric. This doesn't hurt the US or Japanese auto makes as much since they don't sell great over there, but it does hurt the European manufacturers.

That is why we are seeing these changes. Supposedly Toyota worked with BMW to make these engines more reliable. Only time will tell.

One last thing-the GS-F could be the last of the high-revving V8s.

Steve
Old 02-20-19, 06:52 PM
m335
Rookie

exactly, as lexus starts to use more BMW engines one should wonder if reliability of those BMW models using same engines are gone up or lexus is gone down ..lol
Do you guys know what would be last model year for GS-F?
Compared ISF engine in GSF/RCF seems way ahead not sure why ISF folks still brag about and why I see too many videos of ISF racing BMWs and few for newer F models...did lexus take away something when they updated that engine?
Old 02-20-19, 09:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

exactly, as lexus starts to use more BMW engines one should wonder if reliability of those BMW models using same engines are gone up or lexus is gone down ..lol
Do you guys know what would be last model year for GS-F?
Compared ISF engine in GSF/RCF seems way ahead not sure why ISF folks still brag about and why I see too many videos of ISF racing BMWs and few for newer F models...did lexus take away something when they updated that engine?
No. They added almost 175 kg to both the RC F and the GS F compared to the IS F.

I have an IS F and a GS F. The IS F is more fun to drive mostly because it is a lot lighter than the GS F.
Old 02-20-19, 10:21 PM
m335
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No. They added almost 175 kg to both the RC F and the GS F compared to the IS F.

I have an IS F and a GS F. The IS F is more fun to drive mostly because it is a lot lighter than the GS F.
thanks for sharing your experience!
Weight is not a big problem if accompanied by power, m5 is super heavy will nimble. What surprises me most is newer powerful engine + TVD and still new F models can not match ISF. Given all these opinions I really really want to buy that ISF but I just can't see myself driving that interior..i wish lexus can build new one with 3.5k lbs, 5l V8 and new LC interior style..that would be a steal at 70k..
Old 02-20-19, 11:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

thanks for sharing your experience!
Weight is not a big problem if accompanied by power, m5 is super heavy will nimble. What surprises me most is newer powerful engine + TVD and still new F models can not match ISF. Given all these opinions I really really want to buy that ISF but I just can't see myself driving that interior..i wish lexus can build new one with 3.5k lbs, 5l V8 and new LC interior style..that would be a steal at 70k..
Indeed we are all salivating for that car...

And people wonder why my next car will be a Mclaren...
Old 02-21-19, 07:01 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Thanks for the feedback. I am in the market for either an IS-F or GS-F. I like the GS-F because of the newer interior and more room, but it is a lot heavier too, which hurts performance. The seats in the GS-F are also much more comfortable if you ask me. I have a 535i Sport now, which is slightly more roomy and has better seats that the IS-F, but man oh man has it been unreliable. I bought it with 54K miles on it and don't even want to add up how much I have spent fixing stuff and it's left me stranded 3 times.....ugh. I had an LS430 before this and wanted something more sporty....should have bought the IS-F or held out for the GS-F.

Steve
Old 02-21-19, 07:14 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 1A1
Thanks for the feedback. I am in the market for either an IS-F or GS-F. I like the GS-F because of the newer interior and more room, but it is a lot heavier too, which hurts performance. The seats in the GS-F are also much more comfortable if you ask me. I have a 535i Sport now, which is slightly more roomy and has better seats that the IS-F, but man oh man has it been unreliable. I bought it with 54K miles on it and don't even want to add up how much I have spent fixing stuff and it's left me stranded 3 times.....ugh. I had an LS430 before this and wanted something more sporty....should have bought the IS-F or held out for the GS-F.

Steve

i haven’t driven the ISF and have the GSF.

I look at the ISF in pictures and I’ve seen a few in person, I just think the GSF looks better and has a much better interior. Highly subjective of course.

However, I have not taken my GSF to the track yet. So perhaps the weight difference does matter in high performance driving but it shouldn’t with daily drivers which is perhaps the reason why Lexus opted for the GS instead of IS?

Quick Reply: Thinking to buy GSF, few question for you all