GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GSF Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 09:21 PM
GSFbeast
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Cool, thanks. I’ll give my service guy a call.
Old 11-22-20, 01:05 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Just to help future owners with this issue. I took my car in last week for the TSB. I called ahead to make sure they ordered the parts as I didn't want it sitting unnecessarily while waiting for the new pads. The service advisor really didn't want to commit to changing them until hearing it in person. As I drove up he heard them and said we'll replace them no problem.

A week later, no squeal, little to no brake dust, no difference in pedal modulation, and maybe 10-15% less bite when braking hard.

I am very happy I did this as the brake dust alone drives me nuts leaving me to detail the car every weekend. I also don't track my track or plan to
anytime soon so the decision was a no brainer for me.

Hope that helps if you are on the fence about having this done.
Old 11-22-20, 01:29 PM
skhmund
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IMAGINTHAT
Just to help future owners with this issue. I took my car in last week for the TSB. I called ahead to make sure they ordered the parts as I didn't want it sitting unnecessarily while waiting for the new pads. The service advisor really didn't want to commit to changing them until hearing it in person. As I drove up he heard them and said we'll replace them no problem.

A week later, no squeal, little to no brake dust, no difference in pedal modulation, and maybe 10-15% less bite when braking hard.

I am very happy I did this as the brake dust alone drives me nuts leaving me to detail the car every weekend. I also don't track my track or plan to

Do you know where I can get a copy of the TSB to show my service advisor?
Old 11-22-20, 01:56 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

My experience and sentiments exactly.
Thank you,
anbark22
Old 11-23-20, 07:12 AM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skhmund
Do you know where I can get a copy of the TSB to show my service advisor?
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...4/L-SB-0013-16
Old 11-23-20, 09:06 AM
serturbo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

thank you for posting your experience.. hopefully others will have similar results with their dealership trying to correct this issue...
Old 11-25-20, 07:53 PM
AtomsilGSF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just had my pads replaced as well. My 17 has 24k miles and it only squealed at low speeds. The new pads do not make any noise, hardly any dust, and performance is about the same. I know a few people have said the initial bite isn’t as good but no complaints here. All I did was let my service advisor know, and she took care of it no questions asked. Amazing service!
The following users liked this post:
anbark22 (11-25-20)
Old 12-02-20, 11:50 AM
skhmund
Rookie

Originally Posted by AtomsilGSF
I just had my pads replaced as well. My 17 has 24k miles and it only squealed at low speeds. The new pads do not make any noise, hardly any dust, and performance is about the same. I know a few people have said the initial bite isn’t as good but no complaints here. All I did was let my service advisor know, and she took care of it no questions asked. Amazing service!
My Lexus dealer said that my car is not covered because it is a 2017 and the TSB says 2016 only. I’m wondering if I should call Lexus customer service?
Old 12-02-20, 12:00 PM
AtomsilGSF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My Lexus dealer said that my car is not covered because it is a 2017 and the TSB says 2016 only. I’m wondering if I should call Lexus customer service?
I would. Or talk to someone higher up. Get a copy of the service bulletin if need be. My service advisor didn’t question me whatsoever.
Old 12-02-20, 03:04 PM
skhmund
Rookie

Originally Posted by AtomsilGSF
I would. Or talk to someone higher up. Get a copy of the service bulletin if need be. My service advisor didn’t question me whatsoever.
I emailed my service advisor at Lexus Northside in Spring, Texas. When she said they could not do it, I called Lexus corporate for help. The customer representative stated it’s not about the year, it is my VIN. She said they check for the VIN to see if my car is affected by the TSB. I’m going to try another Lexus dealership for a second opinion.
Old 12-02-20, 06:12 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

I emailed my service advisor at Lexus Northside in Spring, Texas. When she said they could not do it, I called Lexus corporate for help. The customer representative stated it’s not about the year, it is my VIN. She said they check for the VIN to see if my car is affected by the TSB. I’m going to try another Lexus dealership for a second opinion.
That's garbage. I had it done without issue on my 2018. Here is the updated L-SB showing '16-'18 MY.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...30011-9999.pdf
Old 12-02-20, 06:28 PM
skhmund
Rookie

That's garbage. I had it done without issue on my 2018. Here is the updated L-SB showing '16-'18 MY.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...30011-9999.pdf
Thank you! Let me show them this and see what they say.
Old 12-02-20, 06:38 PM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Does this mean the 2019-2020 are not covered? My ‘20 has a lot of dust and squeals very lightly at slow speeds.
Old 12-02-20, 10:23 PM
serturbo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamG
Does this mean the 2019-2020 are not covered? My ‘20 has a lot of dust and squeals very lightly at slow speeds.

my 2019 that I bought L cert and had brand new brake pads squeals like crazy to the point it sounds like metal on metal ... I even commented on the noise to the sales guy who drove it out of the underground garage to the front of the dealership .. good thing I have an email from the sales manager acknowledging that the vehicle was making that sound right from the beginning .. I’m def going to take my car in to my local dealership as soon as car gets PPF’d..
Old 12-03-20, 01:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

L-SB-0013-16 Rev2 March 3, 2016 has been updated to include all model years through 2020. Your SA is lazy and not looking at the LSB.

The following users liked this post:
dreamG (12-03-20)

Quick Reply: GSF Brake Squeal