GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GSF Brake life before servicing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 01:57 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up GSF Brake life before servicing

On Average How many miles are GSF owners getting on the brakes prior to getting them serviced?

thanks in advance
Old 11-20-18, 01:59 PM
frugaldiva
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was able to get about 30k.
The following users liked this post:
RC51TOFUMA (11-20-18)
Old 11-21-18, 08:22 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

It really depends on the driver and the type of driving done on the vehicle. What one owner gets will be entirely different than another.

Lou
Old 11-21-18, 09:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Exactly what do you mean by serviced? Pad replacement?
Old 11-24-18, 09:51 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Exactly what do you mean by serviced? Pad replacement?
Yes Pad Replacement
Old 11-24-18, 01:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The wife's GS F got about 30k before the front pads were toast according to the wear indicator light. In reality, there was 2mm of pad left, and factory minimum spec is 1mm, so there's approximately 10% service life left if you swap when the light comes on meaning in all likelihood it could have gone 33k before being at actual minimum spec. I suspect they do this so if the rotor is a minimum thickness, there will be at least a 1mm lip on the edge of the rotor which could cause backing plate to rotor contact before reaching minimum pad thickness. If the wear indicator turns on with 2mm of pad left, this will never happen, and given Lexus attorney's ridiculously conservative standards, I am pretty confident they intentionally chose this option. I run my first set of pads until the light comes on, and the second set of pads until the backing plate touches because I will be replacing the rotors anyway, who cares if they get a little scarred?
Old 11-26-18, 04:35 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

The wife's GS F got about 30k before the front pads were toast according to the wear indicator light. In reality, there was 2mm of pad left, and factory minimum spec is 1mm, so there's approximately 10% service life left if you swap when the light comes on meaning in all likelihood it could have gone 33k before being at actual minimum spec. I suspect they do this so if the rotor is a minimum thickness, there will be at least a 1mm lip on the edge of the rotor which could cause backing plate to rotor contact before reaching minimum pad thickness. If the wear indicator turns on with 2mm of pad left, this will never happen, and given Lexus attorney's ridiculously conservative standards, I am pretty confident they intentionally chose this option. I run my first set of pads until the light comes on, and the second set of pads until the backing plate touches because I will be replacing the rotors anyway, who cares if they get a little scarred?
Lobuxracer. Thankyou....!!! reply appreciated.....
good info to know
Old 11-29-18, 09:55 AM
MrFuso
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What pads are you guys going with stockers or something else? The brake dust is insane with the stock pads. I'd like to try something different at some point. I will not be tracking my car any time soon, I drive it hard here and there, but don't need any kind of race compound...
Old 11-29-18, 10:10 AM
frugaldiva
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went with the OEM's to make life easier for me.
RC51TOFUMA (11-29-18)
Old 11-29-18, 12:24 PM
MrFuso
Rookie

Here is what my buddy can get... This is OEM stock.
JColeGSF (06-09-20)
Old 11-29-18, 01:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You don't need all that stuff. Just the pad kit. The fronts will wear out long before the rears, so there's no need to replace both axles at once. Those are definitely employee prices. We can get close to that with online Lexus dealers, but not that low.

You can easily clean and reuse the shims and fitting parts. I have 160k on my IS and I am on my second set of shims and fitting parts. No need to swap those out at all.

You also won't need rotors until you wear through your second set of pads. The wife's car has 40k miles on it now and is still on the original rotors and everything rear brake. I have only bought the pad set for the front and replaced those pads at about 30k miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
AtomicGSF (12-02-18), RC51TOFUMA (11-30-18)
Old 11-29-18, 04:38 PM
MrFuso
Rookie

You don't need all that stuff. Just the pad kit. The fronts will wear out long before the rears, so there's no need to replace both axles at once. Those are definitely employee prices. We can get close to that with online Lexus dealers, but not that low.

You can easily clean and reuse the shims and fitting parts. I have 160k on my IS and I am on my second set of shims and fitting parts. No need to swap those out at all.

You also won't need rotors until you wear through your second set of pads. The wife's car has 40k miles on it now and is still on the original rotors and everything rear brake. I have only bought the pad set for the front and replaced those pads at about 30k miles.

Good to know, thank you sir!

Do you think I should stick with the OEM pads up front then? Or is there a better compound out there with less dust. These wheels are so beautiful but a pain to keep looking fancy all the time. Thanks again for your insights!
Old 11-30-18, 03:47 PM
mercsmoker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it normal for Lexus/ GS F to have break pedal go all the way down (almost) in order for break to be effectively applied? I just test drove/ made deal and bought one...everything was well except i was surprised how far i have to press in order to get car break worked fully.
Per dealer, it's normal and 'lexus' thing which i am not buying......car got brand new tires/ rotors/break and LCERT with 30k service done.
I'm coming from break experience on BMW's and never owned LXS before so thought of checking here (if there's anything I should have service dept looked at???)
Old 11-30-18, 07:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^It is NOT normal for the brake pedal to go "almost all the way down" to the floor.

Check brake fluid level.

Lou
Old 11-30-18, 09:45 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Not normal. I even went with the replacement OEM pads and the brakes engage near the top of the pedal, just as the original performance OEM pads.

Quick Reply: GSF Brake life before servicing