GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Inflator Kit Liquid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-17, 02:22 PM
BlackGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inflator Kit Liquid Replacement

We just travelled across Kansas with plans to go to the Lexus Performance Driving School at Daytona Speedway in our 2016 GS F. Needless to say that has been postponed but that is another story. Somewhere after Colby, Kansas on I-70 we picked up a screw and started to lose tire pressure in driver's side rear. It was another 50 miles to Hays, Kansas, it was 100 deg F and it was mid afternoon. Bit the bullet and used the inflator kit. Hooked it up and put the Lexus version of fix a flat into the tire and aired it up to running pressure. Went on down the road to Hays without loosing any pressure, that stuff really works. It really puts the wheel out of balance though and you really notice it above 70 mph. Long story short, the folks in Hays just plugged it, thought they fixed it, had to get it fixed permanently and rebalanced in Topeka. The Firestone dealer in Topeka on Topeka Blvd. was a life safer, thanks!!!

All is well now but don't have any inflator kit and you really need something like that for driving where there are not many towns. I just wanted to get the liquid canister replaced and keep using the inflator mechanism. Called the nearest Lexus dealer and they could get one in a day or so for around $132, my local Lexus dealer wanted $152, turns out you have to replace the whole kit, it is just a one time shot on the kit. What a bummer.

The question I have is: Is it true you have to replace the whole kit, nobody makes a replacement cartridge for the kit? We just stopped at the local Wally world and bought the Green Slime kit for $40 with tax that injects the goo into the tire where replacement goo is only about $12 or so. This is all the Lexus inflator kit is as far as I can see except the Lexus stuff is white while the slime is green.

For those who say it damages the wheel or TPMS, I don't think so, right now all is still working well. Do you have some proof or can refer me to a document that states it does this damage?
Old 09-17-17, 05:39 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Happened to me I just bought another bottle that’s all you have to do. Pump can be reused
Old 09-17-17, 06:51 AM
BlackGSF
Driver School Candidate

Being able to buy another bottle is useful information. Can you tell me where you bought it or a part number or how much it cost?
Old 09-17-17, 06:54 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlackGSF
Being able to buy another bottle is useful information. Can you tell me where you bought it or a part number or how much it cost?
I bought it from my local dealer. I can get you the part # when I get home later
The following users liked this post:
BlackGSF (09-17-17)
Old 09-18-17, 10:25 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,337 Posts

In case anyone is interested, I will be test fitting the IS F compact spare on the GS F tonight. It might provide a heavier, but more reliable option for dealing with a flat.

I am not a big fan of any of the sealants simply because they end up costing a lot more than you think if your tire shop charges for cleaning the goop up or if the TPMS sensor fails from getting goop inside.

Has anyone considered run-flat tires? Tire Rack only shows a Pirelli option for the GS F in a run-flat, so not totally excited about having no choices.
Old 09-18-17, 11:19 AM
BlackGSF
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, lobuxracer. Yes, I am interested in your IS F compact spare. I did not know this is an option. Let me know how they fit over those huge Brembos. If it works, can you give me more details such as part description (part number, wheel size, etc) and tire make and size.

I have considered run flats but prefer to not use them. Have had run flats with numerous BMWs. In my experience in the Denver area using low profile run flats that pot holes can wreak havoc on run flat side walls, had to replace 3 on a BMW 535 over the course of a winter a couple of years ago before switching to smaller wheels and non-run flat tires. They are definitely an option but the Lexus sealant worked great when I needed it to and the Bridgestone dealer in Topeka did not charge for cleaning out the tire.
Old 09-19-17, 08:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

So I got distracted last night and didn't test fit until tonight. Survey says, not no, but hell no, the IS F spare rim will NOT clear the GS F front brakes. It is not a good option at all unless you want to damage the paint on your calipers while attempting to put on a rim far too small to clear the caliper.
Old 09-25-17, 10:15 AM
BlackGSF
Driver School Candidate

Hi, IsfClyde. Have you been able to get a part number for the replacement tire puncture repair liquid?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-17, 12:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

42606-30050 REPAIR KIT, TUBELESS TIRE

It appears to include the compressor, but may not. There is not a separate part number for the Lexus sealant in EPC that I can find. Retail price for the kit is ~$100, internet retailers are $75 and up.
Old 09-25-17, 01:56 PM
BlackGSF
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, lobuxracer. What you state is all I have found so far. Plus the Lexus dealers I have contacted wanted between $132 to $152 for the whole kit, including the compressor. Right now I just went with the Green Slime kit & will continue the search. According to IsfClyde he just replaced the bottle.

BTW, your results with the spare rim is sort of what I expected.
Old 09-25-17, 03:41 PM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Sorry for the late response guys. That's the part number it's the bottle with the fluid.
Attached Thumbnails Inflator Kit Liquid Replacement-photo402.jpg  

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-25-17 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RC51TOFUMA (09-26-17)
Old 01-21-23, 05:40 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by IsfClyde
Sorry for the late response guys. That's the part number it's the bottle with the fluid.
Do you remember where you got the refill bottle? (42606-30050)