GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

PPE headers, JOEZ midpipe with OEM mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 01:25 AM
UZS160
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PPE headers, JOEZ midpipe with OEM mufflers

I was wondering if anyone has this setup and can answer if there is drone in the cabin? I want to get this setup but afraid it’ll drone too loud and make the gf upset. Can anyone chime in?
There’s a video on YouTube of a 4GS that has the title “gs350 f sport w/ ppe headers and invidia mid pipe” it was posted almost two years ago and the two comments on it weren’t replied to so I didn’t bother to comment and ask.
Thanks
Old 02-18-19, 08:26 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Member @mikec78 had JoeZ midpipe with OE exhaust. He said that combination did not produce any drone but again he did not have PPE headers. Reason I know this is cuz I inquire with him about droning before I bought my full JoeZ CatBack exhaust, now that system drones badly.

Hey thanks again for your opinion on the RSR Active coilovers. My set is scheduled to deliver today. So excited can't wait to install them.

Last edited by jdpdata; 02-18-19 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 10:10 AM
UZS160
Rookie

Yeah his videos on YouTube are what made me get just the joez midpipe instead of the whole system.
Old 02-20-19, 01:51 PM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is drone - I even went so far to put sound proofing in the trunk, back seats, etc...and still drone.
There is a thread out there that I measured the "drone" in the car and there is no way around it.

And glad you liked the youtube videos as I hope it helped. I ended up going back to stock because of the drone. Doing just the midpipe sounded nice with no drone - IMHO
Old 02-20-19, 02:07 PM
UZS160
Rookie

You had the PPE headers installed with just the joez midpipe?
Old 02-20-19, 02:16 PM
UZS160
Rookie

I was searching on google and there’s a way to get rid of drone but you have to cut into the exhaust and weld on some extra piping. Search on google “j-pipe drone” and you’ll see what I mean, I might end up doing that if the drone with headers is too much. Main reason I really want headers is there’s a new tune that gives our cars a backfire/burble tune. If you have Instagram, go to @_shizzyy_ and look at his recent videos.
Old 02-20-19, 04:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,623 Posts

I hate a car that drones. It sounds child-like and is very annoying. A car that drones reminds me of a cheap-*** Honda some teenager has tried to make sound loud. Making a Lexus drone is like buying a $1,200 suit and spray painting graffiti on it. Or, having expensive separate mono tube amplifiers and playing music through $4.00 speakers that have torn cones. Let the kids with the Hondas and Mustangs sound stupid... A Lexus should never be made to drone...

Last edited by bclexus; 02-20-19 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 06:12 PM
UZS160
Rookie

I think everyone hates drone but everyone has their tolerence level for drone. I personally can deal with it to a certain extent but if I can get rid of it, I will. And having drone in a Lexus is nothing like getting a expensive suit and spray painting graffiti on it, im buying quality parts, the drone is just a side effect. If you were talking about cutting into stock exhaust to make it loud then yeah maybe in certain situations.
Old 02-21-19, 07:11 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by UZS160
I think everyone hates drone but everyone has their tolerence level for drone. I personally can deal with it to a certain extent but if I can get rid of it, I will. And having drone in a Lexus is nothing like getting a expensive suit and spray painting graffiti on it, im buying quality parts, the drone is just a side effect. If you were talking about cutting into stock exhaust to make it loud then yeah maybe in certain situations.
Completely agree with you. One of the first thing I did after I bought my GS, was an exhaust upgrade. Although I do hate the drone sometimes, the burbles I get at idle and noises it makes at WOT is why I still have it on my car. Stock was way too quiet for MY taste. The welds, fit and finish of the JoeZ is top notch, not some cheap tin can Honda Civic exhaust. Performance upgrades always brings some compromises to comfort. You can't ask for aftermarket coilovers to ride soft like stock or 20" wheels to be comfortable. I didn't buy my GS because I wanted a comfortable cruiser, I'd have gotten a LS if I wanted that. Our cars are an expression of ourselves, so I make mine as unique to my own taste. If it brings me pleasure, I'll do it all day long. When I'm bored of it, sell it and move on to the next thing. Life is too short to worry about what others think. It's just a car, don't worship it, just drive it!
Old 02-21-19, 10:26 PM
UZS160
Rookie

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Completely agree with you. One of the first thing I did after I bought my GS, was an exhaust upgrade. Although I do hate the drone sometimes, the burbles I get at idle and noises it makes at WOT is why I still have it on my car. Stock was way too quiet for MY taste. The welds, fit and finish of the JoeZ is top notch, not some cheap tin can Honda Civic exhaust. Performance upgrades always brings some compromises to comfort. You can't ask for aftermarket coilovers to ride soft like stock or 20" wheels to be comfortable. I didn't buy my GS because I wanted a comfortable cruiser, I'd have gotten a LS if I wanted that. Our cars are an expression of ourselves, so I make mine as unique to my own taste. If it brings me pleasure, I'll do it all day long. When I'm bored of it, sell it and move on to the next thing. Life is too short to worry about what others think. It's just a car, don't worship it, just drive it!
I completely agree with this
Old 02-22-19, 04:29 PM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not have the PPE headers and all that you are doing is adjusting for the resonance frequency to cancel it out to lose the drone. To me it isn't worth the effort and the j-pipe has been around for a long time (though the length of the pipe has to be the right size to offset the frequency band you are trying to cancel). Also google "Helmholtz tubes"

The correct name is 1/4 resonance pipes, otherwise known at J-pipes, and incorrectly known as Helmholtz pipes (Helmholtz is correctly applied to chambers). They work by being open to the exhaust before the muffler, 1/4 of the legnth as long as one of the resonant soundwaves, and capped at the other end. The sound wave is then reflected back into the exhaust at 1/2 wavelength, perfectly out of sync with the wavelength that's coming after it, thereby canceling it out. This is essentially the same principle as noise-canceling headphones.

Check this thread out as it has some good calculations and info (even though it is a different car, the concept is the same):
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ltz-tubes.html

The objective is to "bounce" sound back into the exhaust system at 1/2 length of the frequency your droning at.
Here is the formula you need to use:
(1100/y)/4=y then z=(y)*4
y is the frequency at which you are droning...
z is the overall length the "j pipes" need to be
Old 03-17-19, 12:34 AM
UZS160
Rookie

My bad, I completely forgot to reply to this lmao but thank you for the info. I plan on doing the resonance pipes if there is drone. I also ordered the tune package from RR like 2 weeks ago during their tax season sales. It includes headers, intake, and tune. I’m also thinking of going with the OEM GSF mufflers instead of our OEM GS350 mufflers. There’s a video of someone who did the GSF rear bumper conversion and he had an apexi midpipe with the GSF mufflers and it sounded pretty good.