GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

How often do you get compliments?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 08:03 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts
Default How often do you get compliments?

So I think everyone would agree the location and demographics of where we live has some effect on the way people look at our cars. I'm interested in what your experience has been, the general location you’re in and what you see for Lexus’s on the road.

I live in a small city in Massachusetts about 40 min outside of Boston (middle class, lots of families) and just about every week or so someone, young or old, will compliment my car in a parking lot, gas station or drive thru... or I’ll catch someone just staring at it in traffic.

On the road I see tons of RX’s, a fair amount of NX’s and IS’s, some RC’s and LX’s but rarely a LS or GS, let alone a GSF or RCF. In fact, the only place I saw another GSF was up at the track and there just happened to be 2 other GSFs and a RCF that night.
Old 02-15-18, 12:09 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

In Houston.. all of the rare cars up north are very common. Performance cars are all over the place. It’s very rare that I leave home and not see a Hellcat, Cobra or some variant of a vette. Mustangs are all over place. Very often I’d see a RCF but GSFs are rare even here. I’ve seen maybe two or three of them in the wild.

I dont have one yet.. but hoping to buy a 18 soon. Let’s see how things pan out.
Old 02-15-18, 01:26 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I live in the DC area, none whatsoever. No looks either and not even from the ricer crowd that always lurks in my area every friday and saturday night.

I have yet to see a GSF but have seen a couple RCFs and quite frankly, the GSF looks like a regular GS to the majority of people. There are TONS of GS here.

And to be honest, I kinda like being low key fast.
The following users liked this post:
Iflylo (05-08-18)
Old 02-15-18, 03:06 PM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm in Columbus Ohio.

I am probably 1 of 3 GSF's in the entire city (when I bought mine, there were 2 others at the dealer, but once they sold all 3, they didn't order any for 17 or 18). I've seen 1 on the road since i've bought mine the end of '16. No other GSFs at car meets or even at higher end cars and coffee events where you get more of the $80k+ cars. I go to cars and coffee and get some occasional compliments, but i feel like most people here are more interested in the subarus or typical tuners. I get the most compliments at the gym where people will go out of there way to chat with me because they saw me get out of the car from the 2nd floor of the gym. Not sure why.
Old 02-16-18, 02:40 AM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 113 Likes on 54 Posts
Lightbulb

Oh man, since you & I live in the same vicinity I can totally agree with you. . . Since you don't normally see a GSF in these parts once they either hear the car or see the car/color people are completely caught off guard & impressively surprised then that's when the conversation starts & the compliments come pouring out...

Haven't been to the track yet. . . . but I have seen maybe 2 or 3 GSF's in the burbs, Newton, Belmont, etc... & maybe 7 RCF's on the highways &
trust me I keep an eye out...
Old 02-16-18, 03:56 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Toronto here. I see RCFs maybe once a month but never a GSF.

oh and so far I have gotten compliments twice?

Last edited by WaterFish; 02-16-18 at 03:59 AM.
PearlFocal (02-28-18)
Old 02-16-18, 07:57 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GSFs in MA?

Didn't realize I would hear of any GSF owners being in MA. I've only seen one RCF (All white) in MA and that was in the city I live in.

I commute to University Monday - Friday via two highways for a total of an hour. Barley see any Lexus' other than your typical ES or second gen IS. Seen 2 ISF's in past 3 months. One random black one on the highway and one USB owned by a guy in a Subaru group I used to be in.
Old 02-16-18, 11:54 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jonez
So I think everyone would agree the location and demographics of where we live has some effect on the way people look at our cars. I'm interested in what your experience has been, the general location you’re in and what you see for Lexus’s on the road.

I live in a small city in Massachusetts about 40 min outside of Boston (middle class, lots of families) and just about every week or so someone, young or old, will compliment my car in a parking lot, gas station or drive thru... or I’ll catch someone just staring at it in traffic.

