GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GSF Brake life before servicing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-18, 07:49 PM
AtomicGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I find the OEM brakes to be very robust and responsive. So much so that I'm willing to deal with the brake dust and squeal.
The following 2 users liked this post by AtomicGSF:
lobuxracer (12-02-18), RC51TOFUMA (12-02-18)
Old 12-02-18, 09:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Not trying to sound harsh, but it really seems some folks didn't get the full story on what they were buying when they bought an F car. The brakes are very good, but they're not racing pads. I run full race pads in my IS F and I guarantee you, the pads in the GS F don't have anywhere near the initial bite the brakes in my IS F have. That said, on an easy track (not hard on brakes), the OEM pads will allow a novice driver to successfully complete a track weekend without having to resort to a full race compound. The OEM pads are NOT race pads. Let that sink in. The OEM pads are NOT race pads. They're a really good compromise between a track pad and a street pad, just like the OEM pads the IS F uses. With the stability controls on, I guarantee you an aggressive driver will cook these pads at a track day, AMHIK. Lexus does a really good job with this. Unfortunately, some owners are expecting the same kind of Lexus you get when you buy an LS, or a GS that is NOT an F car. It's the same with the suspension.
"The '16 is too stiff, not a Lexus ride at all" and guess what? It isn't. But it is a decent setup for a track day newbie. So if you find yourself unhappy with the suspension, or the brakes are too dusty, maybe, just maybe, you should have dug a little deeper before buying this model over a GS without the 5.0 liter V-8.

From my perspective, these are minor annoyances for the vast performance difference the F cars offer. They should NOT be like "Lexus" at all.
The following users liked this post:
AtomicGSF (12-14-18)
Old 12-04-18, 12:32 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Just saw this on the fb page, found it quite useful, and thought I would repost it here
Old 12-06-18, 12:40 PM
mercsmoker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mercsmoker
is it normal for Lexus/ GS F to have break pedal go all the way down (almost) in order for break to be effectively applied? I just test drove/ made deal and bought one...everything was well except i was surprised how far i have to press in order to get car break worked fully.
Per dealer, it's normal and 'lexus' thing which i am not buying......car got brand new tires/ rotors/break and LCERT with 30k service done.
I'm coming from break experience on BMW's and never owned LXS before so thought of checking here (if there's anything I should have service dept looked at???)
I had it checked at delaer and apparently when new breaks/rotor was placed by lexus dealer (whom I bought from), their technician didn't seated the clips/ spring appropriately so they were making noise at low/low cruise speed as well as break pedal was not consistent when pressure applied; they have 'reseated' all 4 wheels and all noise/ issue gone..i'll drive around and see if this was indeed the issue
Old 12-07-18, 11:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by mercsmoker
I had it checked at delaer and apparently when new breaks/rotor was placed by lexus dealer (whom I bought from), their technician didn't seated the clips/ spring appropriately so they were making noise at low/low cruise speed as well as break pedal was not consistent when pressure applied; they have 'reseated' all 4 wheels and all noise/ issue gone..i'll drive around and see if this was indeed the issue
That sounds like BS. Your SA was not telling you the truth.
Old 12-10-18, 08:17 AM
TARS
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not trying to sound harsh, but it really seems some folks didn't get the full story on what they were buying when they bought an F car. The brakes are very good, but they're not racing pads. I run full race pads in my IS F and I guarantee you, the pads in the GS F don't have anywhere near the initial bite the brakes in my IS F have. That said, on an easy track (not hard on brakes), the OEM pads will allow a novice driver to successfully complete a track weekend without having to resort to a full race compound. The OEM pads are NOT race pads. Let that sink in. The OEM pads are NOT race pads. They're a really good compromise between a track pad and a street pad, just like the OEM pads the IS F uses. With the stability controls on, I guarantee you an aggressive driver will cook these pads at a track day, AMHIK. Lexus does a really good job with this. Unfortunately, some owners are expecting the same kind of Lexus you get when you buy an LS, or a GS that is NOT an F car. It's the same with the suspension.
"The '16 is too stiff, not a Lexus ride at all" and guess what? It isn't. But it is a decent setup for a track day newbie. So if you find yourself unhappy with the suspension, or the brakes are too dusty, maybe, just maybe, you should have dug a little deeper before buying this model over a GS without the 5.0 liter V-8.

From my perspective, these are minor annoyances for the vast performance difference the F cars offer. They should NOT be like "Lexus" at all.
Wao! Have been away and missing some really good threads. I could not agree more with the above!
Old 12-12-18, 09:01 AM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

I replaced the OE pads with Toms and I have the same grip/bite, and none of the dust or noise. Brembo can (and do) make good stuff, but they also make cheap stuff, like every other OEM. I had OE Brembo's on my saab 9-3 (same system that the cobalt SS had) and it was absolute garbage (despite being 4 piston calipers, etc). The brakes on the GSF are awesome once you do the Tom's pads.

As far as suspension, the AVS on 17s+ is awesome, its just the fixed dampers on the 16s that ride hard. There's always room for improvement. Even with a $350k Ferrari.
Old 12-12-18, 09:12 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Brembo does not make pads, they make calipers. Any pad marked Brembo is not made by Brembo, but by another company and packaged in a Brembo box. Personally I'm running Ferodo DS2500 front and PM 800+ in back. Awesome IMHO.

Lou
Old 12-12-18, 10:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

replacing rotors when doing pads is the new dealer scam. Pretty pathetic
Old 12-12-18, 11:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
replacing rotors when doing pads is the new dealer scam. Pretty pathetic
Nothing new there. Lots of posts from IS350 and IS F owners about dealers telling them they need to replace pads and rotors. But I can tell you for sure, the GS F rotors are not nearly as long lived as the IS F rotors.
Old 12-13-18, 10:57 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

I saw a bullets garage vid where he replaced pads and used a little grinder across the rotor surface to somewhat resurface it. I’ve never seen this done before. Is that a good procedure to do?
Old 12-13-18, 12:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Nope!

Lou
Old 12-13-18, 01:03 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500
I saw a bullets garage vid where he replaced pads and used a little grinder across the rotor surface to somewhat resurface it. I’ve never seen this done before. Is that a good procedure to do?
Wow.......

Edit: He posts quite a bit of videos but eventually found said video, doesn't seem that he grinded the rotor surface, just the part where wheels contact the rotors and around the edges where surface rust typically exists. Still don't think its the best idea though.

Last edited by TrevorR; 12-13-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 11:25 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Wow.......

Edit: He posts quite a bit of videos but eventually found said video, doesn't seem that he grinded the rotor surface, just the part where wheels contact the rotors and around the edges where surface rust typically exists. Still don't think its the best idea though.
Yea after that,at about 16:55 of his video he spends over a minute grinding on the actual rotor surface. I understand the theory behind doing this but was just unsure if it was a good idea
Old 12-14-18, 12:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Removing corrosion from the hub face is common in the rust belt. If you don't the rotor won't run true with the hub and that can be really bad. Grinding on the rotor's contact surface might be OK if you use garnet, but anything else isn't a good idea. Silica based abrasives create LOTS of issues with braking surfaces. I definitely wouldn't do that. Some guys randomize the rotor surface after turning with a garnet pad to help remove the spiralized cut from the rotor faces. This is actually a pretty good idea if you want to waste some rotor metal by turning them.

Quick Reply: GSF Brake life before servicing