GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Center Dashboard Noise (Rattle)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 08:16 PM
BrandenF
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center Dashboard Noise (Rattle)?

I have a 2013 GS, RWD. 33k miles. This is my third Lexus. Wife owns an 05 GX that we will drive till it dies. Had a 2010 RX also. The problem I'm about to describe occurred on the RX and now this GS which makes me crazy. The bottom line is that I have an intermittent noise that comes from the center of my dash. It sounds like someone is clicking a PC mouse very, very fast. It sounds like it is coming from behind the navigation. I've had it to the dealer multiple times and gone all the way to corporate. The problem is that I have a Murphy's Law situation in that it doesn't occur on demand. I've even sent them a video of the noise but since they don't hear it themselves they won't touch my dash to fix it. Since it had this same noise now on two different vehicles I know it is a manufacturer problem and not just one vehicle. Both cars have navigation. Has anyone seen this or possibly have any ideas? I'm to the point where I'm thinking of selling the car because I get so angry when it occurs. It stinks because I love everything else about the car. I just can't get support from Lexus because they say the video isn't enough. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (06-26-17)
Old 03-29-16, 10:58 AM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're not alone. This is also happening in my 2013 GS. There's also a rattle that sounds like its coming from the driver side of the dash around the windshield. I've taken apart the bottom part of the dash and searched but couldn't find where the rattle is coming from.

If there is a "how to" on how to take the Nav Screen out I'm willing to hunt down the rattle myself. If not I'm wondering if the remainder of the CPO warranty will cover the work for me?
Old 03-29-16, 11:30 AM
BrandenF
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for getting back to me. Since I have had this problem in two different Lexus vehicles I know it is not unique. I've spent hours at the dealership on it. The issue is that they will not do anything without their also hearing the rattle. It is so frustrating because I have literally had days where it was happening for an hour drive. Then I pickup the Lexus tech and it stops. It's almost like I am on candid camera or something that it is so bad. Lexus has told me this will always be a warranty issue for me since I've documented it so much.

I just don't know. I'm really hoping someone has a recommendation. I was thinking about it today and again, it sounds like it is coming from behind the Nav but there is also a speaker/vent or something there. Could it be tied to that?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited by BrandenF; 03-29-16 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-29-16, 12:06 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

I'll be taking my car in for the passenger seat sensor TSIB and I will have the tech check into the rattles. I'll post anything they find.
Old 03-29-16, 12:06 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

These kind of issues can make you want to pull your hair out. Hopefully someone here can help. Can you describe the ambient conditions, temp, radio, climate control settings, windows, moonroof, engine speed, transmission gear? Essentially does it do it regardless of operating conditions? Is the clicking speed always the same tempo? Just a thought, a nail or bolt in your tires- that would click with the pavement. The clicking would get faster as you speed up. I know you said in the dash, but this isn't the passenger seat belt buckle hitting against the door frame?
Old 03-29-16, 12:39 PM
sibs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this stuff has happened in pretty much every car i've owned

these awful Massachusetts roads inevitably knock something loose
Old 03-29-16, 03:08 PM
BrandenF
Driver School Candidate

The noise occurs typically when it's colder or warmer than normal. However, it occurs regardless of whether or not the a/c or heater is on. Definitely not a tire or something because it is not constant. It's an intermittent noise originating from the center of the dash. Occurs with or without the radio on also. Everything is closed and it can occur at low speeds around the neighborhood or higher speeds. It can occur driving over a bumpy road or on a smooth road. It's just an intermittent noise that I would kill to be able to replicate on demand.

I'm so excited for the feedback from the group. Thank you!

Last edited by BrandenF; 03-29-16 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 03:35 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Is there a cd/dvd disc loaded in your stereo- if so eject it. Is it coming from the clock? Try using both the forward and backwards time adjust buttons. Maybe a clock gear problem. The other thing is sounds like to me is the internal hvac gears and vent doors that change positions depending on which vents, windshield/floor/dash, it's trying to use. I see you said ac heater didn't make a difference but are you running dual temps- different temp settings for both front seats? If you have rear seat climate controls are they on? Is your cabin air filter clogged with debris? Do you have anything hooked up to the usb port, or aux port in the armrest? Sorry for pelting you with questions
Old 03-29-16, 04:04 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandenF
The noise occurs typically when it's colder or warmer than normal. However, it occurs regardless of whether or not the a/c or heater is on. Definitely not a tire or something because it is not constant. It's an intermittent noise originating from the center of the dash. Occurs with or without the radio on also. Everything is closed and it can occur at low speeds around the neighborhood or higher speeds. It can occur driving over a bumpy road or on a smooth road. It's just an intermittent noise that I would kill to be able to replicate on demand.

