Calling all OEM, Smart Start, Drone Mobile Remote Strart Users

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 10:20 AM
GS350DRIVR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all OEM, Smart Start, Drone Mobile Remote Strart Users

Hey all,

I just got a CPO 2014 GS 350 and want to add a smartphone enabled Remote Starter to the car. The Enform Remote is not compatible with this model year. so the only real options are the Directed Smartstart or Compustar Drone Mobile.

Now here is the thing. I've been reading that remote starters (both OEM and Non-OEM) for Lexus models turns off when you open the door. I previously had a 2010 G37x and had the Viper Smartstart installed by the big blue box with the yellow tag. The G37x exhibited the same shutoff when I opened the door. HOWEVER, I found a way to defeat this by locking/unlocking the door locks prior to opening the door (after remote starting) using the comfort access button on the door handle. I was eventually able to configure the remote start to keep the doorlock in the locked position when the remote starter worked and thus only had to unlock (using the comfort access button) the vehicle after the remote start. The configuration was done without accessing the actual remote starter unit or any wiring. It was done through sequencing the remote start and lock/unlock functions in the smartphone app. i.e. remote start then locked or unlocked (can't remember) via the smartphone app and the car retained staying lock when remote starting. This allowed me to remote start, unlock via comfort access button, get in, put the car in drive and go. I'm wondering if this work around can be done with Lexus vehicles with OEM and Non-OEM remote starters. If anyone out there willing to test and provide your feedback, please share!

Note: I only tested with the comfort access button because i never used the key fob buttons to unlock the car, but the key fob may work as well.
Old 08-10-16, 10:56 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

nope it shuts off. Safety feature as soon as the door opens. using viper smart start. I start the car from my app.

Last edited by popping; 08-10-16 at 10:57 AM. Reason: edit.
Old 08-10-16, 10:58 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

It's a Lexus thing. It will shut off every time.

Last edited by yardie876; 08-10-16 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-10-16, 07:06 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, what they said. Don't know of any way around it...
It should be like my wife's Jeep GCL. It doesn't turn off when the door is opened. Just touch the start button with the brake pedal depressed (with the fob present of course) and you're off. Toyota has some stupid "safety features" for sure

BTW I have the Viper Smart Start as well
Old 08-11-16, 11:09 AM
PDF84
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Viper smart start too and it shuts off as soon as the door, or trunk is open. According to my installer there is no way around it.
Old 08-11-16, 11:12 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PDF84
I have the Viper smart start too and it shuts off as soon as the door, or trunk is open. According to my installer there is no way around it.
That's strange. I can open the trunk w/o it killing the engine. Overall, I'm still on the fence w/ smart start. I don't know if its the installers fault or what, but the viper app never gives me correct information like if remote start is working, or if my doors are locked, etc.
Old 08-11-16, 11:26 AM
GS350DRIVR
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the responses. Hope someone can find a work around. Seems there could be quite an interest in such a device.
Old 10-14-16, 02:54 PM
vvlex
Driver School Candidate

I am looking at getting the Drone Mobile installed at my next visit. For those that have it, other than the car shutting off, what are the pros and cons that you've found? Does it interact with the heated steering wheel...can that start up automatically when you start the car? Right now, you have to push the button any time you want to turn it on, unlike the heated seats that turn on automatically if it's left that way. Thanks
Old 10-14-16, 05:33 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vvlex
I am looking at getting the Drone Mobile installed at my next visit. For those that have it, other than the car shutting off, what are the pros and cons that you've found? Does it interact with the heated steering wheel...can that start up automatically when you start the car? Right now, you have to push the button any time you want to turn it on, unlike the heated seats that turn on automatically if it's left that way. Thanks
Unless they tap into it, probably not. Smart start doesn't do it.
Old 10-17-16, 09:42 AM
vvlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by popping
Unless they tap into it, probably not. Smart start doesn't do it.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking it's doubtful too. Luckily, the steering wheel and seats heat up pretty quick. I just wish it was the entire steering wheel that heated up.
Old 10-17-16, 10:52 PM
murdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was getting the app/phone remote start stuff installed worth it for you guys? I hate the sequence of presses that is required to start via the key fob, I think it's almost as retarded as the car shutting off when you open the door.
Old 10-18-16, 04:41 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by murdoc
Was getting the app/phone remote start stuff installed worth it for you guys? I hate the sequence of presses that is required to start via the key fob, I think it's almost as retarded as the car shutting off when you open the door.
Pressing the lock button 3x doesn't bother me at all. The car shutting off still angers me greatly though. Get it together Lexus.
Old 10-18-16, 10:19 AM
murdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yardie876
Pressing the lock button 3x doesn't bother me at all. The car shutting off still angers me greatly though. Get it together Lexus.
Yeah maybe I'm just being a little too critical. Renting cars 90% of the year, I'm just used to the press lock and double tap the start button of GM and Ford. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it isn't all that much different. It just felt weird and inconvenient to press the lock 3 times. lol
Old 10-18-16, 12:33 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by murdoc
Viper smart start app used to be horrible.. but its improving. I like it for the simple fact of the range of things. I can start it from anywhere.