GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Spare tire existence proof

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 11:52 AM
MasterWork
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Spare tire existence proof

We somehow got the short end of the stick with the US spec GSF, Lexus in the states does not list nor have any part number for a spare for us. This video is a review of a GSF in Russia which has a legitimate full size spare in the trunk with an F badged cover. It was not added by the owner and is how the car came.

Skip to 17:26 for reference.

Does anyone know if there is any way to obtain this? I hate having to rely on some stupid little pump with goo that essentially will do nothing, but cause more of a headache if the need arises to use it.

Old 12-10-18, 12:16 PM
MasterWork
Rookie

Please lock the thread, I just found the Lexus spare for our cars

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...del=&Filter=()
The following users liked this post:
1BlinkGone (12-12-18)
Old 12-10-18, 12:37 PM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterWork
Please lock the thread, I just found the Lexus spare for our cars

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...del=&Filter=()
Is that the price $1163 for a spare?
Old 12-10-18, 01:17 PM
MasterWork
Rookie

Originally Posted by SilvaIS350

Is that the price $1163 for a spare?
Yes.....yes it is, might as well get a fancy new rim and nice tire to just lug around.
SilvaIS350 (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 04:26 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

That is ugly and renders the trunk pretty damn useless.
Old 12-10-18, 04:55 PM
MasterWork
Rookie

Originally Posted by Randy B
That is ugly and renders the trunk pretty damn useless.
It is quite excessive in size, but I would take a full size spare over relying strictly on that sketchy compressor with elmers glue any day of the week.

Looks wise, who cares how ugly it is unless you drive around with your trunk open haha.

The price is absolutely absurd though, but for a long trip I would sacrifice the trunk space just to have peace of mind; I have no problem throwing a duffle in the back seat, after having to daily an E36 M3 track car with a half cage for over a year, you learn to make do with the space you have.
Old 12-11-18, 12:50 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Too bad you live so far away. I have a spare and trunk mat to go with it which I removed.
The spare in the trunk is the worse thing I have sen in any car, what a waste of space it was!

By the way, the spare is not a full size spare, it is a transport tire.
Check out my videos!

MasterWork (12-11-18)
Old 12-11-18, 06:31 AM
MasterWork
Rookie

Originally Posted by designo
Too bad you live so far away. I have a spare and trunk mat to go with it which I removed.
The spare in the trunk is the worse thing I have sen in any car, what a waste of space it was!

Check out my videos!

Ugh I wouldve gladly bought it from you!

Lets not ignore the fact that your trunk fully opens on its own? and whats the story with the rear seat radio and climate controls? We don't have any of that!
Old 12-11-18, 08:24 AM
bklszl
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

We in the EU got the rear center console, auto trunk and rear window shades, heated steering wheel, and fortunately no spare tire in the trunk. I also agree with those who think it's a waste of space, althrough I got a flat tire this summer and I tried to mess with that little compressor with no success.. I had to call a trailer, some dudes witnessed in the trailer thing in an old BMW and they were laughing like "look a Lexus on trailer, what a messed up world we live in" lol
Old 12-11-18, 08:51 AM
MasterWork
Rookie

Originally Posted by bklszl
We in the EU got the rear center console, auto trunk and rear window shades, heated steering wheel, and fortunately no spare tire in the trunk. I also agree with those who think it's a waste of space, althrough I got a flat tire this summer and I tried to mess with that little compressor with no success.. I had to call a trailer, some dudes witnessed in the trailer thing in an old BMW and they were laughing like "look a Lexus on trailer, what a messed up world we live in" lol
Let me make sure I understand properly; you agree that its a waste of space, but you got a flat tire, tried to use the factory fix a flat compressor and failed, had to call a trailer for something little like a flat tire. Yet its still a waste a space? You're right, what a world we live in.
Old 12-11-18, 10:04 AM
bklszl
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterWork
Let me make sure I understand properly; you agree that its a waste of space, but you got a flat tire, tried to use the factory fix a flat compressor and failed, had to call a trailer for something little like a flat tire. Yet its still a waste a space? You're right, what a world we live in.
Unfortunately I drove over a knife, that was on the road and my rear right tire was destroyed, so - to save my rim - I called a trailer to take my car to the tire shop. This (the worst scenario) happened only once in the 10 year I am driving my own cars. Tell me how often will you use your trunk? Dialy.. I hope I am understandable now.. I am not praising the tire repair kit, it’s BS, but this huge spare tire, that takes away almost your whole trunk does not seems to be the solution for me, that was my point

Last edited by bklszl; 12-11-18 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 10:40 AM
MasterWork
Rookie

Originally Posted by bklszl

Unfortunately I drove over a knife, that was on the road and my rear right tire was destroyed, so - to save my rim - I called a trailer to take my car to the tire shop. This (the worst scenario) happened only once in the 10 year I am driving my own cars. Tell me how often will you use your trunk? Dialy.. I hope I am understandable now.. I am not praising the tire repair kit, it’s BS, but this huge spare tire, that takes away almost your whole trunk does not seems to be the solution for me, that was my point
I understand, everyone has their own perspective and uses for their personal vehicles. I actually don't use much space in the trunk at all, I have a small tool bag / kobalt tire inflator / 16oz bottle of Adams waterless wash / 16oz bottle of Adams odor eliminator / few microfibers.

Living in Brooklyn, NY we don't have the best of roads and our potholes are like moon craters. On my previous cars I have had blowouts and punctures from road conditions here, but they all had a spare which saved me.

At my current situation it wouldn't hinder me in the least bit having the spare in there, I just wish it was at least an option here in NA to have it or not. I am extremely grateful that they didn't put runflats on the car as the OEM tire.

It isn't something that will happen often, but I would much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old 12-31-18, 07:42 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

Forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question but why can't you guys get one of these in the US? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201563783315

I have the 350 and it sits flash under the floor, no hump like the full sizer.
Old 01-01-19, 09:10 AM
johnnyb58
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by designo

Check out my videos!
Hello, Im currently running a donut as my spare in my trunk, but im looking for solution to put it under the carpet map. But the US TVD in bolted in the space where i need to place it. Where is the TVD unit located in your trunk?

Thanks!

Old 01-25-19, 12:57 PM
Lexus125th
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys best thing to do and save money and weight is go onto discount tire direct and order a wheel and tire. They have wheels that range for about 200$ and weigh 21 lbs, when going on long trip put it in the trunk and call it a day

Quick Reply: Spare tire existence proof