GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Mark Levinson on the GSF

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 12:28 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Finn,

Sorry I didnt see your post and its been a while now.
​​​​​​
I believe they installed the speakers with the Focal Crossovers.
​​​​​​
I just replaced the speakers only. The ML system have plenty of power.
​​​​
Old 01-06-19, 04:54 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

These look to be 2 ohm speakers, which is rare to find in car audio. Does the ML require this impedance when replacing?
Old 01-07-19, 01:33 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Yes they are 2 ohms.

Sorry I dont know about the impedance part. But I didn't hear the installer mention anything about it.
The following users liked this post:
Gold10460 (07-23-20)
Old 01-07-19, 02:30 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Thanks, I was just curious. I also was not 100% satisfied with the ML sound although it is excellent as far as oem systems go in my opinion. I think the biggest bang for the buck improvement you can make on it is to add a subwoofer to make up for the lack of low end. I did this and am pleased with the results. It makes a pretty big difference in the overall sound.
MOB561 (08-25-20)
Old 01-07-19, 05:59 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500
Thanks, I was just curious. I also was not 100% satisfied with the ML sound although it is excellent as far as oem systems go in my opinion. I think the biggest bang for the buck improvement you can make on it is to add a subwoofer to make up for the lack of low end. I did this and am pleased with the results. It makes a pretty big difference in the overall sound.
IMO the problem is how the OE ML system crosses the sub. Its way too low (I think its somewhere around 60 hz?) so you dont hear/feel it at all. I explored the idea of putting an aftermarket JL with its own outboard amp, but it didnt work out. We tried using an audiocontrols and it wouldnt work. The only way I think I'd be able to pull it off is if I go all in and use an LC8i or FiX, recombine and flatten the entire signal, then send it to outboard amps/dsp. If I wanted to do that I would not have bought a car with the ML system, but I have never seen a GSF without it.

I replaced the entire front stage in the GSF with JL CS5 and the rear doors with CS3 and while they're 4 ohm (couldnt find 2 ohms I liked) the sound improved drastically.

However, having come from a custom sound system that had a JL 12TW3 and a 500W JL mono amp, this system is a major disappointment in the thumping department. But I am learning to live with it.
Old 01-08-19, 03:26 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by texaslexii
IMO the problem is how the OE ML system crosses the sub. Its way too low (I think its somewhere around 60 hz?) so you dont hear/feel it at all. I explored the idea of putting an aftermarket JL with its own outboard amp, but it didnt work out. We tried using an audiocontrols and it wouldnt work. The only way I think I'd be able to pull it off is if I go all in and use an LC8i or FiX, recombine and flatten the entire signal, then send it to outboard amps/dsp. If I wanted to do that I would not have bought a car with the ML system, but I have never seen a GSF without it.

I replaced the entire front stage in the GSF with JL CS5 and the rear doors with CS3 and while they're 4 ohm (couldnt find 2 ohms I liked) the sound improved drastically.

However, having come from a custom sound system that had a JL 12TW3 and a 500W JL mono amp, this system is a major disappointment in the thumping department. But I am learning to live with it.
Replacing the speakers will help the high and mids drastically. I found the focal to have very good bass for general music.
​​​​​​
I do miss my 12inch P2 punch, but in return i got alot more truck space.

And yes I am also disappointed with the stock ML system.
Old 01-09-19, 04:59 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

It's pretty bad that my standard system in my 14 RX sounds better than the ML in my 18 GS F-Sport.
Old 01-09-19, 04:13 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

I agree that the sub is crossed over too low. I had to tap into the front door speakers for signal to get the sub sounding decent. It sounds pretty good now although it would be much better with a JL fix or other dsp in the mix. That’s great you got new mids in the front. I would love to hear it if you lived closer to dfw. What did that run you total installed ?
Old 01-09-19, 07:29 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had to tap into the front door speakers for signal to get the sub sounding decent. It sounds pretty good now
wait wait wait, explain please!

I would love to hear it if you lived closer to dfw. What did that run you total installed ?
Im in SATX now, so a bit closer than before but not much. I did the c5 (500) and c3 (300) and c2-400x in the center dash (100). Soundskinned pro all 4 doors (300 materials) and around 300 in labor. So, a large chunka change but worth it since I put around 5K miles in four months...
Old 01-10-19, 12:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

And I drive around with the sound system off most of the time...
Old 01-10-19, 06:25 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
And I drive around with the sound system off most of the time...
In the summers with windows down I listen to the V8 music. But with winter and -10 degree its a bit too cold for it.
finny76 (01-10-19)
Old 01-14-19, 09:01 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Not sure if you can see it from the pic. The sub is spliced into the pink + and red - of the front speaker for a full range sound to the sub. I originally had it hooked up to the other red and white seen lower in the pic (factory sub out) but it sounded like crap. It was as if my sub had a low pass 50hz crossover on it with ZERO midbass. It’s much better this way although not perfect.

I also noticed quite a bit better bass with the sub facing the trunk lid and fairly close to the trunk lid although I have not found a good way to mount it in place yet.

wait wait wait, explain please!

Im in SATX now, so a bit closer than before but not much. I did the c5 (500) and c3 (300) and c2-400x in the center dash (100). Soundskinned pro all 4 doors (300 materials) and around 300 in labor. So, a large chunka change but worth it since I put around 5K miles in four months...

Lee350F (03-01-21)
Old 07-30-19, 02:38 PM
yiantony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove the latest A6 (2019) with its B&O surround sound system. Compared to ML on my GSF, B&O definitely has a lot more bass and surround, which means the sound is a lot more processed. I know a lot of people are into that, so if you like that type of sound, ML doesn't fit you. ML provides a very clarified sound so it does not add too much processing on it. That means you need a truly good source, and you need to tune up the volume a little bit more to hear the difference. Yes I agree that most people would love something easier to feel. Most of my friends would say A6 has a better sounding system and I don't disagree, but I personally don't want to hear the bass coming out of nowhere when listening to classical music.
Old 07-31-19, 07:29 AM
stormhamme
Rookie

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by yiantony
I drove the latest A6 (2019) with its B&O surround sound system. Compared to ML on my GSF, B&O definitely has a lot more bass and surround, which means the sound is a lot more processed. I know a lot of people are into that, so if you like that type of sound, ML doesn't fit you. ML provides a very clarified sound so it does not add too much processing on it. That means you need a truly good source, and you need to tune up the volume a little bit more to hear the difference. Yes I agree that most people would love something easier to feel. Most of my friends would say A6 has a better sounding system and I don't disagree, but I personally don't want to hear the bass coming out of nowhere when listening to classical music.
The one interesting thing I've noticed is when the DSP Surround is turned on, the treble/vocals *seem* to only come from the dash ( asically front and center ). Maybe the seat position dampens the "surround" aspect, but acoustically it feels like the vocals are coming from in front than all around.

Turn off the surround and I've noticed that bass and mid goes up, but the treble/vocals I can hear behind me as well.
Old 08-01-19, 04:06 PM
yiantony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which car are you talking about? I heard people say new ES can only be heard from the front. I have tried that car but I didn't feel it's all from the front. On my GSF I tried surround on/off and I can't feel too much diff. I'm not too good at listening tho.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson on the GSF