GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 12:15 PM
GSBLKBLK
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Navigation Sucks

Anybody else have issues with their navigation. Just telling you to go south when you need to go north. Totally unreliable, especially once there's traffic involved. Re-routing to the most insane routes. Brutal, cant even trust it any more.
Old 03-28-17, 01:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Has the NAV in your car changed the way it used to perform for you? Or, is the NAV in this car new to you?

All NAV systems have little quirks that sometimes send you on a slightly different route than what you would expect. And, if the map has not been updated it may not know about new entrance/exit ramps and roads. You say you can't trust it anymore - does that mean it has really gone bonkers to the point it doesn't work at all?
Old 03-28-17, 03:21 PM
jdigga99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't noticed any issues as mentioned above, it seems to perform as expected when I forego Google maps and actually use the car navi. However the whole DFW area seems to be under construction and I'd like to have my maps updated (I'm in a 2014).
Old 03-28-17, 04:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdigga99
I haven't noticed any issues as mentioned above, it seems to perform as expected when I forego Google maps and actually use the car navi. However the whole DFW area seems to be under construction and I'd like to have my maps updated (I'm in a 2014).
There has been a whole lot of new and modified Interstate, tollway, turnpike, highway, road and street construction in DFW, plus thousands of new and changed points-of-interests. I got the 2015 map update for my 2013 (that came with the 2012 map), and it made a world of difference around here. I suspect you have the 2013 map in your 2014 car, which is out-of-date for the DFW area.
Old 03-28-17, 04:29 PM
tc1728
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use the navigation on my phone, the one in my car is not user friendly at all in comparison...
Old 03-28-17, 06:12 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tc1728
I just use the navigation on my phone, the one in my car is not user friendly at all in comparison...
Exactly what I do... bought cell phone holder that goes into CD disk slot.

I would say none of car's navigations is perfect unless you use built in 4G LTE (2016+ models) + google maps or wave apps.
Old 03-28-17, 08:03 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My nav is perfect no issues...then again I use google maps
Old 03-28-17, 08:19 PM
Ehsun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The nav sucks rn. I recommend getting a after market Apple Car Play if u have an iPhone or just wait for a new nav update . I hate the controller too
Old 03-28-17, 09:13 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not a fan of the nav system. Especially when roads are changing constantly (lots of new onramps and offramps here in the Bay Area) and you'll have to spend an arm and a leg to get the maps updated.

If you have a cell phone holder, Google Maps or Waze are the way to go.
Old 03-29-17, 07:35 AM
Handi
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:Originally Posted by jdigga99
Originally Posted by bclexus
There has been a whole lot of new and modified Interstate, tollway, turnpike, highway, road and street construction in DFW, plus thousands of new and changed points-of-interests. I got the 2015 map update for my 2013 (that came with the 2012 map), and it made a world of difference around here. I suspect you have the 2013 map in your 2014 car, which is out-of-date for the DFW area.
I have a 2015 GS 350 [Production 12/2014] with the original maps and I noticed this morning that the roads were shown perfect for the North end of D/FW Airport.
They were all redone in the past year or two. I was surprised as I didn't expect the map to be correct.
I do remember my system did 2 different updates a month ago but seems weird that a map update would of been part of it. I believe the update had to do with the menu part of the system.
A nice surprise.
If you drive around D/FW Airport check your roads and let me know if they are correct. I can say 100% that the roads of East 114 to East 635 are exact.
Old 03-29-17, 08:46 AM
cyberdavek
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSBLKBLK
Anybody else have issues with their navigation. Just telling you to go south when you need to go north. Totally unreliable, especially once there's traffic involved. Re-routing to the most insane routes. Brutal, cant even trust it any more.
I had a problem with my 2013 ES navigation system. I'm not sure if the same software was used in the GS at the time or what model year you have. Mine would tell me one direction via the voice, but if you looked at the screen it would tell you the correct direction. It would do other quirky things like tell me that exits were on the wrong side of the highway and route me to go past turns and make U-turns. It would only do it at some intersections as well. Here is a video of what I am talking about.
. The intersection in the video has been there for YEARS, and nothing has changed about its layout to this day other than more lanes.

I was able to get the dealer to do a firmware update which corrected the problems I was having. I'm not sure if this helps at all but I know how annoying it was to get wrong directions while trying to find things in traffic.
Old 03-29-17, 09:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Handi
Quote:Originally Posted by jdigga99
However the whole DFW area seems to be under construction and I'd like to have my maps updated (I'm in a 2014).

I have a 2015 GS 350 [Production 12/2014] with the original maps and I noticed this morning that the roads were shown perfect for the North end of D/FW Airport.
They were all redone in the past year or two. I was surprised as I didn't expect the map to be correct.
I do remember my system did 2 different updates a month ago but seems weird that a map update would of been part of it. I believe the update had to do with the menu part of the system.
Check your NAV to see which map issue you currently have. If you have not received a map update your 2014 model car should have the 2013 map.

To see what your current NAV map information is: Go to Menu > Information > Map (upper portion of the screen)

You may have had only the new firmware update at some time on or after August 17, 2015. Anyone getting the latest map update on or after August 17, 2015 will receive the latest firmware update, which is required before receiving the map update.
Old 03-31-17, 06:24 AM
Handi
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Check your NAV to see which map issue you currently have. If you have not received a map update your 2014 model car should have the 2013 map.
To see what your current NAV map information is: Go to Menu > Information > Map (upper portion of the screen)
You may have had only the new firmware update at some time on or after August 17, 2015. Anyone getting the latest map update on or after August 17, 2015 will receive the latest firmware update, which is required before receiving the map update.
The Menu/Information/Map is not correct for my menu system. Menu/Information takes me to a different location with 4 options to select, Fuel Consumption, Traffic Incidents, Weather and Lexus Insider.
Give me an hour or so and I will find the info.
Old 03-31-17, 09:38 AM
Handi
Rookie

My maps are
MAP Version- 21-34-17 [2014-06-1]

That is from Options at the top left of the Map screen then Map Data.
Old 03-31-17, 11:09 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Handi
My maps are
MAP Version- 21-34-17 [2014-06-1]

That is from Options at the top left of the Map screen then Map Data.
Your 2015 model year car has the 2014 map version, which is typical and two years old now. New map versions are always dated mid-year (6th month/June) and are available to Lexus dealerships in late Fall to early Winter of the same year.

Quick Reply: Navigation Sucks