GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is it necessary to change engine oil and any filters in a 45k maintainance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-17, 10:36 PM
KennyZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is it necessary to change engine oil and any filters in a 45k maintainance?

Hi everyone.

I've just finished the 45K service on my 2013 GS350 AWD. Since the car is an CPO, the maintainance is free at any dealer. However, when I go though all the item in the maintainance report, I only find a lot of inspection stuff. No oil changing, no filter changing. Only windshield blades and battery in the key got replacement.

It looks a little bit wired to me cause they didn't change the engine oil or any filters.

PS. I got the CPO car@40K and it is my first maintainance
Old 03-05-17, 05:08 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyZ
Hi everyone.

I've just finished the 45K service on my 2013 GS350 AWD. Since the car is an CPO, the maintainance is free at any dealer. However, when I go though all the item in the maintainance report, I only find a lot of inspection stuff. No oil changing, no filter changing. Only windshield blades and battery in the key got replacement.

It looks a little bit wired to me cause they didn't change the engine oil or any filters.

PS. I got the CPO car@40K and it is my first maintainance
The oil change intervals are at 10K increments, I think on the 5K,15K....45K services it is pretty much rotating tires (for AWD) and inspection stuff. You can check the maintenance schedule on the owner's manual for all the specific details.
The following users liked this post:
KennyZ (03-05-17)
Old 03-05-17, 08:00 AM
LexusLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same at 35k

Just yesterday I went through the same at 35k. I only have 4 service intervals paid for though so I'm kinda miffed I wasted one on toping off fluids. I was also told that two tires are pretty much gone which is upsetting as well because I just got the car in November.! Shouldn't that have been part of the CPO cert? The dealer now wants $329 each. That's a good coin more than a couple of months worth of lease payments.
Back to the the service, how do I reset the service light when I reach 45k?
Old 03-05-17, 08:48 AM
luckytige
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the 45k and they did wiper inserts, key fob battery, rotate balance and align all four tires, lube drive shafts (AWD) top off all fluids and a few other things.
this is my 3rd service by the way one more left...
Old 03-05-17, 08:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLexi
Just yesterday I went through the same at 35k. I only have 4 service intervals paid for though so I'm kinda miffed I wasted one on toping off fluids. I was also told that two tires are pretty much gone which is upsetting as well because I just got the car in November.! Shouldn't that have been part of the CPO cert? The dealer now wants $329 each. That's a good coin more than a couple of months worth of lease payments.
I suspect the four service intervals you have includes the 5k intervals where no engine oil and filter change is required, so you only have (or had) two service intervals that include an engine oil and filter change. I don't think you can choose only the engine oil and filter change intervals for the ones you want applied.

Most 'car people' don't even mess with the 5k interval, because those intervals are mere inspections...with the exceptions of tire rotation, which cannot be done on cars with staggered tires. Most people have their tire dealer (e.g. Discount Tire) do the rotations anyway, which are done at no charge...where Lexus charges for tire rotations.

There is a minimum tire tread depth for CPO vehicles. Your particular car may have had tires that were very close to that minimum depth when it was sold to you.

To reset the maintenance reminder, follow this procedure below:

1- Switch the display to Trip Meter ‘A’ with the engine running.

2- Turn the engine switch Off.

3- While pressing the ‘ODO Trip’ button, turn the engine switch to the IGNITION ON mode (do NOT start the engine because otherwise the reset mode will be cancelled).

The message ‘Resetting of Maintenance Data’ will appear on the display.

Continue to press (hold) the Trip Meter ‘A’ button until the trip meter displays: 000000.
Old 03-05-17, 09:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The 161 point CPO inspection is not as meaningful as one, at first, might think. Most of those 161 inspection items are things that you or I could do ourselves in a short amount of time. They include things like making sure that the power windows all open, making sure that all of the light bulbs are still okay, making sure that the car starts, etc. They are not, by any means, an indication that everything on the car is "like new". For things like tires, brake pads, etc., there is a minimum level of useful life left that must be met to meet CPO standards. For tires, it is 5/32 of an inch of tread. While you can legally drive down to 3/32, I would want to make sure that I was replacing tires at around 4/32. Thus, if the tires barely met the 5/32 CPO standard, it would likely mean that you would be needing to replace those tires within a handful of thousands of miles after you bought the car. So, it is incumbent on the buyer to check items like that or else to risk having to spend a good amount of money shortly after buying the vehicle. Also, the customer can ask for the CPO checklist for the car, which would have shown just how much tread was left on the tires.

The following link shows what the CPO checklist actually includes.

http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...t-brochure.pdf

As far as replacing the tires is concerned, you likely would be able to replace them for less than half the amount that the Lexus dealer quoted you if you buy them at somewhere other than a Lexus dealer.
Old 03-06-17, 09:36 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

RE: Tires - same thing happened to me. Car was CPO but the tires were pretty awful after driving a couple thousand miles on them. Had to have them replaced within 6 months of purchase.