GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Decided to Clear Bra Entire Car - Overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 07:11 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Decided to Clear Bra Entire Car - Overkill?

So over the weekend I noticed a nice deep scratch on my passenger side door. I was able to clean it up a little with compound and polish but its still in the clear coat pretty good. Probably need to wet-sand to make it perfect. Occasionally, my detailer who did the clear bra thats already on the car and ceramic pro would bust my chops and say, "so when are we doing the rest of the car" I originally when I bought the car wanted to do the full clear bra, but felt it wasn't necessary plus it was too much money at the time. After this scratch, I decided i want to clear bra the rest of the car.. but what kills me is the cost LOL, and thinking if i had done this all from the get go i would have paid less. But dont want to deal with any scratches/swirls and everything shows up on USB. So do you guys think it'll be worth it? or am i just over reacting.
Old 02-19-18, 07:44 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I did my entire GSF... Well worth the money spent... Didn't have the funds to do it in one shot, so I did the most commons areas first (Full front, Hood, Bumper, Fenders, Pillars). For the second round I did all doors, rear bumper/trunk. Only thing reaming is the roof, which Im not sure if I'm going to do anytime soon.

Last edited by finny76; 02-20-18 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 07:49 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

What type of cost are we talking?
Old 02-19-18, 08:29 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

$3,500 to Clear bra 4 doors, Quarter Panels, Trunk & Roof and Re-Apply Ceramic Pro Gold. I think without the ceramic its about $2,500 for the paint correction and clear bra. are these fair prices?

Originally i paid $3,200 for Clear bra on Full Front, Rockers & Rear bumper & Ceramic pro gold
Old 02-19-18, 08:45 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by finny76
I did my entire GSF... Well worth the money spent... Didn't have the funds to do it in one shot, so I did the most commons areas first (Full front, Hood, Bumper, Fenders, Pillars). Fro the second round I did all doors, rear bumper/trunk. Only thing reaming is the roof, which Im not sure if I'm going to do anytime soon.
Thanks Finny, now i dont feel too bad doing it in multiple parts.. t im not the only one haha
Old 02-19-18, 01:59 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I was quoted average $4K for the ENTIRE car in XPEL or SUNTEK ultimate...
Old 02-19-18, 02:12 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

You're not over-reacting. I think it ultimately depends on how long you plan on keeping the car.

You won't get that money back on re-sale - but who cares if you plan on having the car for awhile.

I always clear bra the front of my cars, have never done the entire car but plan on it if the car is a keeper.
Old 02-19-18, 03:34 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Seems fair, but depends on the sentimental value of your car.

I paid $2300 for full front hood/bumper/fender with door edge, door cup, headlights and side mirrors with full ceramic pro. I personally could've just gotten by with the xpel so this is the cap at which I'd spend on protection.

Personally would not do the whole car, but this is also considering I wanted to get an exhaust shortly after getting the cover done. Feels like full front is already plenty and any more than that is like reducing your insurance deductible because you anticipate getting into an accident. IF it gives you peace of mind it's worth it, otherwise don't do it to be overly cautious.

Edit: sorry I have an rcf, don't compare my pricing to your bigger car.
Old 02-21-18, 05:25 PM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is definitely worth protecting the entire car because of these benefits I've experienced first hand so far
- protects the paint against environmental damage, paint chips and swirls,
- protects against hood, roof and bumper chips
- some minimal protection against door dings, door to door paint scrapes&scratches, door edge scrapes, chips
- protects against debris from front wheel pitting the bottom rocker panel and paint
- simplifies, with less effort cleaning the car and I don't worry about scratching paint when washing

In addition:
- It is the primary layer that takes the damage however it is easily replaceable to look as new.
- Minimizes or avoids the need to repaint 4 stage paint such as USB Mica 2.0 as it can be difficult to paint match the factory finish

I wrapped my entire GSF in USB with 3M Scotchgard Pro PPF and have been satisfied with it so far.
Old 02-22-18, 10:05 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Thanks Guys! I feel a little better about my decision now. Obviously wish i had did it from the get go and saved some money. but lesson learned! Will definitely be posting pics when done. USB with Ceramic Pro is crazy as it is already.
Old 02-23-18, 05:10 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Got any pics of how it looks now?
Old 03-07-18, 08:54 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by chris6878
Got any pics of how it looks now?
+1 in it for the pics
Old 03-08-18, 03:44 PM
HPLouis
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

How durable is it? How long does it last? Does it turn yellow or anything?

Thanks
Old 03-08-18, 08:47 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by HPLouis
How durable is it? How long does it last? Does it turn yellow or anything?

Thanks
The yellowing was caused by the adhesives used in older products. The modern applications shouldn't discolor with
professional installation.
Old 03-08-18, 09:52 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

How she looks now. Absolutely love this color

Quick Reply: Decided to Clear Bra Entire Car - Overkill?