I'm so excited for the feedback from the group. Thank you!
Absolutely.
To prevent these nasty rattles from occurring in the first place, I think they should have made the 4GS Luxury spring rate softer than what it is, and more E Class like ; of course this will compromise the steering response and terminal grip.
For those who want firm springs, sharper turn in, and higher terminal grip - there is always the F Sport model to choose.
Old 03-29-16, 05:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

My guess is that the clicking/grinding noise is coming from the air mix (blend) damper servo motor unit. This air mix servo motor unit has a small motor that gets its input signal (voltage) from the vehicle's HVAC system to either open or close a damper door that controls the flow of blended air through the dashboard ducts. Usually an amplifier circuit in the HVAC system controls this servo motor, and uses positive or negative voltage to the little motor to move (forward or reverse) the pivot arm that opens or closes the damper door...based on cabin air parameters, e.g. temperature, humidity, etc.

These servo units are rather delicate and can easily become damaged when one or more of the multiple plastic reducer gears (worm and spur gears) become unmeshed or broken, or the unit's plastic pivot arm that opens/closes the damper door becomes jambed. Most of the time the culprit is the little worm gear that is mounted on the tiny motor's shaft breaks. This problem exists in different car brands and models, not just Lexus/Toyota.

Some DIY owners (with cars out-of-warranty) have elected to try to repair/fix the damaged servo unit - some successfully, and some not. I think the price of a new servo unit is around $150 to $200. I've heard that some labor (only) estimates have been as high as $800 to replace the unit. I feel sure that some models are a lot more labor intensive to replace the unit than others.

Typically, you will hear the clicking/grinding noise when the temperature is colder or warmer than your vehicle's system is set...and when the vehicle's inside temperature comes close to matching the desired temperature (or when the outside temperature matches the desired set point temperature) it will start making the noise - in other words for example, the car's HVAC temperature is set on [say] 72° and the car's inside temperature is (or has become) ~72° and the outside ambient temperature is about the same at ~72° - this is when it reaches the (thermostat) threshold and the servo motor receives signal voltage to operate the damper door....but the gears are locked-up so you get a clicking or grinding sound.

The air mix servo motor unit is located behind the dashboard near the center, beside the duct work that feeds air to the supply outlets.

This is what a typical air mix servo motor unit looks like...

Last edited by bclexus; 03-30-16 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-29-16, 06:39 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Next time I can get mine to rattle, I will upload a video.
Old 03-30-16, 06:00 AM
BrandenF
Driver School Candidate

Thank you again everyone, I really appreciate it. I'll take this to the dealer and see what they say. Though, I'm scared they won't do anything until they can "hear" it. Unfortunately this continuously is my biggest issue due to it being intermittent.

I welcome all thoughts and comments. Again though, thank you!
Old 03-30-16, 07:07 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Hehehe rattles in a Lexus. My '15 GS has an annoying "ticking" or rattling noise emanating from the driver side B pillar. At first I thought it was coming from the seatbelt adjuster so I literally stared at it over every bump but I don't "see" or hear the noise. Then somehow I figured it might be the "oh sheet" handle and just pressed on it tightly going over bumps and the noise is gone. Just goes to show rattles are unavoidable even on cars with less than 2k miles like mine. There hasn't been a single Lexus product that I've own doesnt have a rattle here or there or weird dash noises. I know how you feel and drives me crazy as well and its like they know you are bringing them to a mechanic so it behaves itself until the second you leave the dealership.
Old 04-05-17, 10:56 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandenF
I have a 2013 GS, RWD. 33k miles. This is my third Lexus. Wife owns an 05 GX that we will drive till it dies. Had a 2010 RX also. The problem I'm about to describe occurred on the RX and now this GS which makes me crazy. The bottom line is that I have an intermittent noise that comes from the center of my dash. It sounds like someone is clicking a PC mouse very, very fast. It sounds like it is coming from behind the navigation. I've had it to the dealer multiple times and gone all the way to corporate. The problem is that I have a Murphy's Law situation in that it doesn't occur on demand. I've even sent them a video of the noise but since they don't hear it themselves they won't touch my dash to fix it. Since it had this same noise now on two different vehicles I know it is a manufacturer problem and not just one vehicle. Both cars have navigation. Has anyone seen this or possibly have any ideas? I'm to the point where I'm thinking of selling the car because I get so angry when it occurs. It stinks because I love everything else about the car. I just can't get support from Lexus because they say the video isn't enough. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

If you have a ticking sound coming from the cd player area, it's a defective fan on the back of the car stereo unit.
I removed it and confirmed the fan was making the noise. Also started the car with the unit out and dead silence.

I took on the task of dissembling the entire unit to replace the defective fan.

This is the defective fan making the clicking noise.
This is the location of the defective fan.
So much disassembly required to get to that fan.
New fan coming in tomorrow. I'll report when I put everything back together.
The following 3 users liked this post by peasodos:
disonlam (11-17-17), GregCanada (04-07-17), Im2bz2p345 (01-20-19)
Old 04-06-17, 12:33 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Interesting peasodos - I would have never expected to be the cause (or a "potential cause"). Definitely keep us posted.

~ Im2bz2p345

Quick Reply: Center Dashboard Noise (Rattle)?