Project Mu Pads Review - Dusty

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 06:41 PM
hyboost
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Project Mu Pads Review - Dusty

Some background info first...
I owned an ISF for almost 7 years and ran a few sets of Project Mu NS400 pads while I owned the car. They were great pads: almost no dust and braking feel was pretty good so an overall great street pad.

Now forward to January of 2018 when I got my GSF, obviously swapping out the stock pads for Project Mu immediately based on prior experience. Not meant to get into discussion of OEM pads (original or TSB) but of a review of a few months living with the new Project Mu pads...

First of all, the Type NS for GSF is being advertised as same compound as original NS400 previously available for ISF. I can tell you guys for certain that it is NOT the same compound. Brake feel is good, on par with ISF, but these pads are barely better than OEM when it comes to dust on wheels. I initially thought that they were a big improvement, but it was probably my wallet trying to convince me that it was money well spent. Honestly, I am wiping my wheels almost daily.

Time to find something else.
Wanted to share to save you guys some money in case you’re looking for a dust-free pad. Project Mu Type NS not recommended.
The following 3 users liked this post by hyboost:
DennisGSF (04-23-18), designo (10-01-18), GSFDreams (04-25-18)
Old 04-23-18, 07:34 AM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

good info thanks. let us know what u get next and how they are.
Old 04-23-18, 10:41 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Is this David? We had a recent customer in Florida for these pads but I cannot tell if it was you or another gentleman. Just want to confirm these are indeed Type NS on your car and not B-Force or a more dusty compound. There should have been no compound change between the NS400/Type NS on the IS-F to these so I'm surprised to hear you're struggling with dust. Was this right after installation and a bed-in procedure? Typically the pads are going to be most dusty during bed in, especially if mated to old rotors with another pad's transfer layer on them since they will not be generating the same coefficient of friction as they do when riding on their own transfer layer. Would love to know if maybe thats whats going on of if the pads have been properly bedded in and the problem is persistent. Do you have any photos to share?

Best Regards,
-Matt M.
Old 04-23-18, 11:32 AM
hyboost
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Is this David? We had a recent customer in Florida for these pads but I cannot tell if it was you or another gentleman. Just want to confirm these are indeed Type NS on your car and not B-Force or a more dusty compound. There should have been no compound change between the NS400/Type NS on the IS-F to these so I'm surprised to hear you're struggling with dust. Was this right after installation and a bed-in procedure? Typically the pads are going to be most dusty during bed in, especially if mated to old rotors with another pad's transfer layer on them since they will not be generating the same coefficient of friction as they do when riding on their own transfer layer. Would love to know if maybe thats whats going on of if the pads have been properly bedded in and the problem is persistent. Do you have any photos to share?

Best Regards,
-Matt M.
Matt,
This is Rob P. I got the Type NS pads from you guys in December and they went on the car with less than 1000 miles on it. I'll try to get some pics, but trust me when I tell you that these produce tons more dust than the ISF pads. They went through the same bed-in process as all prior setups and I am now at 4000 miles so have some time on these. I was hoping that it would get better but its pretty consistent.

Wasn't intending to turn this post into sounding like i'm whining. I get that with car parts, its sometimes trial and error so I'm acknowledging that this time it didn't work as I had hoped. I was extremely happy with the ISF pads (multiple sets) and convinced others to get them just because how clean my wheels always looked. Hoping to find something similar for GSF...

Feel free to email me if you guys want to dig into this offline.

Rob
robek11@hotmail.com
Old 04-25-18, 02:33 PM
GSFDreams
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with Tom's Performer Pads and couldn't be happy. Very linear brake feel, better bite than OEM, and very importantly.... VERY LITTLE DUST..... AMEN!!!!
Old 05-25-18, 06:39 AM
jdavis500
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am all about little dust. I am giving them a try based on your rec. Ordered from Apexi.
Old 06-30-18, 01:44 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

I’d like to add that I’m having the same experience as the hyboost.

The 2010-12/13+ LS460 FSport uses the same pads as the GSF..

Based on what I read in the ISF forums I went ahead and ordered the TypeNS #F150 from SpeedfreaksUSA. With new OEM Brembo discs, my set is making a lot of dust on my freshly rebuilt SSRs. Also present from time to time is the embarrassing squeal that factory Brembos pads made. It’s been over a month with a good amount of mileage I hope the two issues disappear...
Old 08-28-18, 10:45 AM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFDreams
I went with Tom's Performer Pads and couldn't be happy. Very linear brake feel, better bite than OEM, and very importantly.... VERY LITTLE DUST..... AMEN!!!!
what about brake noise from the toms????
Old 09-28-18, 11:52 AM
jdavis500
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Tom's Performer front pads about 2 months ago. Maybe 5-10% less grip, but almost zero brake dust. I can't believe how little brake dust! I didn't turn the rotors. I am at 25k and they turn true and weren't scored. I am not a hard brake guy so I am good. Those wheels are so hard to clean. Now I don't feel the need to wash the wheels so much. No noise that I can tell.
Old 09-28-18, 04:42 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

^ Very nice! I'm assuming you have the performers?

If anyone else is interested, we have these in stock!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-29-18, 06:26 AM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jdavis500
I installed Tom's Performer front pads about 2 months ago. Maybe 5-10% less grip, but almost zero brake dust. I can't believe how little brake dust! I didn't turn the rotors. I am at 25k and they turn true and weren't scored. I am not a hard brake guy so I am good. Those wheels are so hard to clean. Now I don't feel the need to wash the wheels so much. No noise that I can tell.
$400?
https://apexi-usa.com/toms-racing/to...f-rcf?___SID=U

I guess they're not too bad seeing as how OE are running 300

Last edited by texaslexii; 09-29-18 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-29-18, 11:58 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

^ Yes sir..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-02-19, 10:31 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Is the MU type PS a more agressive pad than the NS?
Old 04-02-19, 10:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

^^^^Use of the search function would have led you here to post #515:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...uction-35.html

Lou
Old 02-26-20, 05:39 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Just sharing an initial impression on the PS pads. I was planning to get the NS pads, but there was a mixed up and I got the PS pads instead. I only got about 100 miles on the pads, so here's just an initial impression:

- Noise: none so far. I was expecting some squeaks since the PS pads are more aggressive than the NS and here people have been saying the NS pads squeak. But I have zero noise with the PS pads, even before the bedding process.

- Dust: lower dust comparing to both original OEM and TSB pads (yes I tried both), but definitely not zero dust.

- Bite: So far, the initial bite is less sensitive than the original OEM pads, but once I step down on the brake pedal a little, the car really stops. Overall bite is very good and easier to modulate the brake pedal vs. the original OEM pads. I only got about 100 miles on them, so maybe the bite will get stronger as they get worked up to 100% mating w/ the rotors.

Other things I noticed about the pad: brake sensor slot was cut perfectly. I read that the carbotech pads had the slot cut incorrectly, but this is not the case with Project Mu pads. They didn't come with any shims or backing plates, and I couldn't re-use the OEM shims as they were glued on, so I was expecting squeaks. But really to my surprise, the pads didn't make any squeaks.

So far, I'm pretty happy with the pads, will come back to report again once I get more miles on these pads.