GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Test drove the GSF today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 08:12 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Test drove the GSF today...

Stopped by my local dealer today to kill an hour, slow day at work so took extended lunch. Any way, let me start out by saying the exterior is beautiful. I currently drive a 15 GS fsport and previously a 13 GS and 08 GS. Pretty much have had 300hp for the last 8 years. I was expecting to be blown away driving 467 hp, alot more than I have ever driven but was not blown away, only in sport plus mode did it really go, maybe I wasnt driving hard enough because it was a test drive but I did floor it. anyone else feel like that?

The salesmen was telling me how sporty the ride was but I'm used to riding 20s so it felt very comfortable and actually smooth and quiet. I still definitely want to get the car in a year or so.

I also drove the LS460 as well in case I go for the big body on 22s , that was a dream on clouds with power, sales guy was telling me he was at a sales mtg 2 days ago and confirmed the 18 LS will have only one engine , the turbo 6 and no more V8 and only long wheel base, not sure how true.
Old 11-23-16, 08:25 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The full power potential is near redline. The Rcf/GSF shines in the triple digits, where as the gs/is350 engines are limp. Don't forget it's also 200 lbs heavier than your gs
Old 11-23-16, 08:40 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Good points
Old 11-23-16, 08:46 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

two things after owning the rc-f. power feel is linear, look at the speed. you are moving pretty damn fast. 2. its smooth and quiet inside, makes it less dramatic. Ill have a GSF this friday as a loaner when i bring my car in for some warranty work. ill make some better observations. but the gearing is long and it makes it "Feel" less powerful than my IS-F was. My ISF felt brutal at times with acceleration for what it was.
Old 12-08-16, 10:57 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
two things after owning the rc-f. power feel is linear, look at the speed. you are moving pretty damn fast. 2. its smooth and quiet inside, makes it less dramatic. Ill have a GSF this friday as a loaner when i bring my car in for some warranty work. ill make some better observations. but the gearing is long and it makes it "Feel" less powerful than my IS-F was. My ISF felt brutal at times with acceleration for what it was.
Completely agree here. Something about the ISF, it just felt fast, powerful and raw. I had PPE and borla on mine, so there was the added audio to it as well, but I always felt like the ISF was "faster" The RCF delivers power more linear and doesn't feel as fast.

Did you ever post your thoughts on the GSF? I am at a point where I may be looking at one, solely for the added space. Interested to hear the thoughts of those with experience across the F line. I see Lance looks like he has a GSF in his stable now too.
Old 12-08-16, 12:15 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz
Stopped by my local dealer today to kill an hour, slow day at work so took extended lunch. Any way, let me start out by saying the exterior is beautiful. I currently drive a 15 GS fsport and previously a 13 GS and 08 GS. Pretty much have had 300hp for the last 8 years. I was expecting to be blown away driving 467 hp, alot more than I have ever driven but was not blown away, only in sport plus mode did it really go, maybe I wasnt driving hard enough because it was a test drive but I did floor it. anyone else feel like that?

The salesmen was telling me how sporty the ride was but I'm used to riding 20s so it felt very comfortable and actually smooth and quiet. I still definitely want to get the car in a year or so.

I also drove the LS460 as well in case I go for the big body on 22s , that was a dream on clouds with power, sales guy was telling me he was at a sales mtg 2 days ago and confirmed the 18 LS will have only one engine , the turbo 6 and no more V8 and only long wheel base, not sure how true.
Ok I was literally in the same boat as you but did'nt test drive the car right, You have to drive the car like you would your own. I test drove it again and found it to be fun, fast nope not at all but the fun factor was what had me looking at getting one. This car def doesn't have the speed to keep up with the competition but the fun factor man is that addictive. The LS having only one engine and LWB will suck.
Old 12-08-16, 01:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz
This says NOT TRUE:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...s-ls-spy-shots

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-08-16 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 05:59 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Yeah alot of us assumed the 2018 LS would have the turbo 6 until the LS teaser and confirmation from Lexus that it'll be using the LC tweaked v8. Totally new platform shared with the LC also.
Old 12-09-16, 05:59 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Completely agree here. Something about the ISF, it just felt fast, powerful and raw. I had PPE and borla on mine, so there was the added audio to it as well, but I always felt like the ISF was "faster" The RCF delivers power more linear and doesn't feel as fast.

Did you ever post your thoughts on the GSF? I am at a point where I may be looking at one, solely for the added space. Interested to hear the thoughts of those with experience across the F line. I see Lance looks like he has a GSF in his stable now too.
I came from an ISF and you all pretty much assessed it up correctly in that the GSF is not as raw or as brutal (nowhere near either in my opinion). You all are also correct that the GSF is a dull ride when you first drive it unless you really get on it and keep it in the high end of the rpm bands. Slap it in Sport +/Track mode and then the fun-factor is firmly there (again in my opinion).

I have had mine for 3 months and I like it more and more. It really is a Jekyll/Hyde car and fun as crap especially for a Lexus.
Old 12-09-16, 08:54 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree 100%, as a daily driver the GSF is amazing quiet and luxurious with just a hint of sportiness to remind you that you are driving an "F". I have not gotten on mine too much yet, still less than 400 miles, but when you really try to push the car, even a little, it wakes up and is ready to go.

Side note, i love the stock exhaust of the GSF, not too loud not too quiet. Perfect in my opinion especially for a daily driver.
The following users liked this post:
RC51TOFUMA (12-10-16)
Old 12-12-16, 09:40 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

This picture proves, the GSF is just not a good looking car. its a shame.

Old 12-12-16, 09:50 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. I think the GSF looks damn fine.
The following 3 users liked this post by yardie876:
greys0uled (10-07-23), RC51TOFUMA (12-12-16), shu5892001 (02-01-19)
Old 12-12-16, 02:45 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Different strokes for different folks. I think the GSF looks damn fine.
Totally agree, like it more than the RCF, not to mention I fit inside the GSF.
The following users liked this post:
RC51TOFUMA (12-12-16)
Old 12-12-16, 06:24 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by willstroo
Totally agree, like it more than the RCF, not to mention I fit inside the GSF.
One man's opinion here.

While the GSF exterior does not shout look at me; the more I spend time looking at the outside of the car, I think it has some nice subtle lines, blends and angles especially for a Lexus.

Could the GSF have more outside sports appeal? Heck yes but again, it is a Lexus.
Old 12-12-16, 08:41 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a shame you can't hear that specific GSF from a photo. NOVEL really brings the 5liter to life.

Quick Reply: Test drove the GSF today...