Interior Fan Noise, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 05:32 AM
bnzlva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Fan Noise, HELP!!!

Hey everyone,

I have an out-of-warranty 2013 GS350 with a fan noise coming from the center of the dash around the CD player/display. It sounds like a failing/dirty cooling fan ticking on an old-school desktop computer, which makes me wonder if its something in the entertainment system. The noise starts as soon as the car is started and remains until it is turned off. I've tried the following basic troubleshooting:

1. Cycle through HVAC settings, adjust fan speeds, turn HVAC off; No affect on the fan noise.
2. Turn the radio/audio off; No affect.
3. Intervention with Fr. Lankester Merrin and Fr. Damien Karras; Pazuzu persists.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Am I lucky enough for there to be a TSB? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bnzlva; 01-10-17 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 06:03 AM
sibs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had this issue as soon as it started getting cold out, took a video and had it replaced under warranty
they said it was likely a failing fan
Old 01-10-17, 09:56 AM
bnzlva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sibs
i had this issue as soon as it started getting cold out, took a video and had it replaced under warranty
they said it was likely a failing fan
Do you recall what was replaced? I'm trying to fix it myself if possible...
Old 01-10-17, 11:17 AM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had had the same problem on our 2013, it turned out to be a cooling fan in the stereo system. System was replaced under warranty and problem was gone.
Since you are out of warranty, I believe that they would replace the unit as a exchange, they remove your original unit, you pay a fee and they replace it with a refurbished unit. This is cost saving, rather than buying a brand new unit at full price. Then your original unit is sent back to be factory refurbished. They may also have a service to just send your unit off for repair at your expense. Just some thoughts.
Old 01-10-17, 11:27 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by MH6
I had had the same problem on our 2013, it turned out to be a cooling fan in the stereo system. System was replaced under warranty and problem was gone.
Since you are out of warranty, I believe that they would replace the unit as a exchange, they remove your original unit, you pay a fee and they replace it with a refurbished unit. This is cost saving, rather than buying a brand new unit at full price. Then your original unit is sent back to be factory refurbished. They may also have a service to just send your unit off for repair at your expense. Just some thoughts.
If swap option isn't available, check local or online junkyards. Stereo system probably wouldn't be affected too badly in a crash. The GS has been around long enough for used parts to be around.
Old 01-10-17, 02:11 PM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same issue on mine, but its only when I start it up for the first time , and its cold out... lasts about a minute... I may have to take a video of it and show it to my dealer...
Old 01-10-17, 07:41 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

If anyone that has experienced this problem could share their video, that would be fantastic for the rest of us. I'm curious at how this sounds and how loud it is.

I requested the same in the previous topic where this was mentioned: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l-whining.html

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 01-10-17, 08:56 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I hear something coming from exactly the same location yall are talking about but brushed it off thinking it was some what normal.
Old 04-06-17, 01:25 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bnzlva
Hey everyone,

I have an out-of-warranty 2013 GS350 with a fan noise coming from the center of the dash around the CD player/display. It sounds like a failing/dirty cooling fan ticking on an old-school desktop computer, which makes me wonder if its something in the entertainment system. The noise starts as soon as the car is started and remains until it is turned off. I've tried the following basic troubleshooting:

1. Cycle through HVAC settings, adjust fan speeds, turn HVAC off; No affect on the fan noise.
2. Turn the radio/audio off; No affect.
3. Intervention with Fr. Lankester Merrin and Fr. Damien Karras; Pazuzu persists.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Am I lucky enough for there to be a TSB? Thanks in advance!

I was able to take out the center dash stereo/climate control unit. Disassemble it, replace the defective fan, and put it back together, no more clicking noise.

See my posts here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...se-rattle.html
Old 12-02-17, 09:05 AM
CAC1
Rookie

peasodos,
just read your other post. I'm good with taking the radio apart but getting the unit out of the dash is a bit daunting to me. any help with that would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-04-17, 12:04 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CAC1
peasodos,
just read your other post. I'm good with taking the radio apart but getting the unit out of the dash is a bit daunting to me. any help with that would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-04-17, 04:38 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same issue that has just started in the cold weather. Humming on start up from the radio head unit area. Mine is a 2013 as well.
Old 12-04-17, 07:34 AM
sibs
Driver School Candidate

same thing here, had it replaced in may and just came back up again - but its intermittent
Old 12-13-17, 04:53 PM
CAC1
Rookie

Did I read somewhere that there is an HDD spinning platter in there as well? If so, could that be making the noise?
BTW, I called Lexus today. Rep said she could not find anything out about this problem. Long story short: she said I needed to take it to a dealer for eval (at my cost) & estimate for repairs. Then present that info to Lexus (customer experience group) for them to decide on whether or not they will "assist" in the repair.
This really cold weather has really ramped up the noise but it does go away after everything has warmed up. not so on short trips.
Old 12-13-17, 11:59 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CAC1
Did I read somewhere that there is an HDD spinning platter in there as well? If so, could that be making the noise?
BTW, I called Lexus today. Rep said she could not find anything out about this problem. Long story short: she said I needed to take it to a dealer for eval (at my cost) & estimate for repairs. Then present that info to Lexus (customer experience group) for them to decide on whether or not they will "assist" in the repair.
This really cold weather has really ramped up the noise but it does go away after everything has warmed up. not so on short trips.
I took the head unit out(not disconnecting it), turned the car on and can hear it's the clicking from the fan on the side of the case. I then stuck something inside the fan grill to stop the it from spinning(Then turn the car on) no more clicking. Problem diagnosed.

Quick Reply: Interior Fan Noise, HELP!!!