GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GS F Irritating Higher Frequency Sound from Somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 11:44 AM
BlackGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS F Irritating Higher Frequency Sound from Somewhere

I have a 2016 GS F that we bought new that now has +/-7000 miles on it that we have owned for about 7 months. The problem I am experiencing is a higher frequency sound coming from somewhere. This sound started about a month or so ago and is difficult to explain, it certainly was not there in the first 6 months we owned the vehicle. The sound at idle is similar to the exhaust but higher frequency, almost a whine. It is goes away once you start moving, or at least you can not hear it anymore. When driving it sounds like it comes from the rear, when riding in the rear it sounds like it is coming from the front. This sound is irritating. The sound starts after the car gets warmed up. It goes away when you stop and restart the engine but comes back soon after restarting the engine. It appears to be coming from the exhaust system somewhere. One more item on the sound, when the engine is turned off it keeps going for a split second. We had it in a week or so ago to the local Lexus dealer. As I pulled in to the service area I did not shut the engine off so the adviser could hear it and he did hear it. They had it all morning and then called me to say it was quote "...normal power train noise." coming form one of the resonators. Something to do with baffles opening then vibrating or something as the engine warmed up. I disagreed that it was normal when I went to pick it up saying this is a Lexus and my experience was Lexus got to the bottom of these types of problems. The service adviser said the tech said they had experienced something like this with IS F's but in Colorado there is not many GS F's plus the GS F was a new model and could not comment on the issue with GS F's. They gave me a number to call to pursue it further if I was not happy. I called, talked to one lady who took down my complaint, another lady called the next day and asked for further information. She then called back yesterday and said they wanted me to bring it in and see if they can locate specifically where the sound is coming from. Once they find the source of the sound then we could discuss what the remedy might entail. Long story short, I am taking it in next Thursday, Nov 9th, for them to do a more detailed search for the sound origin.

The question I pose is, has anyone else heard this sound and, if so, what was the solution to fixing it? If the stock exhaust does this would putting aftermarket exhaust on the car fix the issue? Does aftermarket exhaust void any warranty on any parts of the vehicle?

Thanks for hearing me out on this. My wife and I really like the car, it is a ton of fun to drive.
Old 11-04-17, 11:46 AM
BlackGSF
Driver School Candidate

Default GS F Irritating Higher Frequency Sound from Somewhere

I am posting this on the IS F Forum to see if there has been any experiences with this issue with IS F's.

I have a 2016 GS F that we bought new that now has +/-7000 miles on it that we have owned for about 7 months. The problem I am experiencing is a higher frequency sound coming from somewhere. This sound started about a month or so ago and is difficult to explain, it certainly was not there in the first 6 months we owned the vehicle. The sound at idle is similar to the exhaust but higher frequency, almost a whine. It is goes away once you start moving, or at least you can not hear it anymore. When driving it sounds like it comes from the rear, when riding in the rear it sounds like it is coming from the front. This sound is irritating. The sound starts after the car gets warmed up. It goes away when you stop and restart the engine but comes back soon after restarting the engine. It appears to be coming from the exhaust system somewhere. One more item on the sound, when the engine is turned off it keeps going for a split second. We had it in a week or so ago to the local Lexus dealer. As I pulled in to the service area I did not shut the engine off so the adviser could hear it and he did hear it. They had it all morning and then called me to say it was quote "...normal power train noise." coming form one of the resonators. Something to do with baffles opening then vibrating or something as the engine warmed up. I disagreed that it was normal when I went to pick it up saying this is a Lexus and my experience was Lexus got to the bottom of these types of problems. The service adviser said the tech said they had experienced something like this with IS F's but in Colorado there is not many GS F's plus the GS F was a new model and could not comment on the issue with GS F's. They gave me a number to call to pursue it further if I was not happy. I called, talked to one lady who took down my complaint, another lady called the next day and asked for further information. She then called back yesterday and said they wanted me to bring it in and see if they can locate specifically where the sound is coming from. Once they find the source of the sound then we could discuss what the remedy might entail. Long story short, I am taking it in next Thursday, Nov 9th, for them to do a more detailed search for the sound origin.

The question I pose is, has anyone else heard this sound and, if so, what was the solution to fixing it? If the stock exhaust does this would putting aftermarket exhaust on the car fix the issue? Does aftermarket exhaust void any warranty on any parts of the vehicle?

Thanks for hearing me out on this. My wife and I really like the car, it is a ton of fun to drive.
Old 11-04-17, 11:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Did they already do the fuel pump ECM reflash LSB?
Old 11-04-17, 11:54 AM
BlackGSF
Driver School Candidate

I asked them if it was the fuel pump and they said no. I did not specifically ask about a refresh but I will when I take it in. Can you tell me a little bit more about it?
Old 11-04-17, 11:56 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

They would have to prove that the aftermarket exhaust caused the defect for it to void warranty but what I would do is just remove the aftermarket exhaust prior to service to avoid any of that nonsense.

Can't say that I have this high frequency sound, it could be an exhaust leak? Keep us posted!
Old 11-04-17, 11:58 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did they already do the fuel pump ECM reflash LSB?
This was my first thought as well, fuel pump, although didn't know this was an issue with the GSF.
Old 11-04-17, 12:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

2016 GS F - L-SB-0031-16. Abnormal Noise from Low Pressure Fuel Pump. Our GS F has 17k miles on it. The OEM exhaust does NOT make any unusual noises, so they are just ducking the troubleshooting time by telling you "they all do this" and admitting there are very few GS Fs in Colorado clearly indicates they have no idea what normal is because their sample size is way too small.

Massive thread here.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-04-17 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TrevorR (11-04-17)
Old 11-04-17, 01:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No one has made mention of this on the OEM exhaust in the IS F forum.
Old 11-04-17, 02:33 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Is there any artificial sound through the speakers or intake cabin pipe in the GSF??
Old 11-04-17, 06:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes. I turn it off every time I get in the car. Can't be disabled permanently with the controls supplied by Lexus including Techstream.
Old 11-04-17, 06:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

One other thought - I got in the car one day and heard this strange hissing sound right behind me, and had difficulty pinpointing the source. I could only hear it while in the driver's seat. I subsequently figured out it was the seat ventilation system at the highest setting. Before going crazy, make sure you've turned off the seat ventilation, it could easily make a noise like you are describing too.
Old 11-05-17, 09:03 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
One other thought - I got in the car one day and heard this strange hissing sound right behind me, and had difficulty pinpointing the source. I could only hear it while in the driver's seat. I subsequently figured out it was the seat ventilation system at the highest setting. Before going crazy, make sure you've turned off the seat ventilation, it could easily make a noise like you are describing too.
I was just about to suggest the same thing Lobuxracer stated for it happened to me. I also had the fuel pump issue too and when you hear that, it is very obvious.
Old 11-06-17, 04:41 PM
Unclejake
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A metre or so of garden hose pressed to your ear when the car is idling can help pinpoint the source of the sound.

I'd check around the intake airbox etc. as it could be a small vacuum leak