GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

17 GSF ML Mark Levinson with upgraded FOCAL Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 12:35 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Arrow 17 GSF ML Mark Levinson with upgraded FOCAL Speakers

Decided to upgrade the ML Audio Speakers on my GSF, and after a lot of research ended up going with the FOCAL KRX2. They were on sale for almost 50% off so at that price point it was a NO brainer.

Overall sound quality & bass along with mid has improved significantly. I also got the doors dampened by Stinger Roadkill Stealth to eliminate any rattling or noise.

All Install was performed by Moe's Audio in Wylie TX. These guys did a GREAT job and answered ALL of my questions and made sure i was 100% satisfied as they did the Install step by step & allowed me to take pictures.

If you are int he DFW area and looking for Any A/V or custom work, don't hesitate to check out Moe's Audio in Wylie, TX Pics are below:

Stock Door

Door with Sound Deadning

Tweeters with Custom Bracket (Factory fit!)

Focal Speaker with Sound Deadning Rings

Pic of Car

Last edited by finny76; 05-13-18 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-14-18, 07:49 AM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

It looks like a few members are upgrading to these. Will the tweeters fit without a custom bracket ?

I'm curious to hear them as I think the factory ML is pretty decent. Thanks for sharing your feedback and photos.
Old 05-14-18, 09:03 AM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Are you still using the factory amp?
Old 05-14-18, 01:17 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Would like to know as well, are you using factory amp still?

Also, how is the sound difference?
Old 05-14-18, 03:33 PM
finny76
Advanced

Cool

Originally Posted by IMAGINTHAT
It looks like a few members are upgrading to these. Will the tweeters fit without a custom bracket ?
I'm curious to hear them as I think the factory ML is pretty decent. Thanks for sharing your feedback and photos.
The Tweeters require a custom bracket (see last pic) but not difficult to do if your installer is creative

Originally Posted by 13FSPORT
Are you still using the factory amp?
Yes using the Factory AMP (as they have built in crossovers) & everything is already setup. I Believe the ML Amp is either 12/16 channel.

Originally Posted by Kerune
Also, how is the sound difference?
The tweeters make this thing shine & the sound is clean. The Door Speakers now have a bit more bass & sound are lively!

Last edited by finny76; 05-15-18 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-15-18, 02:29 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

I came across the Focal sale and wanted to bite the bullet but two shops I came across do not advise switching out the speakers without an aftermarket amplifier due to the restrictions of the DSP on our ML. Any input on this from anyone?
Old 05-15-18, 05:39 PM
finny76
Advanced

Exclamation

I came across the Focal sale and wanted to bite the bullet but two shops I came across do not advise switching out the speakers without an aftermarket amplifier due to the restrictions of the DSP on our ML. Any input on this from anyone?
Apparently there is NO good info anywhere on this subject. I was doing a lot of research myself until another member WaterFish was the first to install FOCAL speakers using the ML Audio Amplifier. I did my install based off of his feedback.
Old 05-16-18, 09:54 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Originally Posted by finny76
Apparently there is NO good info anywhere on this subject. I was doing a lot of research myself until another member WaterFish was the first to install FOCAL speakers using the ML Audio Amplifier. I did my install based off of his feedback.
Thanks Finny, to be honest there's not a lot of info on our car's audio or focals mixed with the ML amp overall. Going by both of your recommendations, I would believe it's worth a shot. The advice I'm getting seems to be more of a general "people should upgrade the ML amp to get the best results" but I'm also hearing with all considered it's now a $6k-7k project which is obviously going to be dramatically better. If focals stay on sale I'll be looking into having it done, did you get additional sound deadening on your vehicle?
Old 05-16-18, 10:21 AM
finny76
Advanced

Arrow

Thanks Finny, to be honest there's not a lot of info on our car's audio or focals mixed with the ML amp overall. Going by both of your recommendations, I would believe it's worth a shot. The advice I'm getting seems to be more of a general "people should upgrade the ML amp to get the best results" but I'm also hearing with all considered it's now a $6k-7k project which is obviously going to be dramatically better. If focals stay on sale I'll be looking into having it done, did you get additional sound deadening on your vehicle?
The statement about getting the most out of the Speakers with an Aftermarket AMP+DSP is accurate. IMO the Focals are a step up from Factory speakers and at the SALE price should be a no brainer upgrade.
They work fine with the ML Audio Amp BUT yes they would work a LOT better with an Aftermarket AMP+DSP. I looked into that route and it was roughly $3K+, so i opted just to get the speakers installed and am happy with results.
Old 05-16-18, 10:53 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

The ML system actually is very high quality except for the speakers. I wouldnt be surprised the ML system amps are better than some of the after markets out there.

But of course if you are willing to spend 3-4k plus for a very nice amp and speakers, then there will be a difference.

I had three cars before and have always upgraded the amps, speakers, and wires. But for the ML system you only need to upgrade the speakers.
Old 05-16-18, 10:59 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Originally Posted by finny76
The statement about getting the most out of the Speakers with an Aftermarket AMP+DSP is accurate. IMO the Focals are a step up from Factory speakers and at the SALE price should be a no brainer upgrade.
They work fine with the ML Audio Amp BUT yes they would work a LOT better with an Aftermarket AMP+DSP. I looked into that route and it was roughly $3K+, so i opted just to get the speakers installed and am happy with results.
That is just about what I was looking to hear. I was told as well that ML Audio Amp + upgraded speakers could actually sound WORSE than factory setup so I was a bit skeptical but glad people have tried it first-hand.
Old 05-16-18, 12:31 PM
finny76
Advanced

Exclamation

That is just about what I was looking to hear. I was told as well that ML Audio Amp + upgraded speakers could actually sound WORSE than factory setup so I was a bit skeptical but glad people have tried it first-hand.
That could be also a possibility, BUT two members here have installed the FOCALS and are proof that the spears paired with the Factory ML Amp sound better than the stock Speakers.
Old 05-18-18, 07:42 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

1) Did you Install the Speakers with the Focal Crossovers through the ML Amp?

2) Or Did you just only replace the speakers and run them off the ML Amp?

Finny76 - I see you asked this question in the other thread - what route did you end up going ?
Old 05-19-18, 07:04 AM
finny76
Advanced

I did not Install the crossovers....
The following users liked this post:
IMAGINTHAT (05-19-18)
Old 05-20-18, 04:46 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very interesting. I had the KRX2 in my ISF but ran of Excelon double din and JL 4 channel and was beautiful.

How do the speakers sound cranked up? Do they distort quickly? the KRX2 require a decent amount of power. Never looked at the power rating of the factory ML.... Now you have me thinking!

Quick Reply: 17 GSF ML Mark Levinson with upgraded FOCAL Speakers