GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Vinyl Wrapping window trim

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 02:46 PM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Vinyl Wrapping window trim

Looking for some advise on vinyl wrapping the window trim. I went to a shop today and was quoted $650 to wrap the window trim and plasti dip the rear emblems. I thought that was a little outrageous. Curious to what others have paid to have the same work done or if this is something I could do myself? I would consider myself pretty handy and have a good eye to detail but unsure if it's one of those things that's more of an art and expertise is needed.
The following users liked this post:
TXLexusNX (07-31-23)
Old 11-02-18, 04:19 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That price is insane! I was quoted $125 to wrap my window trim on my LS with 3M vinyl. The Plasti Dip shouldn’t cost that much to do since it seems fairly simple to according to Youtube videos I’ve seen.

wrapping the trim is time consuming if you’ve never done it. As long as you’re careful and have extra vinyl you could give it a shot. My friend used a spray on vinyl on his NX’s window trim and it looks good. He said it was easier than wrapping it himself.
Old 11-04-18, 07:02 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Thats a crazy price, just do the window trim yourself its not hard. I would recommend using autoflex aresols, it can turn out glossy like paint if you want to. The hardest part of the whole project is just masking off, if you can do that then you are good. Lots of DIY guides on it, I have mine plastidipped right now but I'll probably redo it with autoflex soon so I can get glossy like paint, similiar to craftline trim.
Old 11-05-18, 09:19 AM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info! I thought something was a little off. Guess I'll start watching some Youtube videos....haha
Old 11-05-18, 02:00 PM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 245 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MRonan83
Looking for some advise on vinyl wrapping the window trim. I went to a shop today and was quoted $650 to wrap the window trim and plasti dip the rear emblems. I thought that was a little outrageous. Curious to what others have paid to have the same work done or if this is something I could do myself? I would consider myself pretty handy and have a good eye to detail but unsure if it's one of those things that's more of an art and expertise is needed.
That price is insane..I had my front grill surround, window trim including B pillars, rear valance and chrome trim on trunk done for $250 with Avery Dennison wrap. I did the Rear emblem and GS with Plasti Dip myself but not there regular flat black but there Black Sapphire and couple coats of glossifier which cost about $20 for both cans.

The following 2 users liked this post by TarmacSL3:
1wacko (11-13-19), icee1 (10-02-19)
Old 11-05-18, 04:31 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Great work!! Excellent.
Old 11-12-19, 03:13 PM
icee1
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone in Socal refer a shop or member (that knows what they're doing) that can chrome delete at a fair price? I went yesterday, and the shop quoted me $600...
Old 11-13-19, 09:38 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

$650 is definitely excessive, I have a bigger car and the most i've been quoted was $300 settled on $180 but that was the window trim. Labor shouldn't even be that long for it, the vinyl is expensive but it isn't that expensive.
Old 11-13-19, 11:21 AM
blitzjs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icee1
Can anyone in Socal refer a shop or member (that knows what they're doing) that can chrome delete at a fair price? I went yesterday, and the shop quoted me $600...
Try contacting Don Nguyen, the forum sponsor. His thread shows a lot of his work.
Old 12-30-19, 09:15 AM
RATEDF
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I paid $400. The shop used Avery film. I did the roof myself (except for the antenna). So the $400 consisted of the window trim, antenna, and the lower portion of the side mirrors since I put on the Toms CF side mirrors.
Old 09-04-20, 07:31 AM
ScatmanATL
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Resurrecting this thread as I finally got a good quote on a "chrome delete" for my white 2017 GSF. My question is to anyone here that has completed this on their window trim, pillars and base of the side view mirrors: The shop I chose only keeps satin and gloss in stock, not matte. He mentioned that satin is the most common by far, however I am they type that would like to see it contrasted next to my car in person before I choose.

Does anyone have any photos or recommendations on matte vs satin? I don't think gloss would be a good option if I'm trying to delete chrome.
Old 09-04-20, 09:46 AM
Inertia
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ScatmanATL
Resurrecting this thread as I finally got a good quote on a "chrome delete" for my white 2017 GSF. My question is to anyone here that has completed this on their window trim, pillars and base of the side view mirrors: The shop I chose only keeps satin and gloss in stock, not matte. He mentioned that satin is the most common by far, however I am they type that would like to see it contrasted next to my car in person before I choose.

Does anyone have any photos or recommendations on matte vs satin? I don't think gloss would be a good option if I'm trying to delete chrome.
I also would like to know this. All the photos I usually see are for glossy which I don't particularly like however still significantly better than seeing those chrome pieces.

Also, can anyone chime in how long these things last? Meaning these are like stickers so they will typically last like 2-3 years before you have to do it again?
Old 09-13-20, 12:32 PM
RATEDF
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ScatmanATL
I would go gloss, and definitely not matte. I originally wrapped my roof in satin black, and did not like it. I took that wrap off, and re-wrapped the roof black. Then I got the window trim done in gloss black too.
Old 09-15-20, 11:06 AM
ScatmanATL
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I ended up going with Satin after looking at a side by side on the car. Pretty happy with the results. If you're in Georgia I have the contact info for a guy that will come to you and do the same wrapping treatment (Window trim, mirror pillars and window pillars for both sides) for $280.

The following users liked this post:
1wacko (09-15-20)
Old 09-16-20, 09:01 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

I was quoted $400.00. When I got there the installer said it was difficult due to the seal design and only charged me $100 because from 5 feet away you can still see some chrome near the edge of the seal. Do you know if he took your windows apart? Yours look pretty good.

Steve

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrapping window trim