GSF - Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 10:40 AM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question GSF - Brake Pads

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?ckout=1&isajax=yes

I am looking for front brake pads to replace the oem very soon. There are few available pads and wire sensor under rockauto site at a good price. HaS anyone used centric brake pads ? is this good enough for daily commuting compare to oem pads ? Let me know if you have any suggestion for other brands to buy.
Thanks.

Last edited by ISF350; 01-31-19 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 08:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF350

I am looking for front brake pads to replace the oem very soon. There are few available pads and wire sensor under rockauto site at a good price. HaS anyone used centric brake pads ? is this good enough for daily commuting compare to oem pads ? Let me know if you have any suggestion for other brands to buy.
Thanks.
I bought those pads but have not installed them. Centric/Stoptech make reasonable gear, some of it for a daily driver, some of it for track use. Centric tends to be daily driver. I would love to tell you how they work, but they have not been installed yet, and won't be for some time as another member sold me his take-offs from replacing the rotors with two piece units and more track oriented pads. That said, they are semi-metallic and rated FE which isn't all bad. My preference is always FF or GG because pads with these codes exhibit more uniform bite across the normal temperature range. But for a daily driver, FE will work fine, and that's what our GS F is - the wife's daily driver. If I put these in and hate them, I'll post up about it, but I doubt that will happen.

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/vid...on-brake-pads/
Old 02-07-19, 01:37 PM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks.
I went in on Tuesday to Lexus and told them that my brakes have been squeaking quite a bit and brought up the TSB for the brake issue on our car. 24 hours later...New brakes all around!!! Might not be the particular brand that you're looking for but you really can't beat the price! haha I was impressed with how they hardly questioned anything, especially with having just over 20,000 miles on the car.
Old 02-07-19, 05:49 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MRonan83
I went in on Tuesday to Lexus and told them that my brakes have been squeaking quite a bit and brought up the TSB for the brake issue on our car. 24 hours later...New brakes all around!!! Might not be the particular brand that you're looking for but you really can't beat the price! haha I was impressed with how they hardly questioned anything, especially with having just over 20,000 miles on the car.
I had those TSB pads for a month, stopping distance was significantly degraded over OE Brembo (noisy/dusty). Put Toms and never looked back.
Old 02-07-19, 06:32 PM
MRonan83
Driver

Originally Posted by texaslexii
I had those TSB pads for a month, stopping distance was significantly degraded over OE Brembo (noisy/dusty). Put Toms and never looked back.
For sure. Peddle feel is not as good and stopping distance might not be as good. My daily routine is to daycare, work, daycare and back home though. So it works for me but not for a weekend warrior/garage queen.
Old 02-08-19, 10:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Pads don't change stopping distance. Only feel. If you want to change stopping distance you need better tires. Physics doesn't lie.
Old 02-08-19, 10:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^Not on the first stop. But they do on subsequent stops - fade.

Lou
Old 02-08-19, 11:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Not on the first stop. But they do on subsequent stops - fade.

Lou
Agreed, but if you're using your pads to the fade point, you're not going for the bargain units at all. It's actually pretty challenging to fade these brakes on the street.
Old 02-08-19, 09:34 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm running the TSB pads and have been pretty happy with them... Doesn't have the initial bite the original ones had, but stop just fine when you hammer down on the pedal. No noise and less dust. They fit my needs and use of the car...
Old 02-09-19, 08:25 AM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
I'm running the TSB pads and have been pretty happy with them... Doesn't have the initial bite the original ones had, but stop just fine when you hammer down on the pedal. No noise and less dust. They fit my needs and use of the car...
Ditto. My exact same experience.
Old 02-13-19, 06:32 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by MRonan83
I have noticed the brake pads squeak many times. Where can I find the TSB for brake ? I need to print it out and bring it to the dealer. I have the low brake pad waring light come on for couple weeks now.
Old 02-13-19, 07:02 PM
MRonan83
Driver

I have noticed the brake pads squeak many times. Where can I find the TSB for brake ? I need to print it out and bring it to the dealer. I have the low brake pad waring light come on for couple weeks now.
It is in their system. If you tell them that you have always had the issue then most will take your word for it. Having the light on might be your only challenge.
Old 02-16-19, 03:59 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I’m running Project Mu Type NS #F150. They squealed a bit and had some dust at first but once properly bedded in they got better. Pedal feel was similar. Overall much better than the dusty Brembos.
Old 04-07-19, 05:44 AM
Artemis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cheap and good solution

Ebc Yellowstuff
When I did my Gs-f inspection (10k miles) guys from lexus told me I have to replace brake pads. They proposed a bargain price of around 800$! My pads where close to sensors and they should be done in 1k miles. I am using ebc brakes for many years and I found (in Europe) for 170$!!! Pads for my Gs-f. For Us https://perfectbrakes.com/automotive...2016-/19007318
They are great better than OE. I choose the Yellowstuff line. Please note they do not come with sensors. So if you are fast enough and save Your sensors You will save few $.Hope will help everybody for better performance Greetings from Poland
P.s will do some photos later look great with my orange callipers

Last edited by Artemis; 04-07-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 03:28 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Thanks.
^ update: I did this last weekend. Ordered the centric front pads with sensor from rockauto. For daily drive, so far so good to me lol

Last edited by ISF350; 05-02-19 at 05:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RC51TOFUMA (05-03-19)

Quick Reply: GSF - Brake Pads