On the road I see tons of RX’s, a fair amount of NX’s and IS’s, some RC’s and LX’s but rarely a LS or GS, let alone a GSF or RCF. In fact, the only place I saw another GSF was up at the track and there just happened to be 2 other GSFs and a RCF that night.
In MA LS/GS are relatively rare, and any F cars are what I would call ridiculously rare. I've only ever seen one RCF, one GSF, and two ISF in the span of like a year or so. Then again I don't spend a metric ton of time where all the money is, either. (In North Shore or MetroWorst / 95 southern leg regions the numbers would probably increase. ) In contrast, RX-anything might as well grow on trees around here though. You go to an average lex dealer in MA and 60% of the vehicles being serviced are some kind of RX. As far as the sedans go its probably a weird split between IS and ES in this state, although I would say IS350s are kinda rare, 8 out of 10 times its more likely to be a 250. I drive like 400+ miles a week commuting plus other stuff, and it is rare that I even see another GS other than the one I'm riding in.

If you're driving an F-car, your "effective rarity level" is probably not far from a Ferrari or Lambo in this state.

-Mike
Old 02-17-18, 12:05 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
In Houston.. all of the rare cars up north are very common. Performance cars are all over the place. It’s very rare that I leave home and not see a Hellcat, Cobra or some variant of a vette. Mustangs are all over place. Very often I’d see a RCF but GSFs are rare even here. I’ve seen maybe two or three of them in the wild.

I think there's a direct relationship to how long the non-crap driving season is in a given locale. The further away you get from places that actually have winter, the more cool looking/performance cars you'll see because less garbage weather makes ownership more practical. In MA basically we have 4-5 months of garbage every year to contend with.

-Mike
Old 02-18-18, 12:19 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant

I think there's a direct relationship to how long the non-crap driving season is in a given locale. The further away you get from places that actually have winter, the more cool looking/performance cars you'll see because less garbage weather makes ownership more practical. In MA basically we have 4-5 months of garbage every year to contend with.

-Mike
i used to live in NY.. I know that way too well. Point I was getting to in my previous post is.. even in Houston you’ll seldom see GSFs. They are rare regardless is what I was getting to.
Old 02-18-18, 10:16 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I am in Socal (Irvine) I rarely see OTHER GSFs. I occasionally see the RCFs typically.

I don't get any compliments.....maybe maybe I've gotten 2 compliments. I've had the GSF since Sept 2016
Your average person doesn't know the difference between a GSF vs a "regular" GS 350.
Old 02-18-18, 04:26 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I know of one other GS-F owner who is a friend. Other than that, they are rare. I have received a couple of compliments from friends although I honestly don't expect the GS-F to draw attention as I consider it to be a subtle car that requires a mature, auto mind to really appreciate.
Old 02-19-18, 07:18 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I know of one other GS-F owner who is a friend. Other than that, they are rare. I have received a couple of compliments from friends although I honestly don't expect the GS-F to draw attention as I consider it to be a subtle car that requires a mature, auto mind to really appreciate.
Couldn't agree more. Only people who really know about cars notice and appreciate/comment on my GSF. For the most part I get more compliments on the color rather than the car itself, I doubt people even know what a GS-F is. They probably think its a GS350 and this idiot put orange calipers and a racerboy front bumper on it. I like being a sleeper.
Old 02-19-18, 02:49 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I parked right next to an RCF and complimented the owner on his sweet car. He didn't seem to notice (or care about) my GSF. oh well.

I did get a compliment from a shocked Mustang GT driver after I smoked him.
Old 02-19-18, 03:11 PM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 113 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesands
I parked right next to an RCF and complimented the owner on his sweet car. He didn't seem to notice (or care about) my GSF. oh well.

I did get a compliment from a shocked Mustang GT driver after I smoked him.
Trust me... he noticed... that’s why he acted liked he didn’t care...
finny76 (03-10-18)

Quick Reply: How often do you get compliments?