GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Radio abruptly stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 04:20 PM
SuperGuest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio abruptly stopped working

I have a 2013 GS350 with 65k on it and when I got into the car after work today the radio stopped producing sound. The radio turns on and changes channels and from satellite radio to FM to AM- but no sound. When I turn the volume ****, nothing happens, the volume number doesn't appear. The earliest appointment at my Lexus dealer is next Thursday which is a long time to drive in silence.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Any areas that could that I could check?
Old 09-26-18, 04:56 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Check the fuse for your amp, probably located in the trunk on the right under the flap on the floor.
Old 09-26-18, 05:02 PM
SuperGuest
Driver School Candidate

I checked the manual and checked the fuses labeled audio under the passenger side...ill give that a look
Old 09-27-18, 03:47 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey, just had this same problem myself. Sounds identical to your problem, all of my radio functions appear to work according to the screen, but no sound from any source or feedback sound from the remote touch. I had water somehow get into the area of the trunk where the amp is (back right under the floor panel) and I'm assuming it ruined my amp. Just ordered a new amp, so I will find out soon if indeed my amp was ruined. I hope for your sake it is just a fuse and not the amp. Here is my thread, and some other relevant threads, you can take a look:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lp-please.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...for-water.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-in-truck.html

Let me know what you find out, as I am currently in the same situation as you. I cannot for the life of me figure out how the water is getting in. Thanks.

Edit: Also checked my fuses in the passenger footwell area, they were all fine.
Old 09-27-18, 04:07 PM
SuperGuest
Driver School Candidate

I will definitely check that out... I dont think lexus could have put the fuse panel in the passenger footwell in a less accessible area lol such a pain. Mine still has the Certified Warranty, hopefully its covered.
Old 10-02-18, 04:41 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Did you have this checked out by the dealer yet?
Old 10-02-18, 05:10 PM
SuperGuest
Driver School Candidate

Not yet, earliest appointment is Thursday
Old 10-03-18, 09:13 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Cool, I didn't realize it hadn't been very long since your original post... lost track of time I guess. I got a new amp and my audio is back to working. I'm just curious to hear if you have water intrusion in the amp compartment like I do, and if the dealer is able to figure out where it is coming from.
Old 10-19-18, 07:24 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Any update on this?

I bought a new amplifier and built a little waterproof box for it haha. Put it back in the compartment. No one would really notice that the trunk carpet isn't right unless they started feeling the whole thing... only thing that kinda sucks is I can't put the tool tray back in there. Plan to get the leak diagnosed and fixed eventually.
Old 10-19-18, 10:32 AM
donkiboy
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Any update on this?

I bought a new amplifier and built a little waterproof box for it haha. Put it back in the compartment. No one would really notice that the trunk carpet isn't right unless they started feeling the whole thing... only thing that kinda sucks is I can't put the tool tray back in there. Plan to get the leak diagnosed and fixed eventually.
Has this trunk water intrusion been affecting only 2013 models for the most part?
Old 10-20-18, 06:30 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by donkiboy
Has this trunk water intrusion been affecting only 2013 models for the most part?
not really sure. Mine is 2013 though.
Old 10-22-18, 01:17 PM
SuperGuest
Driver School Candidate

Dealer told me the amp needed to be replaced. They didnt indicate why and i forgot to ask, being in a rush
Old 10-22-18, 01:24 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Ah, ok... well, make sure you keep an eye on that compartment after heavy rains and/or car washes to make sure you don't have water getting in. I'd hate to see other people get screwed on that when they're out of warranty. A used amplifier ran me just shy of $400, and they are $1050 new.
Old 10-22-18, 01:58 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Sad that we don't get to know what happened. That's my biggest beef with the dealer: they often cannot diagnose things, only replace them.

I remember my 2001 GS430 ML had a horrible noise from the trunk, turned out to be the amp cooling fan failing noisily.
It was a standard 30mm fan, replaced for like $10, and never heard another peep.
Edit: I just googled GS350 Mark Levinson Amp and found the thread!
Old 10-22-18, 02:01 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Well, to be fair, OP didn't ask the dealer because they were in a rush. Mayyybe they knew why it failed, but you are probably right that they just said, "eh it's broken throw a new one in there." I'm very curious as well, but hey, if you're in a rush you're in a rush lol.

If I had any idea how to diagnose/fix electrical components like this, I would have done that instead of buy another one, that's for sure. Pretty sweet that you were able to fix yours with a $10 fan!

Quick Reply: Radio abruptly stopped working